Potty training kids and different views...

by FreedomFrog 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Here's what I did with my daughter: To keep her from wetting the bed, I cutoff any drinks at 1 hour before bed time and then made sure she went potty before she went to bed. It worked perfectly. I wet the bed when I was little and my parents' solution was to get me up right before they went to bed (11pm) to go.

• tinker
    tinker

Ok, I'm going to jump in here with the Grandparent viewpoint. If you want me to care for your child overnight and is not yet potty trained then I'm going to use 'pull ups' because I'm old and don't want to set my alarm to get up. I've played and washed and carried this little sweet thing all day and now I'm pooped out....Gotta go to bed. Heck, maybe I should try a pull-up so I don't have to get up in the night.

Please don't be offended, I'm just saying, maybe they are worn out. I had 4 children and all needed a different approach to 'potty training' My oldest son trained himself at 18mos. My daughter, with lots of work trained before 3. The next two boys needed every trick in the book. The youngest wet the bed until almost 5. The thing I learned was, they all learn to use the potty long before the start hight school.

In the Big Picture of things, this potty training phase is a very short period of time. Keep your washing machine is good working order and make peace with the wet bed.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    Oh, I forgot about those...they are cloth but thicker...right?

Yup those are the ones! When I was training my kids and my mother in law didn't think they were ready and she put them back in diapers, I found another baby sitter! If the sitter can't work with you maybe you need another one.

I'm not saying that this is possible for you, it's just that if the person who is helping cannot really "help" maybe other options are needed. In my case I did have other options!

Good luck

nj

• DJK
    DJK

My view. I haven't had children potty training for about 25 years now. I haven't read the posts on this thread, IMO, I dont think a potty training child see's a plastic mattress cover under a regular sheet as a lack of confidence from a parent. As a parent, we see it as mattress protection. To a child, it crinkles when they move.

My son was a little slower than my daughter. They say that's true about girl's and boy's for whatever reason. I say that the measure of confidence expressed by a parent far outweighs the inconvenience of frequently washing sheets. Plastic sheets and regular underwear, however inconvenient, is an early lesson (maybe the first) in selfconfidence. And it does help to stop fluids long before bed and waking the child to go to the bathroom.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I feel like pull ups are just a commercial gimmick to make us mums feel like we have to buy one more thing to be a 'Good Mum'.

It was 7 years ago that I potty trained now, but if I remember rightly, I left if for ages because nappies are so useful, especially if you need to go into town and getting to a public toilet is a damn nuisance, and when I finally let her come out of nappies I think I just let her wet herself lots.

It seemed to work. Shes 10 now and uses a toilet beautifully.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

My aunt in Texas was crazy when it came to potty training. She had all of her kids trained (and she bragged about it) by the time they were 9 months old and no older than a year. She would give them a big spanking if they had an accident. I do not agree with that and feel that is on the abuse side of it.

We would always call her "Military" mom. Even though to us it was a negative name...she wore that name proudly and still does.

My sister, her son wasn't totally potty trained until he was about 6 years old.

Some people go overboard with this...and some become lazy with it.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    She had all of her kids trained (and she bragged about it) by the time they were 9 months old and no older than a year.

WOW! Thats terrible. Poor kids. Whats the big rush, they arent going to be able to get to University any quicker because they mastered the crapper before they could walk.

My daughters just rushed in from playing out and shouted "Im desperate for the toilet, can you fetch me a pair of shorts and a pair of knickers" so maybe I didnt do such a good job after all!!

Funniest thing when she was potty training was that she was immensely good at peeing standing up like a boy, and she also was pretty good at peeing in the garden when she couldnt be bothered to interrupt her game to go inside. It really didnt go down that well at her Aunty Prissy Pants house when she peed up against the tree at the end of the garden standing up like a boy before anyone could repress stop her.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Thats too funny about your daughter standing up and peeing.

My daughter, when we started out with this training thing, decided to try her playhouse toilet...she found out that the little toilet was much smaller than what she needed...lol

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

For the OP: sounds as if you are doing a great job. The time with the GP's may be undoing a little potty training, but it is temporary, not fatal and far outweighed by the benefits to you and your child. You need those nights for whatever reason. THEY need the bonding, time together, relationship. Many here know how precious that is. While you wish the in-laws would do it different, I think you should just let it go, keep up all your good work and remind your daughter that no matter which person is with her, the goal is for her to always go potty in the toilet.

Personally, I don't like the pull-ups much either. When they are old enough to really care, big kids undies are more of an incentive than pull ups are. Being wet is a pretty strong motivator, and pull ups don't allow them that nasty awful feeling(hey, we have to suffer to grow!!) I am pretty relaxed and pretty much let my kids take the lead-which felt interminable when they were approaching 3, but right after, in all three kids, they were potty trained (no night issues, either!) beautifully. I got really lucky with the bedwetting thing, or my relaxed approach let them be more natural about it all.I'm not sure. But I have a 7 year old who had one wet bed when he was totally exhausted from an illness last year. Kind of freaked the poor kid out. We just 'oh, well' ed and there was no trauma or other incidents. I think being kind of 'matter of fact' about going to the toilet is a good way to go, and the same attitude for accidents. Everyone has a different style and DEFINITELY have different children. It will work out. 100/90% is pretty awesome!

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    It will work out. 100/90% is pretty awesome!

Thank you, I think it will work out too. It's just the stress of trying to get ones that are caretakers to get on the same page to make it less confusing for my little girl.

The next thing I will need to train her from is her binky. I have a feeling I'll have a fight on this too and not only with my daughter refusing to give it up but with the other side of the caretakers. I would like to say "ok, until she's trained, I can't have you take her right now"...I won't do that ever buts it's a feeling I'd love to say.

The binky will be another day's battle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit