Do you have any assembly memories/stories?

by RisingEagle 30 Replies latest jw friends

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

On an earlier thread about ice cream I remembered a snack that was sold at assemblies and that started me thinking about some of my memories of childhood at conventions/assemblies. I guess it was the taste/smell association because even today when I go to various convention halls for home improvement expos, car shows and the like it takes me right back to the past. I have many memories wrapped around the conventions and experienced different things because I have lots of elders in the family that were used, literally, for food service, the accounting office, security and dramas. As a kid that had limited play experience due to the upbringing, I remember some assemblies as big playgrounds and some as 'responsibilities' because I was required to work. Once those horrid plastic sandwich-making gloves came off it was time to explore and see how close I could come to getting into trouble (as much as a preteen true believer JW goody-two-shoes nerd could get). How about you? Do you have a memory or two to share? I'll start

I learned to make coffee at an assembly when I was 8. They used those huge percolator urns in those days that seemed to take an hour to brew. There's some fun for an 8 yr old, dealing with grumpy half-awake elders that had to work early who were ticked off that the coffee wasn't ready. That was back when they still took cash for food purchases. I remember jockeying with my siblings for the 'best' table to work. A sister with a cash drawer sat in the back and you told them how much the purchase was and handed them the money. They made change and gave it to you to return to the purchaser. I always tried to work the table with the prettiest sister (I said I was a nerd, not stupid) cashier. One morning I had sister olderthandirt at my table and she was so slow at returning change that my older brother was told to take over because the elder in charge thought it was my fault the line was so slow. Well that sent me off bawling my eyes out (hey, I was 8) wiping them on my fine faux silk clip-on tie, straight to my dad who was manning a contribution box. He showed me how to make change on the spot and I made a triumphant return at lunchtime. So when I had sister smellslikeshoes as my cashier I could walk up with the money and tell her how much the purchase was and how much to return to me to give back. Now that I think about it, making change is pretty good skill to have these days (thanks dad).

Another year we were recruited by a relative in the accounting office to sort food tickets. I guess they ran low on them so we had to go through bags of them and separate the full 10 ticket pages and re-staple them into new books. I find that odd now, given that we were working for a publishing company. So after working through an afternoon session assembling new ticket books the elder in charge picked up a random book and counted the pages. Yup, one page too many (it wasn't me I know how to count. I can even make change). They pulled some of the sisters at work counting the cash drawers to audit the newly made ticket books. NO way was there going to be a fortunate witless buy a ticket book with an extra dollar's worth of tickets. Two thoughts: if JW's are so honest wouldn't they have returned the extra page they didn't pay for AND how did they know that jehoobers direction didn't cause that ticket book to have that extra page so some starving pioneer could have a pudding and a sandwich? hmmm

Last one for now. I remember speaking with an elder relative who was assigned to the nightshift security squad at an assembly. Why? Because there was talk of the homeless in the downtown area trying to break in and steal. Steal what, the fine bound books before they were released the next day? The muffin-egg sandwiches or possibly the awesome apple danish (had to be the apple ones because there were always cheese danish left over they tried to sell by the box load after the final session)? Nope. The spirit gum that was used to attach the beards to the actors faces in the drama. Apparently spirit gum theft was so rampant at conventions that a MS was assigned to be 'in charge' of the spirit gum. I met the guy they assigned that year to watch over the stinky stuff. He was honored to have been asked.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I remember the time our family decided to help with cleaning after the assembly. It had been a very dry 4 days and there was lotsa dust everywhere - we tackled it with gusto - we had mucousy allergies for the next 2 days.

On a more positive note - we loved the doughnuts and bacon baps - nice way to start the day - lovely drowsy anaesthetised feeling for the morning sessions.

• ness
    ness

I have very distinct childhood memories of Circuit Assemblies and Conventions. My dad was an elder so I was either helping out around First Aid or the Literature Department. My family and I would always be some of the last to leave because dad was always in meetings and stuff, so as a little kid you can imagine how bored I got. Then when kids finally did find something 'fun' to do, like writing on the blackboard or running up and down the stage stairs we'd invariably get in trouble.

overall I have fond memories...but that's the whole point...all my childhood memories are centered around meetings, field service, conventions, assemblies, busy bees...not exactly a normal childhood lol ;)

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle
    It had been a very dry 4 days and there was lotsa dust everywhere - we tackled it with gusto - we had mucousy allergies for the next 2 days.

Oh yes, I know what you mean. There was a convention center the dubs used that didn't clean it for two weeks prior to the assemblies because they knew the JWs would do it for them. It seems like there was either a massive rock concert or the circus in the days leading up to the convention. The local congos would converge on the place with pressure washers for the seats and putty knives for the discarded gum. One year I was assigned to push a large squeegee (sp?) on a mop handle behind the pressure washer to remove the water. The guy operating the washer was faster than I and ended up on the next row which meant every time we passed each other I would get soaked. I got a nice little cold but hey, didn't miss a day of the convention.

find something 'fun' to do, like writing on the blackboard or running up and down the stage stairs

Another place we used had ramps to go up and down to the different floors of the center. It had stairs and elevators that almost all the dubs used because they were more convenient to the entrances. But the ramps were kind of hidden and they had been built way before the americans with disabilities act so they were extremely steep. A person in a wheelchair would be taking their life into their hands to use them. Lots of us rebellious boys discovered that our slick bottomed leather shoes made ideal 'sliding' mechanisms and the girls soon followed to watch. We had a lot of fun until elder nevergetsany saw what we were doing. They roped off the ramps and made an announcement from the podium about us. I think I'm still on punishment for that one.

• Namaste
    Namaste

We were always one of the first families in and just about the last ones to leave. Made for some very long days at the DC's. Except for the one time we stayed in a hotel, we always drove the 1 hour to 1.5 hour drive to the location. 2 to 3 hours in the car every day, plus the assembly, getting 7 people up and out the door in the morning by 6am....by the last day we were all at each other's throats!

Random things I remember,

Always wondering what it would be like to actually eat the "hot lunch" instead of the crummy sandwiches but never knowing because it was way too expensive to feed the whole family that way

Lots and lots of kitchen duty back in the day when they still made meals and prepped food. Endless hours of vacuuming and cleaning the assembly hall at the end of the day.

Hoping and praying I could prep food at the DC so I didn't have to be in the arena and listen to the program.

The endless notebooks filled with notes. Checking out the cute boys

My Mom making sure she brought tons of treats to the assemblies and conventions, gum, Lifesavers, MnM's She knew it was boring as all get out for us kids so she did her best. I love my mom.

Mom always doing an awesome job in making sure we had new clothes and looked well dressed. I know she tried so hard to give us a leg up, we were always the outsider elder's kids and finally the kids of the elder who didn't want to be an elder any more, never in the inner circles. She worked her butt off before every assembly to get everything ready and my dad never did a thing. He always picked a fight with her on the first or second morning and she would spend the ride to the convention choking back tears and then putting on her "happy family, everything is fine face" for the rest of the day.

• ness
    ness

Namaste, you verbalised that perfectly.

• Enjoying freedom
    Enjoying freedom

I remember sitting at conventions with my family in various locations (Twickenham, Norwich and Cardiff) in the cold rain, with black bin liners wrapped around our legs, holding umbrellas and thinking.... (now this is really sad!).......... that this is great because now I cannot take notes and look up the scriptures.

Bit of a pain when you had to stand for song and prayer though!

I hated conventions - one time I did tell my book study elder my thoughts on why I hate assemblies, but he really didn't believe me. Just responded that he loved them! I never did have much time for his screwy views on life and priorities!

Our family would also end up doing cleaning and car park duty. We were first in last out.

The one good thing were the bacon sandwiches in the morning. But then they have to go and take away THE ONLY GOOD thing about the assemblies and tell everyone that food is not provided!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

There was this guy I grew up with, everybody thought we'd get married (well, until he was dfd for assaulting a minor and no, his now adult victim didn't and doesn't want to involve the police). One time we found a crate of cans of lemonade, shook each one up and opened them trying to get the biggest spurt. Another time we raced each other across the creek balancing on the water pipe that was strung a couple of metres above it. Another time we stood at the entrance gate waving people goodbye, pretending to cry like we'd miss them, people thought it was so cute until we threw a sand rock at their car.

Okay in my defence I'd like to point out that that was the absolute worst behaviour I ever displayed as a child. I also remember many many many boring assemblies when I didn't do anything naughty at all.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

These wastefests are always so boring. After the first one, I don't think they were worth going to--the second one I went to was a huge letdown. And after that, I couldn't wait for them to end (in fact, I would hope against hope that we would get a blizzard in the middle of summer so they would get cancelled).

The last one I went to, I wore a headphones. They had a broadcast for those hard of hearing to tune into a headset and listen to it. Instead, I had a tape running (nowadays I would have a mini disc player or MP3 player). That tape had some of the filthiest rap I could locate (including the song Purple Pills) and foul language, running during the program. I used it to help drown out the Kingdumb Maladies. I would rather listen to Eminem and D12 and 50 Cent than listen to that borefest for the 50th time.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Assemblies, I remember:

waiting in lines so long for the bathroom that you almost pee'd on yourself

it being so hot that your clothes stuck to you and you felt like crap all day long

my shoes (because they were new) hurting like hell, but couldn't take them off because the white socks would get dirty

sitting for hours at a time, bored out of my skull. We were allowed to sleep up till about age 5, then it was being pinched, makeing you stand up at your seat or get'n a beating if you could not stay awake

we never stayed in hotels - there were too many kids for that, so we had to get up at the crack of dawn, ride jam packed in a station wagon every day

The good thing:

fruit bags, apple danish, mom frying chicken (never made sandwiches) potato salad,snack and juices. Again we had to bring our own food for the most part with 7 kids to feed they couldnt afford it.

I'm so glad my kids didn't have to have that kind of life!

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit