I have been Inducted.....

by AK - Jeff 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I was officially installed as a Member of Kiwanis International last evening. One other member and I had been attending since Spring as members but never had the ceremony. They finally got around to it this week.

In some ways I don't think I 'fit in' this group. They are mostly wealthy businessmen and lawyers - a crowd I would never find myself in otherwise. And as a former Jw, I really feel out of place. But it has helped me build my post-Watchtower mentality. We do the pledge of allegiance every week - and we are good citizens of the community. I like the social aspects of the club. It gives me a sense of belonging to something greater than myself. It has helped break the JW mold.

Kiwanis members are guided by these key principles:

• To give importance to the human and spiritual rather than the material values of life.
    • To encourage living by the Golden Rule.
    • To promote higher social, business, and professional standards.
    • To encourage and be servant leaders.
    • To build Kiwanis clubs that build lasting friendships and serve and strengthen local communities.
    • To promote justice, patriotism, and goodwill.

Well now I have a pin on my lapel and a Kiwanis logo on my back window of the car.

Just thought I would share this milestone.

Jeff

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Cool!

Congrats, Jeff.

• erandir
    erandir

I remember singing "My Old Kentucky Home" at the beginning of a meeting I was invited to when I was back in high school. Thing is, we were in Ohio.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think that's great.

Congratulations Jeff

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Good for you Jeff, congratulations

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I remember singing "My Old Kentucky Home" at the beginning of a meeting I was invited to when I was back in high school. Thing is, we were in Ohio.

Our club sings the first verse of 'America' each week. Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Congrats. Tell us, if you desire, what the local chapter does and what you might
    do as a Kiwanis member.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Tell us, if you desire, what the local chapter does and what you might
    do as a Kiwanis member.

The local group builds a lot of handicap ramps for churches, retirement homes, and elderly or injured individuals. They have awards and scholarship programs for the local schools. Fund raisers through the summer, mainly to support the Riley's Children Hospital in Indianapolis. Around Christmas time they adopt local children/families in need and provide gifts and aid.

I am not sure of all the activities yet to be honest. I have been told that they will wish to have me on at least one committee soon, so that should help me see the big picture [locally] a little better. All the focus is on the kids in the community.

I intend to 'dig in' and get involved when I better grasp the specific programs. One of the problems I see here, is that the club is fairly large, but most are 'inactive' - that is they don't attend the meetings often, nor participate in many of the club's services. They pay their dues - and they contribute cash I suppose in some cases - and that is not insignificant. But the real need is participation. I want to get involved and hope to encourage others in the same way. I just need to learn the ins and outs of the way things are done.

Jeff

• erandir
    erandir

Cool...sounds good. Congratulations.

And we also sang "America the Beautiful" before the "Old Kentucky Home" song.

I just thought it was strange to pick the Kentucky song.

Does your chapter sponser a "Student of the Month" program like our local one does? (That's why I was there, btw.)

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Tell us, if you desire, what the local chapter does and what you might
    do as a Kiwanis member.

The local group builds a lot of handicap ramps for churches, retirement homes, and elderly or injured individuals. They have awards and scholarship programs for the local schools. Fund raisers through the summer, mainly to support the Riley's Children Hospital in Indianapolis. Around Christmas time they adopt local children/families in need and provide gifts and aid.

I am not sure of all the activities yet to be honest. I have been told that they will wish to have me on at least one committee soon, so that should help me see the big picture [locally] a little better. All the focus is on the kids in the community.

I intend to 'dig in' and get involved when I better grasp the specific programs. One of the problems I see here, is that the club is fairly large, but most are 'inactive' - that is they don't attend the meetings often, nor participate in many of the club's services. They pay their dues - and they contribute cash I suppose in some cases - and that is not insignificant. But the real need is participation. I want to get involved and hope to encourage others in the same way. I just need to learn the ins and outs of the way things are done.

Jeff

Congratulations, Jeff !!!! No wonder "Jerhover's organization" disproves of the Kiwanis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit