How many of you have food stored in case of an emergency??

by Lady Liberty 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Good evening everyone,

Another topic here made me think of the Mormons who are counseled to have a years worth of food on hand in the event of an emergency. Food, water, money and gas are all things suggested to save. So my question is that with the uncertainty and volotivity of the Market, who here is planning ahead for their families in case of a financial collapse of our market?

I know Fema suggests keeping certain things on hand in case of an emergency. Here is the food storage plan for Mormans I found on the Internet. http://www.theideadoor.com/FoodStorage.html Thought it was a pretty good plan. Just rotate the new food in with the food you have on hand to avoid spoilage. Even if you don't have a years supply on hand which is obviously a huge amount of food, some sort of foresite seems like a good idea to me. What about you guys?

Are any of you planning ahead just in case??

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• John Doe
    John Doe

Yup, I've got an extra 50 lbs. just in case. ;-)

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Yup, I've got an extra 50 lbs. just in case. ;-)

LOL....I've got at least 10-15.......

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Heres the shopping list from www.ideastore.com thought it was interesting!

L.L.

Food Storage for $5.00 a Week

RS/$5.00 a week.pdf

Week 1: 61bs. salt Week 2: 5 cans cream of chicken soup Week 3: 20 lbs. of sugar Week 4: 8 cans tomato soup Week 5: 50 lbs. wheat Week 6: 6lbs. macaroni Week 7: 20 lbs. sugar Week 8: 8 cans tuna Week 9: 6lbs. yeast Week 10: 50Ibs.wheat Week 11: 8 cans tomato soup Week 12: 20 lbs. sugar Week 13: 10 lbs. powdered milk Week 14: 7 boxes macaroni and cheese Week 15: 50 lbs. wheat Week 16: 5 cans cream of chicken soup Week 17: 1 bottle 500 multi-vitamins Week 18: 10 lbs. powdered milk Week 19: 5 cans cream mushroom soup Week 20: 50 lbs. wheat Week 21: 8 cans tomato soup Week 22: 20 lbs. sugar Week 23: 8 cans tuna Week 24: 6 lbs. shortening Week 25: 50 lbs. wheat Week 26: 51bs. honey
    Week 27: 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 28: 20 lbs. sugar Week 29:5 lbs. peanut butter Week 30: 50 lbs. wheat Week 31: 7 boxes macaroni and cheese Week 32: 10 lbs. powdered milk Week 33: 1 bottle 500 aspirin Week 34: 5 cans cream of chicken soup Week 35: 50 lbs. wheat Week 36: 7 boxes macaroni and cheese Week 37: 6lbs. salt Week 38: 20 lbs. sugar Week 39: 8 cans tomato soup Week 40: 50 lbs. wheat Week 41: 5 cans cream chicken soup Week 42: 20 lbs. sugar Week 43: 1 bottle 500 multi-vitamins Week 44: 8 cans tuna Week 45: 50 lbs. wheat Week 46: 6lbs. macaroni Week 47: 20 lbs. sugar Week 48: 5 cans cream mushroom soup Week 49: 5 lbs. honey Week 50: 20 lbs. sugar Week 51: 8 tomato soup Week 52: 5 lbs. wheat Some weeks you will have leftover change. Save the change each week in a kitty to be used for the weeks you may exceed $5.00 (like wheat or milk). You will end up with: 500 pounds of wheat 180 pounds of sugar 40 pounds of powdered milk 12 pounds of salt 10 pounds of honey 5 pounds peanut butter 45 cans of tomato soup 15 cans of cream of mushroom soup 15 cans of cream of chicken soup 24 cans of tuna 21 boxes of macaroni and cheese 500 aspirin 1000 multi-vitamins 6 pounds of yeast 6 pounds of shortening 12 pounds of macaroni This should be enough to sustain two people for one year. For every two people in your family add $5.00 more and double or triple the amount of the item you are buying that week.
  • jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I have alway kept a pantry. After 9/11 I stocked up on rice and beans and canned goods. Today I have about a 30 day supply of food.

I find it hard to save more than that. I need to study the morman site to get some ideas.

good topic.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

500 aspirin??? I guess all that cooking from scratch will give you countless headaches!

Swalker

• Warlock
    Warlock

LL

No offense meant, but I read about "The Coming Financial Collapse" in the 1980's starting with Dr. Ravi Batra, along with many other financial "doom and gloomers". They all sound like J.W.'s to me.

When it comes, it comes. No one will see it coming, but everyone will claim "they called it".

As for stored food and water, it should be automatic for anyone living in "earthquake country" like I do.

Warlock

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Some have felt that if anyone knew you had food, and it got bad enough, you would be raided and killed for your stockpile. So, you would have to look like you're starving and loosing weight to others for any chance of survival. Or, you might need to carry a 'big gun'!

Another problem, a lot of people today have a hard time just buying the food they need daily, no less stock piling it!

Outaservice (who has 8 gallons of ice cream saved for a disaster)

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

I have some extra provisions stored in my butt, upper arms, and gut.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

That shopping list is ridiculous for people living in small apartments. If I tried to buy all that stuff, there would be no place to put it, and I'd end up with rats in my eaves, chomping down on wheat. I could not afford to buy all the storage containers for all that shit, LOL~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit