September 11

by lavendar 65 Replies latest jw friends

• 4digitcode
    4digitcode

i was still in high school on 18th street and 8th avenue. i had no cell phone at the time. I rushed home as soon as they let us out scared to death i would never see my mom's partner again.(he was a police officer at the world trade center) thank god when i opened the door he was there and so was my mom we all burst into tears. he lost 17 of his colleagues and friends. and lost himself as well because he turned to alcohol for comfort. he said at one point they were all running up to help people and remember they never thought the towers would crumble...but at one point his gut feeling was that if he didn't leave he would die and he just ran out. the tower fell few minutes later but he never forgave himself i think. i just want to say to the person who posted about the people starving in africa. i understand what you mean and appreciate it as i'm sure other people willl have on this thread. Reasons i appreciate it: we live our lives mostly desensitized to these images and to these people's torment. the statistic you show i.e. the number of people who died in the world trade center is the number of people who die every 2 hours in africa of starvation. By showing us something in a far off land that does not touch our own reality by relating it to something that hits close to home you raised our awareness of this as well....but i feel like you belittled the pain that was caused on this particular event by saying a cynic 'so what? happens every day' i have also realized living between both europe and the states that a lot of people think that american's pain can be disregarded because of their GOVERNMENT'S actions towards other nations. On this thread no one was talking about political issues. they were just sharing their experience of a most traumatic event. Were it spaniards recalling their train terrorist attacks or russians recalling the opera house attack by tchetchen terrorists, i think you would have withheld your comment. I am not american nor do i have american family so don't think i am biased for that reason. i just feel you made a good point but your delivery was hurtful.

• 4digitcode
    4digitcode

actually other posts make me cringe here. better go look at something else...hugs to those who lost family on this day.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I was working in the 13th floor of a building myself. A JW-"friend" called me and said that a plane crashed into the world trade center. I was thinking about a small sport plane. Some time later I could see the whole things on screen at the office. That evening a company event at a local theater was scheduled. Some went there and also the theater people decided not to let terrorists determine their schedule. I decided to go home to my familiy and watch what was happening.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

On my way to the car in a school parking lot, a woman announced the plane attacks to me. I thought she was some nutjob, until I heard the news on my car radio.

It was horrifying. I was frozen for a while, in my car, listening to the news in disbelief. When I got home and turned on the t.v., one of the towers had fallen and the second one was about to crash. It was the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen happen in my world - in this country.

I worried about a friend of mine who was working there near the harbor at the South Street Seaport Museum, and about his daughter who still lives and works in NYC. I could not get through to them or to anyone on any of the phone lines. It was awful. Later, my friend worked as part of the bucket brigade. They were both okay, at least physically.

It was a terrible day. So much wasted and lost - lost to the stupidity and hatred of religious fanaticism. Imagine a world without religion. Maybe people would still kill and hate each other for other things, but religion wouldn't be there to continually justify such wanton and foolish destruction - in the name of somebody's imaginary friend called god.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I remember visting the church across the street 2 years ago. I remember the damage to the gravemarkers in front, and a giant empty hole. It was frightening to me to view each photo and stuffed animal inside as each item represented an individual lost to something so damn corrupt it makes me ill and angry. 6 years later, still a hole and no answers, but the death toll still rising to this day. I often wonder how people like W and Rummy can live with themselves.

If there is a heaven, they better have a really, REALLY good reason to allow this madness. Did not someone say "revenge is mine"?

• delilah
    delilah

My thoughts go out to all who lost a loved one on this horrific day, 6 years ago.

We will never forget.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?
    which is the greater evil and violation of human rights, the very sad and unfortunate 3000 killed in the one off event of 911, or the 3000 killed per hour which is potentially preventable by the majority

This wasn't a thread about comparing evils...but I have to point out to you, that you exemplify one of the worst (lack of )character traits that we as humans share. The know it all who thinks pointing fingers at others is in and of itself a noble cause. I have a niece who has spent the last two years working in soup kitchens in the lower 9th ward in New Orleans. If you are truly concerned about making a difference in Africa, then go volunteer....otherwise STFU!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I was working in the Soup Kitchen, when someone from the dining area came running in, telling us to hurry and come watch the news on T.V. I could not believe what I was seeing. When I returned home that evening I was "glued" to the news. I can't even describe how I felt.

While we're on the topic of 911, did anyone watch the History Channel Sunday afternoon, which was devoted to 911. There was a segment called "Miracle in Stairwell B" or something to that effect. At any rate, the opening scene is of people driving to work towards the Twin Towers and lo and behold I saw a sign that had Watchtower on it. It was something I least expected to see. Did anyone else see it?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Before and after:

The photo on the left was taken in 1999. The photo on the right was taken exactly three years later in 2002.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The difference between Africa and the WTC bombing are that AMERICANS GIVE MILLIONS AND HAVE GIVEN BILLIONS TO AFRICANS & AFRICAN GOVERNMENTS whereas the Muslims HATE us.

The problems with Africa stem back to Europe, when the European powers carved up the dark continent from their arm chairs while smoking cigars over a table with a map of Africa and little knowledge of the people of the dark continent. Tribes of people were suddenly placed in "countries" with other tribes they did not know or like. Take Sudan, for instance. Think Sudan's boundaries were set by Sudanese? The north of the country is Muslim and the south of the country are African tribes?

Compound the border problem with corrupt African government officials. I'm going to say something very true (but those who have not read on the subject will find it disturbing).....African governments NEED pictures of starving people in order to GET MORE AID so they can steal the aid to put in their bank accounts in Switzerland. See Southern Rhodesia/Zimbabwe as just one example. Read the book "The Fate of Africa: Fifty Years of Independence" by Martin Meredith.

We are not the cause of Africa's modern day troubles, Africa is the cause of its troubles. Africa is a continent of vast resources. The farming potential is HUGE, bigger than our midwest. The mineral & ore potential are also HUGE. For example, a few years ago Zimbabwe was a great farming country. Little hunger. They had so much food that they exported their surplus to other countries. Then, enter Robert Mugave as president. He declares that all land must be given over to his war heros. The farm land is taken away from commercial growers, and given (by force) to veterans with no farming experience. The commercial farmers moved to Zimbia, which is now producing a ton of food thanks to the immigrant farmers. Zimbabwe has no food, but alot of starving people.

We just keep pouring our money there, so to make our guilty souls feel better, so the likes of Robert Mugave can put our money in his Swiss bank account all the while snapping more pictures of hungry, Aids ridden people.

(BTW, Africans think that a cure for Aids is to have sex with virgins. Many toddlers are raped for this "cure". The African governments do not educate the people.)

The United State's problems with the Muslim terrorists go back several hundred years to the birth of our country. It has not sprung up in the past 20 years. Read the book, "The Victory of the West: The Great Christian-Muslim Clash at the Battle of Lepanto" by Niccolo Capponi. A great many Muslims hate Christians. We are infidels. We are unclean. We are worldly. We are to be erradicated. We are to be killed for the glory of Allah. We are to be killed to cleanse the land. The Muslims do not care about our monetary aid to Africa.

This is a day for September 11th. I find your comments on Africa disgusting, for the reasons given above.

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit