1st post

by bbdodger 40 Replies latest jw friends

• bbdodger
    bbdodger

Hey everyone... I'm so happy that a forum like this exists. It makes me feel like I'm not the only one. Even my mother, who has been disfellowshipped for nearly 20 years still calls sites and literature like this "apostate". It sticks with you, it's relentless brainwashing, something that never seems to go away. Every decision you make seems to recall what a "good" Witness should do.

What's remarkable is how many references there are that only JWs and former JWs would understand. There is a certain "language" spoken, certain terms and phrases. Lurking I've found that I recognized many things that "worldly" people would never recognize as completely familiar.

I might comment a little here and there... I hope that I can be a useful contributor to the forum.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Hi bbdodger and welcome! I couldn't believe how many there were in my postition/who had been there either - and that there are no lying apostates but much kinder supportive people than the jws could ever be!Look forward to your posts.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Welcome! Looking forward to more of your posts!

wac (Xbethelite Xelder)

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

bbdodger, hello! and Thanks for your post. There does seem to be a language that only those caught in the nets of the wts understand. I spent my first days here lurking reading and laughing when I would read the play on words used here for witless (theres one) terms. Welcome aboard!

Eagle

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Welcome Bbdodger!

Yes, the "pure language" of the WTB&TS is yet another fulfillment of BibleProphecyâ„¢, you know.

I'm curious about your Mom's description of this kind of site as "Apostate." Is she one of the inactive believers who are certain that they will die at Armageddon any minute now, or does she recognize that these sites are "apostate" only from the WTB&TS view?

One man's "apostate heresy" is another man's "Truthâ„¢."

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Welcome! There's definitely a comfort interacting with people who know the story. I was out for 10+ years before I found the boards. It's seriously wonderful to be able to talk about whatever subject without having to explain the back story every time.

• bbdodger
    bbdodger

wow... it's amazing how fast this board moves! I can't keep up!!!

Even though I haven't been active since I was 10 years old, EVERYTHING I'm reading rings true for me. I relate to every single posting I've read so far, because I was a very bright child who was very observant.

I haven't talked to the JWS in my family for nearly 20 years, it's so sad that their god doesn't want families to stay together. My God wants families to be together. The only contact I've had with any of them are letters they have written, telling me that I'm worldly. To know that if I died, my funeral would NOT be attended because it would not be officiated by a "Brother" is disheartening, to say the least.

I remember so much of my life during that time, because everything I did (even as a child) revolved around the activities of the faith. It may be easy to write off someone who hasn't attended a meeting in so long, but I assure you that the memories and the feelings, guilt, frustration, thoughts are just as fresh now as they were then.

• bbdodger
    bbdodger

ha!!! I recognized EVERY acronym you used.

We should play a game!!! :P

Match the acronym to the JWS term or phrase

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi there, and welcome to the forum

This site is a great place to be. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Being here helped me so much when I was getting out of the wts a copule of years ago - I really don't know what I'd have done without it.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome, and I'm heartened to see you haven't lost faith in God Almighty.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit