How many of you have food stored in case of an emergency??

by Lady Liberty 31 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I tend to keep quite a bit of food on hand in my freezer and pantry.

It's seemed odd to me but it's how I feel comfortable. This thread made me think back to the early 70's when my parents built a big storage area for canned goods and such in preparation for the great tribulation. Probably there is a connection.

However, I *do* live in earthquake country and it's good to have some sort of supply on hand. What I was unprepared for when the '94 quake hit was water. I had no water on hand. So now I keep a case of water in the trunk of my car, granola bars, and hiking boots or tennis shoes (sneakers).

-Aude.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Aude did u remember how Anheiser Busch in North Hills gave away fresh water in cans during that time?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

We do. Lots of Chef-Boy-R-D, extra gas, and water. We even have an evacuation & meetup plan. Darn hurricanes force us to do it.

Skeeter

• fairchild
    fairchild

I really like Bobbi's post. If you go through an emergency just once, and you're cut off for several days, that's when you realise that you should always be prepared. I never stocked up until my neck of the woods was completely cut off due to a huge snowstorm, followed by an ice storm a few years ago. There was no power, no water and no heat. It was far below zero. This made me realise that anything can happen, any time, and it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Some people make fun of me, because I might be a bit extreme in "being prepared" but to each his own. If that's what makes you feel secure and comfortable, then by all means, stock up. It's not hurting anyone to do so and I think it's a smart thing to do. I store my dry foods such as rice, flour and sugar in 1 gallon jars that I bring home from work. It doesn't cost me a dime, and they would be trown in the recycling otherwise. The jars are dated for proper rotation. Being quite poor, I could never buy food for several months at once, but I did it a little at a time. Now I just go grocery shopping once a month and buy what I need for the month, and rotate. I have a dynamic flashlight. When it needs recharging, just pull the handle out and wind it up. I have enough food to last me about 6 months although you'd be surprised how much food you go through in a month. I always retrieve my seeds from the vegetable garden, so I have seeds for the next season to get my vegetables going. I also have chickens.

• tula
    tula

Good lord people!

What about just a few seeds so you can generate a garden?

Some quick growing things. Many types of lettuces.

How about a sprout bag? You can have food in 3 days from a sprout bag.

It wouldn't be bad to have some extra "survival type" foods in an emergency.

For one thing, I recommend chia seed. It doesn't take a lot of storage space, it's cheap, easy, quick, immediate food supply.

As a matter of fact the Indians used it for survival food when they made long trips from the mountains to seashore to trade goods. They didn't have time to stop and kill buffalo. Heck...they may not even see any buffalo. They carried chia seed in their pouches and that, plus whatever vegetation they found along the way, sustained them.

Also, bee pollen and honey are survival foods. Honey needs no refrigeration. You can mix the pollen into the honey and it will be fine.

powdered carob has a lot of energy and is a food that can help sustain you in famine.

Also, I would suggest growing other foods that many people would not recognize as a food source.

Such as Yucca plants, amaranth, chickweed, purslane.

• teela(2)
    teela(2)

I do. I have a large pantry as I do a lot of cooking. I also keep chickens and have a bee hive on the property. We are on rain water stored in a tank for household use. We don't live in the country just semi rural. The vege garden is small but self sustaining through chicken manure. Fruit trees dot the section. Neigbours call me barbara (from the goodlife) as a joke. I enjoy my hobbies. I do not spray and have no modified plants/trees on the section. I tend to think of it as a healthy lifestyle, but if we need to, I could survive for a couple of months.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

It is better to be prepared a year too soon than a day too late.

Clyde

• anewme
    anewme

Like the others who live in earthquake prone areas, we do keep some water and canned goods and some bleach to disinfect as a standard supply we replenish monthly.

In October 1989 there was a big earthquake here which affected many.

But even then, many areas were not so affected and so commerce continued.

Its a good idea to keep canned pet food and baby food and medical supplies.

But keeping emergency equipment near the door? Not anymore. I did that for a while after the big earthquake as recommended then put it all away.

I guess it is a good idea now and then to be reminded to be a little self sufficient in case of emergencies.

What I would really miss is JWD!!!!!!!!!

Anewme

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Well, I don't know about you all, but I have about 25 lbs of lard stored in my gut region.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I used to mock the people who stored food for emergencies - but after watching what happened after Katrina, I realized that in a disaster of that proportion, you are on your own unless you want to go to a large stadium with a load of criminals.

Also, since I have lived here, we have had a 7.1 AND a 7.6 earthquake. Two different years we had the worst earthquake in the world - so now I keep some supplies on hand, including pet food - which I didn't see on that list. Reminds me I ought to get more water - have used up some of mine. I also paid attention to a problem I hadn't thought of before Katrina - having enough meds on hand. People had a real problem getting their meds. So now I skip a dose once a month or so, and have stockpiled about a month ahead on most of my meds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit