What is your opinion of prayer?

by journey-on 70 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

Do you still pray? How are your prayers different now that you're not a JW? What do your prayers involve? Do agnostics pray? If so, to whom are they directed? Just curious.

• PEC
    PEC

I talk to myself sometimes; but, I don't expect any answers.

Philip

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. ~Author Unknown

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish. ~Author Unknown

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. ~Frederick Douglass, escaped slave

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I often talk to myself, answer myself, then will commend/criticize myself for the actions I took. Sick, huh!

• BrentR
    BrentR

I have been facinated by the research on collective conciousness. Since almost every religion from every culture has some form of prayer there may be something to it. Of course JW's and most christian sects would label as demonic/occult because calling it collective conciousness does not involve god.

I use positive thought projection but that is a far cry from prayer.

• 5go
    5go
    Do you still pray? How are your prayers different now that you're not a JW? What do your prayers involve? Do agnostics pray? If so, to whom are they directed? Just curious.

I am experiment with praying while dreaming. Though I find just as effective doing it while awake. Though it is kind of hard to keep control a dream without waking up. I think I have a new thread !

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Prayer

A totally and complete waste of brain synapsis...

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i speak to whatever it is i feel is god, but, i'm not so delusional to think anything is really listening. i definately don't do a "formal" prayer, with a structure. like, through jesus name we pray.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Many the folk that have assumed prayer was meant to replace communications as we know it between sentient beings or that cause and effect rules are at play when the physical and metaphysical worlds interface. IMHO prayer has subtle psychological affects that only manifest themselves over time with persistence and sincerity. Anything else is exceptional and limited. carmel

• John Doe
    John Doe

Well, it doesn't offend me if people pray to me, but I'm usually not inclined to answer them. I've noticed the more I ignore people's prayers to me, the more they think I answered their prayer in some abstract way. ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit