I did it for two hours last night....

by AK - Jeff 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

TS:

if the Bible is true... correct doctrine... if those Christians knew their Bibles better

If only it were that simple. Its precisely because folks have that level of interest in their bibles that there is so much discussion on the subject. If it truly were so easy to interpret it would be an irrelevant argument. For that reason I would suggest that the issue isn't one of doctrine but one of love. Ironically it probably always has been...

Augustine: "In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, diversity; in all things, love."

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Just a thought-have you ever considered visting a service of a non-christian religion? Such as Buddism, Judaeism, etc. I'm not suggesting you drop your christian leanings, but maybe a completely different perspective would help round out your search for spiritual well-being.

You know, I have considered that. In our little town there is neither Synagogue nor Buddist Temple. But I might do that someday when I am up to a longer ride.

For that reason I would suggest that the issue isn't one of doctrine but one of love. Ironically it probably always has been...

LT - that is where I am with it all. Interesting irony is that in leaving Jw's, my process of discovery was triggered by lack of love. Then my intellectual reasons for leaving were mixed, doctrine and ethics.

I have considered finding a Unitarian group for all the reasons stated above. Then sometimes I just want to chuck the entire idea and just be content to my personal spritituality at home.

Jeff

• free2beme
    free2beme

I thought the title was about sex and I was really impressed.

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

this is as close to "church" as I think church should be intelligent (mostly) people discussing reality or there percieved reality in an open forum without oppression or judgment insiration and hope can be found here as well as a little sophistry and nonsense but mostly thought provoking and cobweb removing much better than "church"

• Prometheus2
    Prometheus2

Little Toe wrote:

Augustine: "In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, diversity; in all things, love."

Augustine also wrote: Dilige et quod vis fac. Philosopher William James translated it as "If you but love [God], you may do as you incline." More contemporary translations read: "Love, and do what you want."

That makes it simple -- doesn't it?

Prometheus2

• JH
    JH

Viewed: 666 times

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Dilige et quod vis fac.

Perhaps very good advice.

Welcome Prometheus.

Jeff

Share this