UNDENIABLE LOGIC. Some cherish it while others dismiss it. Which are you?

by nicolaou 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

There are so many ways to get into this topic; Homeopathy, Astrology, Feng Shui, Alien Abductions, Seances and so on ad nauseum but let's pick a simple one - mathematics.

Do you accept the undeniable logic that 1+1 must ALWAYS equal 2?

I do. I cannot conceive of a situation where 1+1=3 but there was a time when I did! I would dismiss the undeniable logic of even simple mathematics to preserve the belief that the sum of the parts could be greater than the whole!

That was when I had faith. My old faith required me to accept that thousands of hungry people could be fed with a few loaves and fishes and that the leftover fragments would total more than the original amount. The undeniable beauty and simplicity of logic insists that this is impossible - it didn't happen.

Perhaps not all faith defies logic, (in which case is it really faith at all?) but the faith that contradicts proven, common-sense, undeniable logic surely needs to be respectfully retired.

Nic'

• John Doe
    John Doe

Actually, nicolou, your statement is not universally true as stated. The statement only holds when dealing with common units. Left unstated, you're requiring the reader to make a huge assumption in order for your statement to be true.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    The statement only holds when dealing with common units. Left unstated, you're requiring the reader to make a huge assumption in order for your statement to be true.

Well okay but I was trying to keep it simple. Can 1 apple plus 1 apple ever equal 3 apples?

• John Doe
    John Doe

A point that might easily be taken here is that things are rarely as simple as a cursory glance makes them seem.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

But sometimes they absolutely are that simple!

What do you say JD? Could Matthew 15:32-38 and Mark 8:1-9 be accurate accurate accounts of a real event? Of course not, well not unless you dismiss undeniable logic that is.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Perhaps not all faith defies logic, (in which case is it really faith at all?) but the faith that contradicts proven, common-sense, undeniable logic surely needs to be respectfully retired.

Nic'

Logic is relative. Proven? Exactly what has been proven that makes faith defy logic?

• freeme
    freeme

when jesus fed the hungry he didnt an unlogical thing. it was a wonder. a wonder is something someone doesnt understand, it doesnt make it unlogical.

god probably "created" bread out of pure energy through jesus on that occasion. so everythings fine. mathematics still work. 1+1+1=3

thats how i saw it.

the only thing i wondered is: wasnt creation finished long before? or did he beam bread from somewhere else in the world to jesus (would make god a thief lol - despite the fact he owns everything).

crazy stuff :)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just a few random mumblings:

Plant an apple and you'll eventually have much more than three, therefore "1 = many", in the right context.

Start the ball rolling with an expression of generosity by sharing your meagre lunch, and before you know it maybe a park full of 5,000 people will share what little they have with them with one another. A few baskets of remaining scraps isn't unlikely in that situation.

How does logic deal with the concept of "infinity"? What is "infinity + infinity"?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just a few random mumblings:

Plant an apple and you'll eventually have much more than three, therefore "1 = many", in the right context.

Start the ball rolling with an expression of generosity by sharing your meagre lunch, and before you know it maybe a park full of 5,000 people will share what little they have with them with one another. A few baskets of remaining scraps isn't unlikely in that situation.

How does logic deal with the concept of "infinity"? What is "infinity + infinity"?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Doesn't 1+1=10 in binary code?

Still a logical answer as valid as 1+1=2

Maybe it depends on individual perspective and external conditions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit