Do you have any assembly memories/stories?

by RisingEagle 30 Replies latest jw friends

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

We used to go to the Clemens center in Elmira NY and if you went through the emergency exits on the left side of the auditorium (assuming you were in the auditorium facing the stage) there was a slide going down along the stairs. I've no idea what it was for, but I know what we used it for! A big ol slide!

Also at the top of those steps there was a door to the roof of the building and we would get up there and lay in the sun!

That center was AWESOME we explored and went up behind the stage and everywhere once we even went up the spiral staircase behind the curtains into the catwalks! We never got caught but that would have been real trouble!

Did anyone else ever go to that center?

• Crafty Lady
    Crafty Lady

mkr

I stopped going to the same congregation you were in way back in the 70's. We used to have our assemblies at the Masonic Temple in Binghamton. We had a chorus and used to practice in some of the inner sanctum rooms upstairs. It's been a long time but I remember some of the decorations were weird and looked satanic. Oh, no!

We had a small assembly at the Community Center by the lake in Watkins Glen. Had to set up and take down so many chairs. I was assigned to wash pots in a little area by the bathrooms. I don't know who assigned that, but there's nothing like getting your assembly finery and shoes all gunked up and soaking wet from wrestling those huge pots.

I always loved working in food service because you got to miss sessions....I don't know what I'd do with myself now that they don't serve food.

Crafty

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

I remember going to newport New york in the 2000's

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I remember them being about as interesting as watching paint dry!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The brother who converted me gave an experience of converting me at a CA in St Albans ,a suburb of Melbourne

around Nov 1960 when My then GF and I were Baptised ,so that we could be married in a KH in 1961.

He took so long about it that the brother after him who was supposed to give his experience didn`t get a chance to.

• zeb
    zeb

The big convention where they have the dramas.On one ocasion once these started there was a rush of sisters from who knows where out to see, not to miss oh wow, the drama and they were in such a hurry they nearly bowled a small boy down the steps if i hadnt grabbed him in time.

I told the sister off but she was in such a dizz (after all zeb its the drama..) she looked at me like i was glass and then moved off into the mob. Oh and she had a pioneer badge on too for what thats worth.

and a couple of conventions where having driven long rural miles to get there found the parking had been killed by irresponsible parkers after which so pissed off we left.

• Onager
    Onager

I remember camping in the park near the stadium in Cardiff 30+ years ago. We caught Elvers (baby eels) in the nearby river but the best bit is that it rained and the whole site turned into a quagmire and us kids helped push the cars through the mud. After sitting through the endless tedium of the convention slipping and sliding about all over the place and getting absolutely covered in mud was absolute heaven!

I also remember making sandwiches with my brother at Dudley assembly hall and getting into trouble because we wrote things like "Comrade Mattski" and "Captain Sam" on our paper hats, which looked vaguely military to us. We only got that "privilege" once.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I hated assemblies and out of all the assemblies I only actually remember one good thing.

Concorde flying over Twickenham. That was awesome. :)

On the 3rd day we were actually counselled against being distracted by it "because we wouldn't want to miss something important or potentially life saving would we?".

• blondie
    blondie

I remember the speaker who said that non-jws were corpses and people married to them were kissing corpses.

I can say that when I stopped attending all meetings at the KH and conventions and assemblies that my despondency disappeared. How quickly the oppressive fog lifted. No more hearing that I was an elephant conditioned to stay chained to a post, that non-JWs were only corpses, and that Jesus only picked up shiny new quarters and left the dirty pennies on the sidewalk. No more wondering why the love of God and Jesus weren't seen at the WTS gatherings. If you haven't already, why not take a vacation from the WTS grind?

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

Macon, GA Coliseum in the early 80's

Arriving early to help unload reefer trailers of pallets of food and drinks + new releases

Making roast beef sandwiches

Getting molested in the lost and found bathroom by an elders 20 something son

Getting to sit in a section all by myself away from my parents and get my very own free copy of the Young People Ask book

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit