Dying Professor's Lecture of a Lifetime

by mrsjones5 31 Replies latest jw friends

• OBVES
    OBVES

Could you tell me in details ?

Or may be now after the lecture what would you tell the young people what they should do with their lives ?

• OBVES
    OBVES

Suppose you are to die next week on Friday .Being wiser now after the professor's lecture what would you tell the people what they should do with their lives ?

• Gopher
    Gopher

THANK YOU MRS. JONES for posting that !!!!

Randy Pausch is showing pragmatism, perspective, courage and humor as he faces his last months of life. He is almost exactly my age, and this really hits home.

He said so much I liked. Here are two of my favorite parts:

"Life has a finite amount of time, short or long, and life is TO BE LIVED."

"You'll be surprised how helpful people can be if you tell them the truth...Be the kind of person others want to help."

And so much more. What an inspirational presence he brings into the room.

This moves me so much more than religious figures who told you to wait for some future afterlife to really live (a.k.a. "put the Kingdom first"). NOW is the life we know we have. Those who postpone living will surely feel empty when their time is up.

Randy Pausch surely has had a full life, overflowing with so much to give.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You're welcome Gopher

• OBVES
    OBVES

Dear Lady , what I have read there is not what the true life of the true believer is about. And my impression is you probably were never a real Jehohav's Witnesses and no wonder you might have left the group to live like the people of this world are living ,right ? Those who left the Organization seems to have fallen from the frying pan of limitations ,inconveniences the true worship requieres of the true believers into the fire where they want comfort themselves by living this life out like normal people do -the people of this world . It is about going with the main stream what other people are doing is the most convenient and free of troubles etc.

Thers is nothing good in the professor's lecture except some human ordinary emotions .The professor already stated in the beginning of lecture it will not be spiritual and about religion ! It is enough to ignore his speech ! How come the standing ovation he got ?

• Gopher
    Gopher

OBVES this man has courage. Do you know the value of courage?

We all know you have your beliefs. Fine. Please quit trying to denigrate this man because he didn't want to talk about his religion (or lack thereof).

Your negativism on this thread will likely turn more people off to whatever the hell you're trying to say. Because you cannot acknowledge the validity of the warm human message Randy Pausch brings, why should we take your posts on this thread seriously?

Thanks again, Mrs. Jones! That was a real inspiring speech. It makes me want to go out and hug someone!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you again Gopher

Obves, I wasn't going to respond but you knew I would when you started to slam my integrity just because I wouldn't justify myself to you about this thread thereby showing what a jerk you truely are. I don't care what you think about me whether you think I was a jw or not. Makes not a difference in my life. I posted this because it was such a feel good thing in the face of tragedy. Take what you will or want from Randy Pausch's lecture but leave me the hell alone.

Peace out

Josie

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thank you, Josie, for providing that link. You can tell by looking at him that Professor Pausch has led a rich and rewarding life.

The brief while I was at college, I had a chemistry professor whose lectures were SRO. The man was just superb. Oh, and he also had a deep and abiding faith in the Creator. So much for "worldly" people, huh? I shouldn't have ever stopped my schooling. But, I digress.

OBVES, I used to think just like you - that everything and everybody had to be measured against the WTS yardstick. What a fool I was! That's all I've got to say on that.

Thanks again, Josie.

Sylvia

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

bttt

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Thanks for posting this. My moms cousin was just diagnosed with this type of cancer. Basically, by the time you find out about it, there's nothing to stop it.
    I am trying to send her a card, I haven't spoken to her since I was a kid (she lives far, far away) and I want to send positive vibes. I found a card that plays "I'm a survivor". It says "You're spirited, you're strong, you're a survivor" I figure it would work well. She is taking the chemo to prolong her life as long as possible. It is a hard thing to wrap your head around. To try on their shoes for a moment, and know you will not have the chance to live long. We all live a second away from death. Every car ride is a chance. But this is different. There is no putting off living today to the fullest. There is no substitute for positive thinking. I wish them both all the peace and comfort in the world as they stare this rival in the eye. God be with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit