Nosy questions for the Americans

by dobbie 41 Replies latest jw friends

• dobbie
    dobbie

Following on from the thread the other week with questions for the brits, i thought i'd ask a few i'd like to know about you, just call me a nosey bag!

1. As you don't have NHS, what happens if a sick child was in a medical emergency, is there a charity that covers them or will treatment sometimes get withheld if there is no insurance?

2. What accent does Nicholas Cage have? (purely cos its just so gorgeous lol!)

3. As we have some of your takeaway shops here MacD's etc, do you have any British style fish and chips shops?

4. What is your all time favorite british show?

5. What british accent do you like the most?(no i don't mind at all if you say Somerset lol 'oo-ar!me dears!)'

6. Do you have state benefits and council housing for the poor/single mums etc?

7. Why do you say mom and not mum?

8. Do you have roast chicken on a sunday with brussel sprouts roast spuds and bread sauce? thanks for looking at my intellectually stimulating questions lol!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Californian, I have a similar accent which is quite funny here in Indiana

Oh that's a hard one. It used to be Eastenders before I lost touch with the show and I love Dr Who (old and the new) and I love the English mystery shows that come on public tv here, oh and I like quite a few of the comedies: Chef and Absolutely Fabulous come to mind. Hell I can't pick just one.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    do you have any British style fish and chips shops?

We used to have Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips when I was a kid.

I loved it.

I think a few still exist, but not in my area.

As much as I like Monty Python, I really love Are you being served?

Yes.

LOL! Cause mum would sound so British, silly!

8. Do you have roast chicken on a sunday with brussel sprouts roast spuds and bread sauce?

Never in my life.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

1. As you don't have NHS, what happens if a sick child was in a medical emergency, is there a charity that covers them or will treatment sometimes get withheld if there is no insurance?

Treatment is never withheld. Some people have no ability to pay- if the government doesn't cover the child,
    then the hospital winds up never getting paid.

3. As we have some of your takeaway shops here MacD's etc, do you have any British style fish and chips shops?

British food is generally laughed at in the U.S. There was "Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips" about 25 years
    ago- I think a couple of them are still here and there. Today's Fish resaurants do not have British themes.
    I am sure that there are a few places here and there that serve British-type food, but your average American
    could not think of any- myself included.

I have two- "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and "Keeping Up Appearances."

8. Do you have roast chicken on a sunday with brussel sprouts roast spuds and bread sauce?

I know of nobody that does anything like that. I hate brussel sprouts- they are about the
    only vegetable I hate.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

1. Treatment for a sick child is not denied. If you go to an emergency room, they must by law treat you, or stabilize you for shipment to somewhere else. There are also state insurance programs for children who do not have private insurance. Many places have sliding scale fees based on income, and payment arrangements can be made.

2. No clue

3. Does Long John Silvers count? LOL, thats the only thing close to a fish and chips spot in my area. Although a local restaurant makes some really good catfish, I've been told

4. "Vicar of Dibley" and "Rosemary and Thyme"

5. To be honest, haven't really thought about that. For some reason, I've been honing in on Canadian accents lately-probably because my son spends an inordinate amount of time watching Canadian produced teen shows. I LOVE how they say "about" LOL

6. Yes. It's called welfare, or aid to dependent children here. There is low income housing, and depending on the situation, sometimes welfare agencies will pay for a mother's apartment. Many of the programs do have a time limit, though. Also, persons on them must provide proof that they are looking for work (or in some cases, that they are going to school) for benefits to continue. There are also social security benefits for children who have lost their father in death

7.Don't really know. My kids called me "Marmee ("Little Women" was a favorite movie around our place), and my grandson called me "Buddha" for a long time, LOL. Now I'm "Gammmaw"

8. Roast chicken, yes. Hate brussels sprouts-its the only veggie I don't eat, and I have no intellectual answer as to why. What is bread sauce?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

3. Does Long John Silvers count? LOL, thats the only thing close to a fish and chips spot in my area. Although a local restaurant makes some really good catfish, I've been told

Arthur Treacher has already been mentioned. Don't forget H Salt, Esq.:

http://www.hsalt.com

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Do what I always do. Pay for it. Many have private insurance.

No accent. Kinda just nasally

Yes... fried fish and taters are fried fish and taters where ever you go

I used to enjoy Keeping Up Appearances. Now it is Docter Who

5. What british accent do you like the most?(no i don't mind at all if you say Somerset lol 'oo-ar!me dears!)'
    Cockney

Yes

because it is derived from Mother, not muther

8. Do you have roast chicken on a sunday with brussel sprouts roast spuds and
    Yes... or any other day of the week

• eclipse
    eclipse

Most Americans do not know the differences between the different english accents

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    because it is derived from Mother, not muther

Reminds me of a song:

Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh
    Here I am at Camp Granada
    Camp is very entertaining
    And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining.

• zeroday
    zeroday

There are a number of Federal and State programs for children. As has been stated even if you have NO insurance at all every hospital emergency room in the country by law must treat you even if you can not pay.

Never seen a British style fish and chips shop but I'm sure some sitdown restaurants have it on their menu.

HELLS KITCHEN

I have a step mom (AHH MUM) that is a Kiwi. Love their accents.

Yes.

There's no "U" in Mother.

We have chickens, brussel sprouts and spuds so Yes it is possible...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit