I did it for two hours last night....

by AK - Jeff 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Attended another church service.

I enjoyed the modern music at the beginning of it. The 'sermon' or message was a discussion of Leviticus chapter 3. I found it interesting, but not particularly inspiring. Afterward I was cornered by one of the zealots. A nice guy really, but a real Bible thumper. He reminded me of me when I was a Jw. I was always the guy who spent the entire time after a meeting talking with a visitor, trying to sell him/her our version of Truth.

It seems that this little 'independent' church is pretty fundy. They seem to take the Bible very literally. This is a synopsis of what I gathered from the conversation with the fellow;

• We are living in the last days. The 'church age' he called it.
    • The Rapture will take all believers to heaven soon.
    • When the Jews take control of the Temple again, then the Rapture followed by the Tribulation will begin soon.
    • The 144,000 are literal Jews who, following the Rapture, see that indeed Jesus was the Messiah
    • When the forces that oppose them, stop the new grain offerings in the Temple, the Tribulation will be starting.
    • The dead [not destined for heaven I think] are really 'dead'. For now. They will literally come to life after the 1000 years.
    • Jesus will reign on an earthly throne for 1000 years.
    • Hell is a place that God designed, not with intent of torture, but because those who reject Him are not able to be in his presence.
    • Paradise and Hell were compartmental areas in the bowels of the earth. After Jesus went to Hades [the paradise side] for three days, he then left and emptied it. Thus the evildoer could actually be with Jesus in Paradise that day.

I don't think I will be going back. I may have gotten some of what he said akilter. But this was pretty close. I got that same ole' feeling - though he didn't say the words, that, 'We have the Truth. No one else has it right that disagrees with us. As long as the mainstream churches accept our view of Jesus at least, and his divinity, they might might make it through too. But mostly, we have the Truth."

It was too fundy for me. We talked about cults, including the one I have left. But all the time he is talking, I am thinking that all I see here indicated a cult too. Of course he didn't see that forest due to the trees.

Jeff

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I went to one church, a while back and I have to say it was unlike any witness experience, people seemed geniunely happy to be there, very friendly, but that creepy Orson Wells-Time Machine feeling kicked in and that was the end of that. I am very pessimistic I suppose regarding organized religion now. Guess it doesn't help that I dont' believe the bible anymore, lol.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Just an opinion. You have a strong desire to feed your "spiritual need." (Sorry for the JW terms,
    it's what I know.) You need to find a church that is not strong on doctrine, but gives you the right
    emotional feelings. Just keep shopping and you will find it. Or make the best of the church down
    the road.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

This doctrinal discussion with Brother Zealot consumed most of my energy and time. [I couldn't get away from him really.] But there were a few things that I noted as 'interesting'.

There was not a dress or even a dress shirt in the place. Shorts, tee's, and baseball caps. There were tons of kids, and during the prayer requests discussion, they posted a overhead of the names of the pregnant women that should be prayed for [ not a bad idea I suppose ] , and the list was maybe 8 or 10. This service was the mid-week service and there must have been 60 kids in the place, and maybe 50 adults. The atmosphere was too laid back for my tastes [and believe me I like laid back]. The kids all kicked off their shoes and were sitting bare footed. They ran around the aisles freely. They were all dismissed to the childrens classes before the sermon started, so it was a bit more reserved after that.

With all the kids, and all the prego's, I had to wonder, though I never asked, if they were perhaps opposed to birth control, and/or trying to get the families to have lots of kids. It just seemed odd. I felt like I was in an Amish of Mormon church, where everyone has 8 kids. Honestly, most of the women looked pregnant that I got to see close up.

Jeff

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

I went to a pretty liberal presbyterian church with my son over the summer. I wanted to experience something different from what I was subjected to. It was nice and people were friendly, but I did get the feeling like I was being recruited. That really turned me off and like sweetstuff, I really don't believe in the bible soooooo kinda pointless.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    Honestly, most of the women looked pregnant that I got to see close up

Ahh the truth comes out, you were really there to scope out the chicks.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Just an opinion. You have a strong desire to feed your "spiritual need." (Sorry for the JW terms,
    it's what I know.) You need to find a church that is not strong on doctrine, but gives you the right
    emotional feelings.

I believe you are correct. I don't think the 'Independent Bible' churches are for me. They seem to have all sprung off of groups they didn't think had enough Bible thumping. I've had enough Bible thumpn' for one life. Hell, I did enough of it for one life. LOL

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Ahh the truth comes out, you were really there to scope out the chicks.

LOL, SS.

Nope. Wifey would not like that I am afraid. Didn't see that many cute ones anyway.

Jeff

• James Free
    James Free

"You need to find a church that is not strong on doctrine, but gives you the right emotional feelings."

That is sooo funny. Yeah, find a Church that makes you feel good and leaves out the doctrine...

Better still, don't bother. Religion can be a fix, can make you feel better, and will always ultimately let you down since it is all based on false promises. This is the only life there is, period. The rest is just a dream.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Gee - I could have saved myself 50 years of grief if only I had met and asked advice from James Free. He knows the 'Truth'.

Thanx for summing it all up in 30 words or less.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit