At the hall last night

by Shawn10538 58 Replies latest jw experiences

• Open mind
    Open mind

JWdaughter:

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not defending the big oaf who got in Shawn's way. He was clearly being an A$$h*le. My only point is that, legally, they don't have to have a "good reason" to ask someone to leave. Even though there is an implied invitation for the public to attend, it's not public property. The "implied invitation" can be revoked at any time by any Barney Fife window washer who gets a hair up his butt.

From Shawn's story it sounds like the elder who arranged to get him the books blew it and the Neanderthal made it worse.

(I apologize in advance to any Neanderthal's currently appearing in the GEICO Insurance ads.)

Open Mind

• changeling
    changeling

Wow!!!!!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Every single encounter with these sick and ignorant people just drags me down and makes me pity them more and more

so why bother with the books then...

let it go already

• steve2
    steve2

so why bother with the books then...

let it go already

If you look beyond the "ouch" component of this suggestion, there's a lot of good sense to it. Now that you've had this kind of negative experience at the Hall, you'd have to decide whether you want to put yourself through it again, and if, so, what your purpose would be.

If it's to prove a personally important point, go to it, but you've been warned. If it's not tp prove a point, best keep away - for your own health's sake, if nothing else. Sometimes the most difficult thing we can do is, Just walk away. It can be too easy getting caught up in personal point-scoring that just makes things so much harder in the long run, regardless of rights.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I'm walking distance from where you live. Did you by chance go to the congregation on Cherry ave? Or was it the one north of downtown? I think it's on atlantic? My wife attends the one at cherry ave.

• choosing life
    choosing life

The Insight books and the concordance are not books that are usually offered door to door. It does sound like this guy was expecting you. How would that happen unless the elder you requested the literarure from told him? I think you need to ask this elder what happened. I smell a rat.

I do think it is going to get tighter and much less friendly at the kingdom hall. The future does not look so bright for the publishing company.

• flipper
    flipper

Shawn- Who the holy hell does that big guy think he is anyway? Big brother Hoss from the Bonanza Cartwright family or something? Jeez! Did he think you were going to pick on little Joe literature servant? It always amazed me how nosy witnesses could be when I was in it. You'd be making conversation with someone , you thought in private, then from 4 rows away after the meeting comes brother intruder saying," I couldn't help but overhear your conversation, is everything alright? " I'd say," Yeah it was great until you came! " No but this brother big a$$ pants needs to have somebody chop him down to size. Some people think they need to be an authority on everybody elses business. It's called insecurity on their part and the " I need to get a life " complex. O.K. I vented, call me Shawn, I'll be your bodyguard

• sspo
    sspo

Did you offer to contribute money?

The pressure is on the dubs to contribute when they have special order items.

It's all about money.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In addition to making a scene that would probably make it into the paper the next morning (and likely posted on YouTube), you could get the books from a church or Christian literature store. The Concordance is available in Christian bookstores (especially if they promote the King James version or a similar one with updated English but no substantial modifications). The Hindsight book is exclusive of the Watchtower Society, but I am sure that any other church would have its version of this book.

The last thing they want is to have a scene where they are stopping someone from getting their literature, except maybe the threat of getting it at another church made in front of 50 members of the congregation. If just one of those people go to that church or Christian bookstore, they have lost one member. Plus, when it shows up in the paper the next morning, the public will see it as a cult and not as the truth. True, you could be banned from that Kingdumb Hell. But you will have done some serious damage. The territory will be that much less productive for the incident's being in the paper, and you could easily stumble one or more of those in line to go to another church.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

some thoughts: first of all, that guy is going to get in trouble some day, and then the whole congregation will look the other way and pretend they never knew him. Sounds like a real asshole. Second, why bother - you know their doctrine is false. Why bother? Third, if you feel like making a point, order the books again, go back to get them, walk right past that bully and if he even moves in your direction, shriek and fall to the floor and keep screaming. "Oww owww owww that hurts that hurts." They'll get you out of there so fast! And with your books if that's what it takes to stop you from keeping up the drama. You could threaten to press charges and point to a bunch of people and say "you saw what happened! he attacked me" even though you know you aren't going to go through with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit