My District Convention pioneer experiences- I fed my kids from the gutter?

by Witness 007 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I remember a pioneer couple at the assembly telling how they didn't have anything to eat, but they were in service, looked over into a field, and spotted dandelion greens. That was their lunch.... Not much energy there.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

The reason I was angry was that I Pioneered 10 years and saw all of this! My pioneer partner had a hole in his shoes for months which he patched with tar. I had a bomb of a car and made $140 a week to live on. My car eventually blew up from "Witnessing Stress." I loved how brothers with new cars and money, would park in the shade, then jump in my bomb to go Witnessing. Eventually I blew up from "Witnessing stress." When I had no car I walked. No support at all. "Brother can you spare a dime?"

• lawrence
    lawrence

I remember this story from a Special Pioneer - M. Ritchey...

During the colporteur days, she and her partner were witnessing in Northern Ontario, and they had run out of gas by a field. When all of a sudden, a few milk cows got indigestion, and instantly the car started up and they made it to the next town. In the next town they traded 6 of the Judge's books for a few bowls of chili. Now they had gas, and they made it all the way to the next town.

• rebel8
    rebel8

lawreeeeeeeeeence! lol!!

"You know what, I reckon we could construct one of these stories, leak it, and it would be portrayed as a FACT from the stage at an Assembly."

Why, are you saying that they will not tell my story from the stage? lol

Anyways, I do remember being told repeatedly in pioneer school not to worry about having NO money, no health insurance while having a serious/expensive medical condition, no skills, and no job security. jehoho provides! Being low on cash is a test. Just when you think you'll have to quit, jehomer slips you a lost mattress or some roadkill lettuce. Be on the lookout for the freebies because they're not always easy to spot! They might *technically* belong to someone else, but what the hay!

In my kh some people did invite the pioneers to dinner every once in a while, then spent lots of energy telling everyone how righteous they are for sacrificing some of their pasta to us charity cases. I think I paid more for the gas to drive to their house than they paid for the meals (most of the time).

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I have many of my own stories from the field...

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

We were evicted from our home with a newborn baby. Jehovah provided an abandoned house for us - nobody had lived in it for 7 years and it was filthy, musty and my baby son could not breathe in it. This so my husband could pioneer rather than work.... We had no food and I was reprimanded for being seen standing in line at the basement of the Catholic church where the government food bank was hosted. Reprimanded by elders who drove Cadillacs, owned multiple homes, and wore gold jewelry. They even gave me $10 to buy my baby some food. Yep - Jehovah gave us $10, despite me being seen near Babylon the Great. Heaven forbid my husband should go to work or provide for the baby. I had to display the lack of faith and find work that would feed him..... Just some slight bitterness there....

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

wow-what incredible stories-

this is why I could never pioneer and I wondered for years what was wrong with me that I felt health insurance, a decent car and decent meals were actually more important then making pioneering my goal.

I remember telling one sister, that there was no way I could afford to work part time. I said with health insurance, 401k contributions, life insurance and normal day to day items, how would I afford to keep up with a part time salary? She looked at me like I had the plague.

• lawrence
    lawrence

My wife and I were serving where the need was greater in Southern Belize (as a result of this blessed appointment, she ran off with a rock guitar player). We were penniless, living in a hut, and we had no electricity or running water. One night when both of us were getting ready for a meeting, we realized we had no tuna fish left, no cans of beans, no tortillas, and no money to take the bus to the meeting. So we prayed and prayed for an answer, and just about then, we heard the bus pass. So we went to the road and hoped for a ride, but no cars. Just about then a wild turkey skirted out from the woods and I chased it, twisted my ankle, and we headed back to the hut. The next day I got a ride from some dope growers to the KH, where I was scolded for not calling (no phone) and missing my talk and part on the S.M. My wife escaped that day, and I returned to the hut after service, and still had no tuna fish, beans, tortillas, or wife. So much for pioneering!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Loved your story, Lawrence. I guess the demons sped up the turkey and caused that man who was
    going to ask you for directions to get a flat tire before he got to you.

I do remember one story that happened to me, but I never attributed it to miracles from the sky.
    A sweltering day in service. I was trying to pioneer and I was working with an older brother. He said
    we should take a break and get a cold drink. I said I don't even have a dollar, neither did he when he
    checked his pocket. Well, we did a couple more houses and we actually spotted two dollars on the
    sidewalk. We walked to the corner store and had two cold sodas. I guess the angels wanted us to
    stop that silly work, because we didn't go back to the territory.

• Quandry
    Quandry

If we are voting for the best stories, I vote for lawrence's stories. He has quite a way of describing events.

Lawrence,

Too bad you couldn't come back to assemblies and do updates, like how the used shoes the brother gave you when you needed new ones were too small and ended up costing you many times more than ones from the store would have, and the story from Belize.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit