My dumplings turned out crappy.

by IP_SEC 62 Replies latest jw friends

• dobbie
    dobbie

mmm...dumplings

I make mine with vegetable suet, they always turn out delicious, if only i could cook yorkshire puddings!

IP_SEC you said it turned out too soggy, do you think you might have put too much water in them?

Boy i fancy veg stew and dumps now but its way too hot over here to cook that, already cooking the lads a roast dinner.(without the yorkie puds)

• Scully
    Scully

The trick to making biscuits from scratch is to make sure you don't cut in the shortening too finely - it should be of a coarse consistency - and gradually mix in your liquid a bit at a time, so that the dry ingredients are just moistened, not wet.

The dough should hold together and you should be able to pat it out on a floured surface and use whatever cutter (or pinch off a handful and form a small ball with it) you like to form the biscuits.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Ah dobbie - the secret to Yorkshire puddings is to make sure your batter is well aerated (?sp) and leave it to stand at room temp for 20 mins before cooking it.

Also line your tin with lard (not oil!) and make sure it's real hot before putting the batter in!

• dobbie
    dobbie

thanks Sad Emo by aerating do you mean whisking it alot?Also i can't use lard as i'm veggie so use oil. Unless you can get a veggie lard cos you can get veg suet, will have to check it out!

Sorry for going off your topic IP_SEC!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Wow I really didnt expect anyone to respond. I guess dumplings mean a lot huh? LOL

What is this Yorkshire puddings you speak of?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I most often make them with Bisquick (or the Jiffy brand mix) but I have occasionally used the Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits when I'm in a hurry. I do prefer the Bisquick method much better though.......which reminds me....

I haven't thought of fixing chicken and dumplings since last winter! YUM!

hugs,

Annie

• blondie
    blondie

foolproof dumpings--bisquick dumplings

cook chicken per recipe, just as meat is slipping off the boats, can debone, drop bisquick mix and into top of liquid and cover until fluffy. try a test one. Use their recipe.

• Scully
    Scully

Yorkshire puddings are quite tasty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_pudding

• dobbie
    dobbie

Yorkshire puds are gorgeous (when made properly lol) made from batter like pancakes and put in tin to make small individual round ones or big ones. I usually cheat now and buy ready ones that cook in 4 mins!

And my dinners wrecked now cos i did an extra lot of roast potatoes cos i was going to just have that with bread sauce and nothing else and i was so busy reading this thread i overboiled them and now looks like mash!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The only dumplings I ever tasted were the ones my mom made when I was a kid. They were nothing more than balls of dough boiled in water, and they never failed to make me gag. Just thinking about them has made me rethink the idea of eating lunch.

Is there really more to dumplings than boiling dough in water? Should I give these things another chance?

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit