Nosy questions for the Americans

by dobbie 41 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

You've already received answers about our welfare system, so I won't bother with those.

What the hell is bread sauce????

Mrs. Jones gets high marks from me with her answers about the mom/mum issue.

I love the way Emma Thompson speaks wherever she's from.

I used to like "Faulty Towers".

You like Nicholas Cage???? Eww... He reminds me of my drunken brother in law.

changeling

• poppers
    poppers

4. What is your all time favorite british show?

Fawlty Towers. I liked it so much I bought the whole series on DVD.

The Avengers. I haven't seen this in years, but watched it when I was a kid and loved it.

The Prisoner.

• iveseenthelight
    iveseenthelight
    There are a number of Federal and State programs for children. As has been stated even if you have NO insurance at all every hospital emergency room in the country by law must treat you even if you can not pay.

I remeber being in NY, my step brotehr got turned away from a medical centre as he had a type of medical insurance that the centre did not accept. He was only 5 and it was in the early hours of the morning. What was that all about?

• zeroday
    zeroday
    There are a number of Federal and State programs for children. As has been stated even if you have NO insurance at all every hospital emergency room in the country by law must treat you even if you can not pay.
    I remeber being in NY, my step brotehr got turned away from a medical centre as he had a type of medical insurance that the centre did not accept. He was only 5 and it was in the early hours of the morning. What was that all about?

What was the cirumstances was it an emergency. No hospital can turn down an emergency.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

H Salt, Esq.:

Now there's a blast from the past.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Well, I wasn't there, but there are medical centers (which conjure up an idea of something less than an emergency) and then there are emergency rooms (anything from small injuries, broken bones, to life threatening injuries)...and they are 2 different things depending on how you look at it.

I wouldn't expect to be turned away at an emergency room (found in a hospital) if I didn't have insurance.

I would expect that a medical center (clinic or urgent care center) would get pissy if I tried to pull that on them. Although, if I was laying there on their floor having a heart attack, I doubt they would stop and ask for my insurance card. They would probably just get pissy after they saved my life.

I believe that there is a misconception that since the US doesn't have universal health care that people in emergency situations can't get help if they can't pay for it. That isn't true. Ask any illegal immagrant what happened when they went to an emergengy room to have their baby born even though they didn't have insurance. Well, they got their baby delivered, that's what happened. It is ongoing treatment or non-emergency treatment that is the real issue. And if you are poor enough, or can work the system enough, you can get ongoing care. We have community clinics (and I have used them myself when I qualified based on my income). I didn't like it because the facilities weren't all that nice, and the doctors didn't give quite as good of care as I would have gotten if I could have paid for it at another facility (this is due to the quantity of patients, not because the doctors didn't care). But I did get rudimentary healthcare and I don't think that I got short changed all that much (it was very low cost, after all).

In the US, it is the lower middle class that are really pinched the worst. Sometimes they make just enough money to not qualify for assistance programs, but not enough money to comfortably afford insurance. That is a hard situation to be in (been there done that myself).

As far as fish 'n chips...Long John Silvers is the closest thing, but they really don't have the same sort of "grab it and go" kind of feel.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Thanks for your answers! Glad you do have state health/benefits for when it is needed, i didn't realise.

Nvrgnbk - lol @ 'Are You Being Served' i used to love that when i was little - all i can say is (in my best John Inman voice) 'I'm free!'

Mrs Jones - Didn't think Nic Cage was from Cali thought his accent was a bit Nashville or something so shows what i know!

Cicatrix - Vicar of Dibley is v funny Alice and Hugo crack me up!

'Marmee' oh thats really cute!My son calles me 'momma' sometimes, its really sweet.

BREAD SAUCE guys is a thick creamy sauce made from bread, milk cloves and onion - or you can cheat like i do and get the packet mix!

IP_SEC your'e obviously not such a chip connoisseur as me lol!Give me chip shop or home made ones anyday than those thin cardboard things my son likes from MaccyD's

Eclipse - Americans not recognising our accents is like me not recognising Nic Cages' i guess! Where i come from we sound a bit like Hagrid from Harry Potter and Alice from Vicar of Dibley, fortunately i have only a v slight accent lol!

Changeling - Emma Thompson has a nice voice, the Queens' english i guess (in other words posh) my mum speaks like that as well. Re Nic Cage what can i say, i suppose i just like men who are a bit 'different' lol

• changeling
    changeling

You're sweet dobbie!

changeling

• Soledad
    Soledad
    1. As you don't have NHS, what happens if a sick child was in a medical emergency, is there a charity that covers them or will treatment sometimes get withheld if there is no insurance?

I don't believe that treatment would get withheld. The child would get treated and then the hospital would bill the parents. If the child is a victim of a crime--such as a drunk driver--there is the Crime Victims Compensation Fund in some states, they pay for medical expenses and such. Also if the family qualifies they can apply for Medicaid which is state sponsored health insurance. But if they don't qualify for that then they're stuck with an enormous bill. Sucks.

2. What accent does Nicholas Cage have? (purely cos its just so gorgeous lol!)

I have no clue. I know he was born in California.

3. As we have some of your takeaway shops here MacD's etc, do you have any British style fish and chips shops?

There was a chain called Arthur Treacher's that sold fish and chips. I don't know if they are still around. Some mom and pop shops in my neighborhood sell fish and chips. Really good!

4. What is your all time favorite british show?

Are you being served? I have the entire DVD collection, including the movie.

5. What british accent do you like the most?(no i don't mind at all if you say Somerset lol 'oo-ar!me dears!)'

I like the broke down British English spoken in Trinidad/Guyana

6. Do you have state benefits and council housing for the poor/single mums etc?

Yes and it varies from state to state

7. Why do you say mom and not mum?

I say mummy?

8. Do you have roast chicken on a sunday with brussel sprouts roast spuds and bread sauce?

That sounds great! I won't wait for Sunday to have it.

I typically eat out on Sundays. Seafood Sundays for me.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Coronation Street is broadcast in Canada, and in US border towns. We are about 9 months behind. Tracy Barlow has yet to kill her bf. Sometimes silly, but always interesting. Currently on the show, it's Christmas '06 . Anything with Rowan Atkinson is good as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit