September 11

by lavendar 65 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Being in shock myself, at least I had the foresight to record the whole day's events. I have it all on VHS video, the whole day's worth of recording,....I have not watched it since that day as I cannot bring myself to do it.

BP

• MegaDude
  • lavendar
    lavendar

What a pain-filled day it was......and still is. We were on our way to open our store that morning, when our son-in-law called & told us to turn on the car radio. When we got to the store, we turned on the TV....and couldn't believe our eyes.

I remember our JW daughter-in-law was literally freaking out. She was convinced this was the start of Armegaddon! We tried to calm her, but she was SO terrified.

Lavendar

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Caught a ride to work from my Mom. We heard on the radio a plane hit the towers. I remember making the offhand comment, "they might as well tear those things down". Little did I know about 2 hours later I would be witnessing it myself. I never understood the "never forget" slogan. Who would ever forget such a horrific event? Wouldn't it be good if we could forget? We shouldn't forget the reason that caused it, but it would be nice to forget the event.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

At the building I worked at in Denver at the time they had a wall of big-screen tv's used to keep up on the status of the network they owned. The tv's in the corners were always tuned in to the various cable news channels and were visible to everyone who entered the elevators. That morning lots of people were blocking the view so I walked up and asked what was going on. The first building had been struck and the people watching were commenting about how sad it was. Then, as we watched the second plane hit. It seemed like everyone of us was punched in the stomach. A tall guy in the back said it loud enough for everyone to hear, "Holy $h**! We're under attack!!"

I watched until it was reported that the Pentagon had been hit, then I went to my office and called my wife. The hospitals had been put on lock-down until further notice and she didn't know when she could leave.

So many things changed during that one morning. The first one that comes to my mind is that no matter where we move to now the first thing we do is pick 3 alternate places to meet in case there is a disaster and we can't meet at home. We grew up in tornado-ville and having one place to meet was common, but we never had to think of 3 further and further away from our home in case of a disaster. Fear sucks.

Eagle

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

I was living in Texas then, and was taking my kids to school when I heard it on the radio. Got home as soon as I could, turned the TV on and BAM the second plane hits. I was numb, couldn't make out exactly what I was watching. Thought, what an awful accident! But then, as time went by, I started actually listening to the reporter and there he mentioned terrorism and everybody knows the rest. I feel for the families that lost their loved ones, and still remember all the stories that some of them told about their own experiences and how they got to talk to their loved ones one last time, before the Towers fell. Still gives me goosebumps.

MAY WE NEVER FORGET. LET'S TRY TO DO GOOD ON THIS DAY.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

I heard about it when I came in to work. It wasn't until I got home that I saw the images and I was horrified. My daughter had left her tv on and when I passed her room the image of the plane hitting the tower was on.

• JeffT
    JeffT

We live in Seattle. The alarm went off at 6 our time, wife went into the shower (she always listens to morning radio in there) and I stretched out on the couch to wait until she was out of the shower. About 10 or 15 minutes after six she stuck her head out and screamed at me to turn on the tnews "two planes have hit the world trade center." My first thought was "that can't be right" I figured it was one plane off course or something and the news had it wrong. I flipped on the TV and both towers were burning. I was late for work, but it didn't make any difference, none of us got much done that day.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I was home, early into the pregnancy w/my son, and between jobs that week. I was watching Good Morning America when the local news interrupted to show it. Then I saw another plane in the background heading for the second tower, and then the cable went out.

At that second, I knew it was terrorists. CNN came back on, though with much static. Part of me thought armegeddon was starting.

I lived <10 miles from Newark Airport at that time and could've really used some sleeping pills afterwards. 3 days later, I went to Eagle Rock Reservation to see the new view of the city, and watched the smoke from the tragic event.

Fortunately, no one I personally knew died, but there are people I know who lost friends/family.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I was in Strasbourg France at the time, went back to the hotel from sightseeing in the old centre of the city and saw many people gazing at the lounge TV. I asked why so many people what's going but they couldn't really explain to me in English.

I watched the TV pictures and they repeatedly showed a passenger airplane striking a building I thought at first it was an accident but soon realised it was a terrorist attack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit