Billions of Lives Depend On This?

by R.F. 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fresia
    fresia

I think RF you are being a bit hard. I do know of witnesses that actually love the preaching work they enjoy talking about Jehovah and the hope and they find this is the main joy in their lives.

However, I really think it depends on how full someones life is, and yes many don't enjoy witnessing, but considering the beginnings and how it has expanded, I must say that JW in general have done an exceptional work, I don't see other r/f from other religions doing anything like that. So you saying God could have got some other better group, he didn't did he. Give credit where due, they aren't all that bad, some but definately not all.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Absurd's a good word, R.F.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I used to say to hubby if they really believed it was the end they'd all be pioneers, out speaking to people as many hours of the day as they could, but in our congragation it was do an hour, then have a coffee and a few rounds of golf!

I used to ask elders and CO's if they could chose between being an elder or a pioneer, what would they do? The answer was always slow in coming and usually followed a cringe. Most of them would say 'pioneer', but you could tell they prefered 'elder'.

Another aspect is this; besides ignoring potential technology that could spread this 'lifesaving' message far faster and more effiiciently, what about the poor quality of the material they do offer? How many people would believe that their lives depended on reading chinzy magazines delivered by a 6 year old? It doesn't take on the look of a 'lifesaving work' at all. Of course, that is because it isn't. It's a life-wasting work, intended to keep 6 million zombies... well, zombie-like.

Jeff

• greendawn
    greendawn

Leolaia's quotes show how the GB of the JWs twist the scriptures, they make it appear as if the entire Christian Church, all its members, were engaged in preaching which certainly was not the case.

Preaching was of course one of the church's several functions but only some of its members engaged in it. As Paul would say just like with the human body not all members have the same gifts and functions.

But of course early Christians always "preached" through their virtuous way of living which could be more powerful than words.

Obviously the GB way of promoting preaching represents a subtle manipulation to maximise the sales of the WTS products and is not even a genuine religious activity but rather a commercial one. That's why they put so much psychological pressure on their members to go out and sell.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I don't see other r/f from other religions doing anything like that.

Take a look at other religions that got started in earnest in the 19th Century, fresia. You might be surprised how many have grown and exceeded Jw's. The Mormons have done far better than Jw's in that regard, and most of them do not do the door to door work. Only from 18-20 for a couple of years. Then they settle into 'real life' and quit wasting the time of the members and the public in a worthless work spreading propoganda.

Jeff

• R.F.
    R.F.

I think RF you are being a bit hard. I do know of witnesses that actually love the preaching work they enjoy talking about Jehovah and the hope and they find this is the main joy in their lives.

However, I really think it depends on how full someones life is, and yes many don't enjoy witnessing, but considering the beginnings and how it has expanded, I must say that JW in general have done an exceptional work, I don't see other r/f from other religions doing anything like that. So you saying God could have got some other better group, he didn't did he. Give credit where due, they aren't all that bad, some but definately not all.

fresia, I didn't mean to imply that there were no JWs at all that didn't want to do the preaching work. I was one that enjoyed it since I once thought that I really being used by God to give others an opportunity at life. Also, JWs aren't the only group that preaches. There are many others that are very effective at it. Even in the area I live there are Christians that i've encountered that do so, mostly informally, but also some in the door-to-door manner. R.F.

• zack
    zack

In response to Fresia:

Recently Dr. D. James Kennedy passed away. Before you get a picture in your mind about a holy roller, research his life a bit. What was very interesting to me about his ministry, was the evangelism he taught his congregants to perform. He did this not through a PROGRAM, but through fostering a love for Christ and His gospel. His ministry reached every country in the world, including China and the USSR.

Now, you may not beleive he had the "TRUTH." But he certainly demonstrated the charateristics in his life consistent with Christianity and was tireless in advancing the "The Great Commission." He did so with conviction, with enthusiasm, and with love. He had good news!

As a Witness, we are isolated from such men because we are taught that they are all serving, that they teach unscriptural doctrines, that they line their own pockets, that they do not evangelize like Jesus and Paul did. The reason I believed for so long was precisely becuase of that isolation.

I do not endorse anyone nor think anone possesses the "truth." But I do beleive the Watchtower falls was short, not only in its claim of preaching the good news world wide, but of preaching the good news at all. The message they take to people is far different from the one Jesus taught.

• fresia
    fresia

I guess I get a little touchy as I still have family and friends that sincerly believe they are doing what is right. Though there are other groups that do spread there beliefs, JW do far more preaching activity than most.

I know that some in the org, do it for the glory and many do it to just get their hours in so they won't be classified as inactive, it really is sad, and I can't stand what the GB are doing, I really hope that some sort of revolution happens with in and those genuine Christians break away.

• Honesty
    Honesty

If these are the ones that God is using to warn people and bring them to safey then he needs to acquire different workers.

R.F.

Maybe He just needs to change the message and keep the workers.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

RF..

The ROCKS could have done a better job. Just think about it...walk down a path, sensor in the rock (or just created that way) detects the motion of a human walking by and begins to tell you about "the good news",

I did say from the platform during the Public Talk that "I hated the ministry." That produced some shocked looks, especially when I was a visiting speaker. Then I would say, "and I bet some of you do too....so why do we put ourselves through it?" I would go on to say we may not like going door-to-door, being shy, etc, but we do it because we love Jehovah. I used to say lots of shocking things like that in my talks... much better than the usual monotone WT approved drivel...I usually stuck to the outlines, but I wanted people to hear the message and I had to wake them from their zombie state.... so I'd throw zingers like that in...

And we did waste a lot of time, didn't we?

SnakesInTheTower (of the "likes to say shocking things, not going in ministry anymore" Sheep Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit