Will the Book Study ever be dropped from the weekly meetings?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

The book study is actually the only meeting the elders have to closely keep tabs on the "flock." It is easier to be missed at a larger meeting of 80 or so than a small home group of 25. Also the elder assigned to the group gets monthly reports of time turned in and can tell more directly who is slipping in "kingdom service."

Book studies were the core meetings of the WTS from the very beginning, small groups meeting in homes. I would see it combined with a 15 minute TMS and 15 minute SM.

Blondie

• changeling
    changeling

JW's have always bragged about the "book study arrangement".

How it provides the opportunity to get to know each other better, how it provides a "prescense" in the neighborhoods, how it enables new ones and "shy" ones to answer for the first time, how it's also a center for field service, yada, yada, yada...

They'd have to "eat a lotta crow" to do away with this meeting.

changeling

• choosing life
    choosing life

We had the book study in our home at various times. Drove me crazy.

One time, though, the only one who showed up was the conductor. My husband and I took turns answering all the questions. Of course my husband also read the paragraphs. I wanted to just cancel and call it a night, but the BS conductor would not have it.

• fresia
    fresia

Had a part in the August KM about the importance of the BS, and who it helps us to get close to one another, its more intimate, and the BSO gets to know the spiritual health of the flock, he can work along with them and help them in the FS, *which is crap, never once has he offered to help me.*

Also they have everyones phone, email or mobile number in case of emergancies, or natural catastophies, that is good and can be practical especially if you are old, ill disabled and are on youre own.

So I can't see that they would get rid of the BS group. I actually don't mind it, as I sneak some little beuts in sometimes, always using the insight book though huh.

I think they should cut of at least 1/2 hr of the TMS, it really is a burden especially on those that have to work and families with young kids, we don't get home until 10 o'clock at night, and ones that are old and disabled it really is a nuicence, cant see any need to see demonstrations of offering the WT at the doors, they already have the sugestions on the back of the KM anyways. The bible reading and maybe a bible disgussion and info for our local territory thats it.

• abbagail
    abbagail

I seriously doubt it...

A lot of great opinions as to the "mind of the WT" and its reasoning for hanging on to the BS...
    (I never liked BS's because they were in people's homes, I didn't like going to somebody else's house, sitting in a circle, etc. But when they finally started a BS at the KH, then it wasn't so bad.)

I think WT keeps the BS's going out of long-ingrained-habit.

...And control.

But also this BUSY BUSY reasoning... (Exactly!)

[...]
    I think it is part of the (cult) isolation pattern. "Busy work" to keep you away from TV and current events (you might learn something new) also keeps you from having time to read other material, or associate with worldy friends. Idle hands, devils workshop. Yes, I think its all just "busy work".
    [...]

Here's hoping a lurking JW reads this and "gets the sense of it":

"Christian [busy] work may be a means of evading the soul's concentration on Jesus Christ. Instead of being friends of the Bridegroom, we may become amateur providences, and may work against Him whilst we use His weapons." - Oswald Chambers [brackets mine]

----------------

And speaking of "busy work" and "book studies," evangelical and other protestant churches are also using a "small group", or "cell group" agenda these days as well, and not necessarily for noble purposes. I snipped out these portions which so remind me of WT tactics...

----------------

Cell Churches - alias Life groups (cells), Cell groups, Neighborhood Groups, Oikos (household), Basic Christian Communities, Shepherd groups etc.
    http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/cells.html

[...]
    Groups start with 3-8 people, are expected to grow quickly to 15 members when they must divide and start again. They must meet weekly and understand that they are ‘under authority’, a ‘part of a greater vision’. They are assured they will be assisted by a (hierarchical) pastoral team. There was no institutional hierarchy in the N.T. church. Note the word ‘vision’.

When the concept is truly in operation, the long term group members are required to ‘covenant’ with one another, and cell leaders covenant with their pastors to report on the attitudes and states of group members (like Chinese communist street committees). This reporting forms the basis of the Sunday preaching. The preaching is therefore need and discipline centered not the preaching of the ‘whole counsel of God’ Acts 20:27.

Meeting weekly is deemed important because it is the human bonding [as in Promise Keeper's "Menmeet"] which fuels the determination to fulfill the ‘vision’.
    [...]
    It is more likely that people will be kept so busy ‘fulfilling the vision’ and continually in a whirl of activity, that they will be easy to manipulate and rule. Also in order to fulfill the vision it would seem that most members must be involved in 2 weekly meetings and perhaps a course as well. Where is there time for the Lord, for family, for prayer, for bible study?

It is clear that this scheme will suit the new churches as it disguises their falling numbers. Anyone joining a cell group is to be counted as a ‘church member’. It will also facilitate the apostate church's determination to break down the denominations, by infiltration and by publicity. Doctrinal statements are not seen as relevant - and the cell group leaders [Shepherds] are not chosen for their biblical knowledge! The intent is to blur all doctrinal distinctions. Without ‘statements of faith’ etc., it is easier to change and promote Restorationist/LR/WF/New Age/Interfaith beliefs: i.e. ONE WORLD RELIGION belief, but presented in different terminologies.

This sort of group is the perfect environment for bringing about major changes within the person as well as the group. Group dynamics come into play, a condition that makes one feel it necessary to compromise established rules or standards if one wishes to maintain group acceptance, build group cohesion, and fulfill the leader's vision. Whoever controls the agenda for deciding the questions asked, controls the answers as well. This is a use of Hegel`s dialectic (...which is being used in education, politics, interfaith meetings etc. ...). The aim is to break down a person's confidence in what he believes, say, about God/truth/morality, to free him from God-given constraints so that he is open to listen to others and compromise his position in order to bring about a group consensus. Each group meeting will become part of a continual process of change.

One of the activities of the groups is to ‘spiritually map’ the households in their area in order to facilitate expansion. All available official data is to be collected and then members are to find out such things as marital status, incomes and leisure activities and build psychological profiles of local households in order to use the most appropriate way of ‘winning’ the people.
    [...]
    To sum up: Cell churches are:
    1. centered around human need (which is a bait);
    2. fueled by the impetus of human bonding;
    3. intent on demolishing biblical truth, and replacing it with a ‘this world’/apostate paradigm: a man centered/satanic world view with the goal of building the One World Religion.
    [...]

End of excerpt.

Very interesting... I wish I could do "bold" as there are so many GLARING points in there that remind me of WT.

But oh well...

One World Religion... New Order... New System of Things... New World Order.

/ag

• Jourles
    Jourles

I can't believe no one has made this comment yet....The real reason why they won't get rid of the BS is because it doesn't cost the WTS or congregation any money out of pocket to hold them. Plus, if an accident or anything bad were to happen, it would take place on someone else's property and not theirs.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

No they have said for your years "we NEED five meetings a week" they have used the hand with five fingers holding on to the grip of life as an illustration.

To say that you dont need that now, would put a red flag in the minds of many, what else did they say that we needed but really don't. They cannot afford any more damage to their credibility. Suck it up you will continue the five meetings a week.

abr

• TheListener
    TheListener

Want to add more pressure?

perform the bookstudy in 30 minutes.

+

two 5 minutes (one by a brother and one sisters) (assigned by the elder to members of the bookstudy group) - no signup for this assignment required, it's not officially the school but a preparation to join the school or better your speaking habits in a smaller more intiimate group.

+

a 5-10 minutes bible reading (by a brother, of course!)

The talks could be assigned by the BSO and his assistant. The added pressure of having a part may force certain ones to show up when they otherwise would not. It could also be sold as a means to prepare certain ones who are nervous about giving talks at the KH to do so and to prepare everyone for more informal witnessing.

PLUS, since we're so close to the end the WTS would easily see the rumor spread that this change was due to the persecution that they see 'right around the corner.'

Just my opinion.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't think there is any way they will ever delete a boasting session. Especially since that is one more night that they can keep children up past their bedtime and kill the evening during school nights. And what are they going to do to kill TV shows and college classes that fall on book study night? Plus, they need that extra study time to pre-empt going to the movies or, worse yet, on those horrible apostate Web sites.

Shorten one? Yes, they had to pick the one that had the least impact on school children on school nights to shorten. Do something that looks like you are giving them a break, but do it in such a way that it does the minimum of good. But I think they will never delete a meeting, especially one that pre-empts college classes or that keeps school children from getting in bed at a decent hour during school nights.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

TheListener,

Whoa, you just made the hair stand up on my neck. That sounds exactly like something the borg would implement. Are you sure you're not a Bethel monitor? (sorry, didn't mean to insult you)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit