follow up to dating...(online or otherwise)..any suggestions?

by SnakesInTheTower 30 Replies latest members private

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

snakes, i agree with nvr. it's complicated. we men are very simple, food, sex, football, not much else going on up there. you are ending up in the dreaded friend zone.

at the risk of all the ladies getting mad and telling me that's not true, i'll tell you what i've learned. i've found that being a good guy that's there for them all the time is a sure fire way to friend zone. you have to be kind of an ass, emotionally unavailable. don't let them talk to you about their men troubles, or anything like that. i know i'll get hammered for saying this, but, being a bit of a dick really works well.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Guys, JWDaughter nailed it. It's all about confidence and being yourself, quite simple actually!

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

BigD, I totally uttery disagree, women under 30 (not all, just some) might like the cocky bad boy thing, but most of us over 30, have had enough of that! Soon as I get the yeah, I rock vibe from a guy, total turn off. We want a man who can listen, who makes us laugh, actually understands and is interested in what we are saying.

Snakes, my advice is this. There is a certain time frame with a woman. If you stay just friends too long, she will only view you as a friend. Friends is the best way to start, don't get me wrong there. But if you really like a woman, make a move, because if you don't some other guy will! Sure fire way to make a woman find you attractive and interesting, make her laugh alot. (Laughter releases hormones that will subconsiously tell her brain how much she enjoys your company.) If comedy isn't you thing, great conversation in and of itself is very attractive.

I would also agree with Brinn, watch her body language. It betrays more than people realize. If she is fiddling with her hair, keeping eye contact, chances are she is very ready for you to show your interest, if you don't.. she will think you either are uninterested or lack confidence, both the kiss of death when it comes to romancing a woman.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

sweetstuff, i totally agree that faint hearts never win fair maidens.

i am no dating expert, all i was telling my buddy snakes is what i have observed. if you let a woman know your a good guy, but, play the bad boy roll a bit, it works better than the, puppy dog at their feet route. i respect that you disagree with me, but, it really worked for me. with women of all ages. being a cocky ass, and having confidence and letting someone know your not a doormat are 2 different things, and there is a fine line you need to learn to walk to know how to do it.

i had the same problems snakes did. i was always the nice guy women would call when they were crushed by other guys. i was always the friend. once i figured this out, i changed, and it worked really well. you still need to be yourself. that is key. never be fake, but, acting like an emotional doormat gets you no where. honestly, which of you ladies here respect guys like that?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

So I just keep busy, stay mostly happy, keep my eyes open...and hope for the best..... any suggestions?

I got a single sister

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    but, acting like an emotional doormat gets you no where. honestly, which of you ladies here respect guys like that?

Emotional doormats are not attractive in either sex.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

"right, now, go make me a sandwich woman". says bigdreaux as he ducks from sweets fist of fury.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I also agree with what sweet stuff said. I have to emphasize, once you pick up on some signals, make your move. And please don't give mixed signals yourself. It's very confusing to a woman. I tend to be risk averse, and if a guy gives me mixed signals, I tell myself "he's not THAT into me and I deserve someone who will adore me".

I want to feel safe, secure, amused and intellectually engaged with a guy. For me, starting out as friends is the best foundation for a relationship rather than rushing into things.

• flipper
    flipper

O.K. Snakes here comes Mr. Flipper of the ( Used to be Smooth with the ladies class). Just kidding! Hey, I was single for 4 to 5 years or so and dating women who I thought I was in love with. One relationship lasted year and a half , but she was not honest, cheated behind my back, rich 30 something lady. Another one was abusive and found out a couple years in she was a substance abuser, I've never done one drug, so that wasn't gonna work. So how did I find the love of my life, Mrs. Flipper? Wev'e been married happily for almost a year now.

I'm sure you've heard of e-harmony .com . It is really different from the other online dating services because it only hooks you up with people who have the same values, likes, dislikes , and standards as yourself. Here is what they do. You pay an initial $35.00 per month fee. They give you an approximately hour or 2 hour multiple choice question and answer session. These questions deal with everything important in life. What are your hobbies? How do you view sexual intimacy? What is your view of money? What is your view of rude, arrogant people? You get the picture, everything you think is important they ask and then some. If a person is serious about finding someone they like who will be attracted to you for being you, then you'll answer the questions honestly. It matches you up on 29 points of similarities in personality, values, ethics, hobbies, likes, dislikes, everything. Pretty cool. I dated a couple women for a couple months, before meeting the one who knocked me off my feet Mrs. Flipper. She was 51 ,I was 47 when we met almost 2 years ago.

I will tell you what I was looking for in a partner was honesty, because I had experienced being treated with dishonestly, had women who would say, "We can't tell you everything about us. A girl has to have some mystery about her. " Yeah, unless that mystery is they are cheating or doing drugs. That ain't fun.So what impressed me was Mrs. Flippers honesty in her write up about herself. She honestly said, " I've had issues with people being unfaithful, and issues losing loved one's in death. But I've overcome it, moved on.! " That's what I was looking for! Someone authentic, real! And it also helped we love the blues, rock music. Same values of showing respect to others. Both love the mountains, are liberal politically, and love animals. All this stuff would take you 2 years to find out, and what if there was something you didn't like? But due to e-harmony it takes away a lot of wasted time hanging in there with somebody who is not up front. E-harmony has a lot of success stories, we are one of them. You wanted suggestions, there you have it. Try it out, you just might get surprised!Believe me, both her and I went through some tough relationships, but are we ever glad we found each other. We are very happy! Peace out, good luck, Snakes, Mr. Flipper of the ( got my dream girl class )!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

serendipity:

please don't give mixed signals yourself

I think my problem is not sending any signals. Especially during that JW phase of "reaching out" for every so-called privlege under the sun it seems like I was focused too much on that and not on developing long-term relationships.

There was a point about 5 years ago when I reached a very high goal in the Borg. A good friend, single pioneer sister....I think was finally coming around to maybe dating me. She accepted a couple of dinner invitations (one of them not a cheap place to go). Then a few months later, when I did not follow through on moving "where the need was great" she was "disappointed" (ie, "not CO material, never mind"). When I asked her why she accepted dinner invitations if she really wasn't into me...she said "maybe I was sending out the wrong signals, Im sorry.". I let her get away with that excuse! I had friends who knew both of us and told me "oh, she was sending out strong signals to you...and you for a change picked up on them and it scared the hell out of her that you weren't that clueless "safe" friend anymore. So she ran.

So I have a couple of times picked up on the signals....and then when I try to carefully follow through..not push to hard, but not be to passive, they back off....oh, you really are paying attention.

S:

I deserve someone who will adore me

Why would a girl marry a guy that doesn't adore her and is not afraid to show it?

Let me tell you, if my ex-fiancee had not dumped me this time last year, we would have been married by now...she knew I adored her and her little girl....but I probably missed the bullet on that one... I think my ex was bipolar..that and the culture shock would have been a rough marriage......... I would have stuck with her no matter what. So if I ever do find someone willing to put up with my quirks, that gal will be adored by me.

SnakesInTheTower (of the "looking but not desperate" Sheep Class) ...desperation is not a good quality in anyone.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit