Why I have issues with Christianity

by bigwilly 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Aside from the JW bullshit of course.

So, I'm at work and taking phone calls as is my job. A customer called up looking for pricing and information about some material and whether or not Home Despot sells equal quality product. Being the honest (for a salesman at least :P) person that I am, I answered her questions to the best of my ability.

After this was done, she asked me what my name was. When I told her my name was Kenan, she asked what kind of name it was. I told her it was a bible name and she became very incredulous. She told me she'd read the bible 30+ times and had never seen my name there before. I provided her with book, chapter and verse (Gen 5:12) as well as where my namesake fell in the geneology after Adam.

She then asked me how long I had been Christian, to which I replied "I'm not, my parents are". When she asked, I provided her with my JW history. This led to her inquiring as to my personal beliefs regarding the bible, churches, religions and my favorite "have you taken Christ into your heart?". When I said "no" she immediately launched into bearing her testimony.

Normally I will give these types of conversations a wide birth due to many experiences over the years. This woman was less preachy than most and seemed genuinely friendly and compassionate, so I couldn't respond with the usual fire these conversations inspire.

Back in line with the title of this post, the reason I have problems with Christianity and Christians themselves in particular is this; no other religion or school of thought goes out of their way to push their beliefs on others. I have had repeats of this and similar conversations over the years. The other thing that really fucking pisses me off is the base assumption that if you don't subscribe to their belief structure, you are obviously stupid or uninformed. I know I'm generalizing and that these experiences are not representative of all Christians, but I would also like to point out that I have never been preached to or harassed my well intentioned Buddhists, Taoists, Pagans, Jews, etc. Just Christians.

end rant

• Gopher
    Gopher

Kenan,

The urge to proselytize is at the root of much Christianity, especially the evangelical brand. I agree that it is insulting to be looked down on by narrow-minded people who say their way is the only way, and you're in danger (or maybe even their enemy) if you will not agree. People may be genuinely concerned you'll be going to hellfire for your "erroneous" disbelief, or they may be irritated that you don't see things like they do.

I'd also add that it seems that Islam is equally intent on spreading its message around the world, in its own way.

• juni
    juni

hey BW! I know what you mean; I have observed the same. And what's more, I've found, is that "religious" people are some of the worst offenders of the law - legal and moral - while they like to "preach" to others. That's why for me spirituality and religion are two separate issues.

Maybe it's because their leader, Jesus Christ, told them to go out and preach among the nations.... I don't know. They view it as part of their required worship... ????

Juni

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

So Kenan, have I ever told you about how I met the Lord ...

... ah, never mind

I get what you mean though - I've met Christians too, who insist that I'm not a 'proper' one because I go to the 'wrong' church, haven't been baptised by full immersion blah blah blah ...

otoh - we have also actually had some zealous Buddhists here in the past - they'd ask for a donation to their work and then regardless of whether you donated or not, they wouldn't let you go until you said Gouranga! Used to annoy me because they couldn't prove it meant 'Be happy'!

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Juni "Goddess of Wisconsin" wrote:

That's why for me spirituality and religion are two separate issues.

I totally agree as you may have noted from the pagans thread. One of the best movie lines ever (IMO of course) is from the movie Dogma where Chris Rock points out that Jesus had "a good idea, then humans had to go and base a belief structure on it and fuck it all up". As pointed out in the same rant/speech, ideas are malleable and able to change and adapt with new information. Beliefs are more concrete and much harder to change.

I prefer to have an idea of my spirituality versus having a cut and dried belief structure.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Sad Emo wrote:

So Kenan, have I ever told you about how I met the Lord ...

I appreciate the wise-ass humor there Sad Emo

I'd be interested to hear more about your experience with rabid Buddhists too

• Maddie
    Maddie

I agree with Gopher that it is seen as part of a Christians ministry to tell others about "The Good News". Sadly there are many who try to force their beliefs on others and make a complete nuisance of themselves and really p....ss people off. Worse than these though are what I call the "dangerous" type!

I heard of an incident where a man who suffered from a mental illness and was taking prescribed medication, was persuaded by a religious fanatic (so-called Christian), that he should stop taking his tablets and undergo an exorcism. The man threw away his medication, went through with the exorcism and nearly ended up in hospital. Fortunately there were no fatal consequences in this case but there could easily have been!

Maddie

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Imo it's the result of universalism (religion no longer characteristic of one particular people, hence potentially valid and applicable to all) combined with focus on belief (doctrine perceived as objective "truth") rather than practice (thanks Paul for the original synthesis). With such a perspective you could hardly be satisfied until everyone agrees with you (although you might find it strangely disappointing should that happen).

This may be off-topic, but I think the same basic attitude was carried over from Christianity to Western secularism, which now tries to force its version of "democracy" and "human rights" over the whole world, with the same good conscience as the missionaries did with their Gospel in the previous centuries...

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I'd be interested to hear more about your experience with rabid Buddhists too

The Buddhists who used to do this weren't the robed ones - they were the ones who live normal life in society but are affiliated - there's a name for their particular sect/branch but I can't remember it. They showed photos of the voluntary work they'd been doing, then ask if you wanted to contribute, and then they'd show you a card with that word on it and ask you to read it aloud. If you hesitated, they'd tell you what the word was and ask you to repeat it.

Honestly, they'd follow you down the street and harass you until you said that magic word! Me being a devout Roman Catholic at the time, I always refused - I believed they were trying to get me to call a curse down on myself!! It used to freak me out - I think it was the 'excessive' happiness too, us devout RC's didn't do 'happy'!

There isn't such a big problem these days as we now have one of the largest monastery/retreat centre in the country not far away so the secular branch get funding from there most of the time.

• Ri
    Ri

I donno, wasn't the world just witness to by benny Ladden Boy....didn't he say something to the fact that "It is my way or the highway" ?? Is he Christian?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit