Why I have issues with Christianity

by bigwilly 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You live in the U.S., Oregon even. Yes, Christians would preach their message to you in
    virtually every country of the world if they encountered you, this is true. But you don't really
    know what Buddists or Taoists would do in a country where they are the dominant religion
    to those that don't believe like them.

I agree that Christianity generally goes too far, but the others might also.

My issues are with all religion in general, and my passion is for the end of mind-control cults
    like the JW's. I really have no anger toward the Christian who knows I am not interested and
    respects that.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Good commentary by all of you. As stated in one of my posts, I was generalizing which is not representative of all members of a group.

OTWO, you raise a good point. I had not considered that I'm harassed by Christian people more due to population density. And honestly, the way I prefer to present myself makes me almost irresistable to those that want to save "lost souls". I also admit that the majority of my bitterness has to do with experiences with seriously overzealous individuals years ago. The lady I dealt with this time was a customer so I had to be nice, but she was really well behaved and not condescending. It just brought back some of the "thorns in my side" over the years.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Not all Christian brands would preach as aggressively as some born agains do in a way that may demean the person they are trying to proselytise. But like it or not christianity is too interwined with western culture and civilisation to be ignored, one may not be christian but it's hard not to be part of the christian influenced culture.

Narkissos democracy is not perfect but it's miles ahead of the dictatorial systems eg in the moslem world. There is no doubt that the western world is more advanced and civilised.

In Iran they are hunging publicly teenage girls for sexual misdemeanours.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

That is soo very true greendawn. I too find it interesting that Islam is now where Christianity was 300 years ago. Kudos on your observation.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

GD:We had the best religion. We couldn't keep it to ourselves.
    Now we have the best political system. We cannot keep it to ourselves.
    We cannot help thinking for the rest of the world.
    QED.

(N.B.: that was my only point; I didn't suggest that any other relgion, or political regime, was better.)

• greendawn
    greendawn

IP SEC I can't recall any christian religion hunging people for sexual misdeeds. The catholics wrought havoc against so called witches and heretics but not for sexual violations.

Above all the christian religion doesn't prescribe such behaviour whereas the Muslim religion does. It's not just a case of them going through their transitory middle ages now, they will never come out of them as long as they hold on to the Koran.

Narkissos thanks for the clarification.

• ringo5
    ringo5
    That is soo very true greendawn. I too find it interesting that Islam is now where Christianity was 300 years ago. Kudos on your observation.

Just to let you know, if Christians were hanging girls (or witches) 300 years ago, they weren't real Christians!

It would be one thing if the topic of crackpot beliefs was on the table for discussion, such as in a forum such as this, but in this context (informal witnessing ), it's completely inappropriate.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I think maybe you "paint" Christianity with such a broad brush. I consider myself a full-fledged Christian, but one of the last things I would do would be to question someones spirituality - I know a lot of Christians like myself. I also think those Christians like the one you mentioned are actually going against biblical principles, mainly judging someone. I would love to get into a conversation with one of those so-called Christians...I would simple either say "I believe in a Creator...end of story" or "none of your business" (end of story).

• ringo5
    ringo5

I'm a bleedin' prophet! I called it in the previous post....

Just to let you know, if Christians were hanging girls (or witches) 300 years ago, they weren't real Christians!

and lo and behold...

I would love to get into a conversation with one of those so-called Christians

When believers don't like the actions of other believers, guess what? THOSE OTHERS ARE NOT REAL BELIEVERS! THEY ARE PRETENDERS!

The ironical part is that these other believers are probably thinking the same thing about the first group of believers.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Kenan (ha I didn't know your first name before or I forgot it)...

Your first mistake was when the busybody asked you what kind of a name that was, by saying it was biblical. Almost begs her to go there, doesn't it? My reaction would have been along the lines of, well thats the kind of name my parents decided to give me. Shuts 'em right up.

A friend of mine is a Naturpathic Doctor, and when she was doing her residency she worked at a hospital in Tulsa. She used to tell me that occasionally people would introduce themselves this way: (sticking out hand for a handshake) Hello, my name is Gail, have you been born again?

Now my friend is not a pagan like me, and I'm sure I would have been burned down there in the bible belt for my snappy come-back, but she does take exception to this type of introduction. Basically it's none of their damn beeswax. If you are going to marry someone you might want to know their belief system. If your daughter is going to marry someone you may want to inquire. But a casual acquaintance? HELL no.

Stick around buddy, I can get you into a lot of trouble, it being my middle name.

Be nice, I'm an old lady! LOL

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit