How many of you have food stored in case of an emergency??

by Lady Liberty 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Maybe we should just move to Salt Lake City, where all our neighbors will have lots of provisions.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Brings back memories of all the whack jobs that built shelters and hoarded supplies when facing the Year 2000. I am a firm believer in being prepared. You should see my trunk, trauma bag, blankets, tool kit, flares, water, O2, kitty litter (Traction and spill control), a change of clothes, etc. But I think having a year's worth of food is unrealistic for most.

In developed areas a more practical suggestion IMO is to be able to be self-sufficient for at least 72 hours or even better one week.

After a large scale emergency where the infrastructure has been destroyed or significantly damaged, it will take time for authorities to establish new systems for food/water/medical distribution. The more self sufficient you can be the less you will be impacted by the crisis.

There will be food/water available through NGO's and the Red Cross but that supply is limited and the lines lengthy. For pyscho/social benefits it is far better to wait it out with your family in your own home rather than living in an arena full of cots.

Here is a link to one publication "Be Prepared Not Scared" that discusses personal preparedness

http://www.redcross.ca/cmslib/general/prepared.pdf

This is the Government of Canada's 72 hour Guide to Personal Preparedness:

http://www.redcross.ca/cmslib/general/epweek72hour_guide_e.pdf

Also keep in mind seniors and those with disabilities also have unique challenges that need to be considered for Personal Preparedness. This is a Guide prepared by Emergency Management Ontario on the topic:

http://http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/English/publications/comm_safety/6350_EMO_V2.pdf

Personal Emergency Preparedness is great thing but don't let doomsday advocates convince you to go overboard.

• brinjen
    brinjen

The only emergency I give any real thought to is cyclones, I make sure I get my kit ready every year with around a weeks worth of food.

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

During the blackout a few years ago, we realized we had to stock up on a few things. Now we have water and non perishable goods stored and cash on hand if needed. I would like to get a generator but have nowhere to put it.

I really want to get one of those crank up flash lights. We had the power go out a few weeks ago and while candles are nice, not really practical for moving around. Not to mention trying to see what size battery you are searching for with the candle held so close to your face is not safe.

Bobbi( who can whip up a great meal on the bbq if needed)

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear friends Happy Sunday!!,

Thank you for all your replys. Not to worry, I have no room for a years worth of food either. But I do think it would be a good idea to keep stocked up on a few things for a few days. It wouldn't cost that much, but I would rather be safe then sorry in the event of a power outage (which this area is known to have in the winter)..etc... or even in a financial crunch.

Was mainly curious if the majority were storing food, and I if was a minority or not....so thanks for all your replys, you answered my question.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Just a little stored.

You might want to add some guns and ammo to the list,

After about 4 months when everyone else is starving, you might have to defend your stash. lol

• changeling
    changeling

Not me. If push comes to shove I will eat my parents.

changeling

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Just a quick question.

Has there ever been a documented case of anyone having saved their lives by having a huge stockpile of groceries in a disaster?

...or actually needing a year's worth of supplies stuffed under their beds?

CyrusThePersian

• greendawn
    greendawn

What's the point when there isn't any disaster looming on teh horizon? It would be simply a paranoid attitude to store so much food let alone that many won't have enough space for it.

I probably have nearly two month's supply of food (for one person) but that just happens without me thinking about it or planning it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Good point Cyrus. After Northridge in '94 I gave thought the batteries, a flashlight, food and water for a few days might be in order. In reality though all I had to do was drive about 15 miles away and all this stuff was available without the huge lines. I am mindful now of keeping a full tank of gas now. No power = no gas at the pump. Also my gas cut off wrench came in handy as I had a gas leak. In a worse case scenario? I'll eat my wife. The secret is in the sauce

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit