Potty training kids and different views...

by FreedomFrog 34 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

See, daughter took a 3 1/2 hour nap and no wetting of the bed. I praised her and she smiled and hugged me saying "tank you...ahhh, tank you". She's so proud of herself when she wakes up dry and no diapers/pull-ups.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I hate to say this, but my kids pretty much trained themselves. Three of them were two or younger and just wanted to use the toilet, so they did. I did try to train them when they were younger and it just didn't work.

Our daughter was about 20 months old and kept bringing diapers to me (I thought because she was wet) but she was dry. My mother said she needed to use the potty, and that was what she wanted. She wore diapers at night for about another week, and that was it. Very fast and unexpected.

Our first son was 26 months and the second son was about 3 or maybe a bit more. He copied his brother and did it himself. They were all dry overnight by age 2, but I kept the diapers on to be sure.

Our fourth son was much younger than the others so he was very aware of the toilet at an early age, so was trained by 2. I didn't do a thing. It took longer for him to be dry at night though. Probably by age 4 he had stopped.

My pediatrician said the worst mistake parents make is to try and train too early. He always said they will let you know and they did. I had friends who started training their kids at 18 months and it took six months to do the job. I can truthfully say it was a one day shot for all 4 of mine.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Learn to love laundry! lol.

My son was a very deep sleeper. And a very deep drinker! He was always so hot and thirsty and would scream blue murder if he couldn't have a bedtime drink. He wet the bed until he was 5 or six just because he could not wake up to go pee. Laundering the sheets every day became my morning ritual. Wake up, strip the bed. Plastic sheets are a must! Pull-ups are useless (fine for a tiny dribble, but my kid peed like a race horse). Once they are out of diapers, though, you can't really put them back in, it is too humiliating for them.

I finally trained my kid not to wet the bed by setting the alarm for me at 2-3am and forcibly dragging him out of bed, half asleep to pee. Half the time he peed on the floor! But it did train him to wake up at a certain time of night to go. In the day time, he was fully trained by 2 1/2 -3 yrs old. Naked definitely works better and not starting too soon, and NO punishing, if you have a stubborn child that just turns it into a battle of wills you cannot win.

My sexist observation: Little boys do not seem to mind sitting in poop as much as little girls!

Cog

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I have four grown Children. Each one Unique. I used Cloth Diapers most of the time.

My Sons were both close to Three when they gave up Diapers. We had quite a few wet beds and lots of work!

One daughter completely gave up Diapers day and night when she was only 15 months old. She would climb over the bars of her at night to go to the potty. She couldn't tolerate wetness against her skin.

The Younger daughter rather enjoyed wearing Dirty Diapers; she'd sit in a corner and suck her thumb. She was past three years old when she started wearing Big Girl Panties but she was a Bed Wetter throughout Elementary School. We allowed her to wear a Disposable Diaper at night. It was much easier than washing Sheets, Blankets and so forth on a Daily Basis.

I suggest Not to Make a Big Deal out of Potty Training. Unless a child is physically or mentally disabled, they all eventually get through it.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

And I absolutely agree with Mulan.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    And I absolutely agree with Mulan.

Thanks.

I used cloth diapers too. Disposables were really, really expensive, not very good, (60's and 70's) and most people only used them for when they traveled.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I recall trying to use a Disposable Diaper in 1975 on my oldest son. It was really tough getting a Safety Pin through all those layers.:-) I don't remember sticky tabs. Perhaps they were there and I didn't know it.

• Scully
    Scully

This is kind of an indicator of your parents' respect for your parenting decisions, isn't it?

Do they take your kids to the KH, even though you might prefer that they not do so? If they are doing that, then potty training is the least of your worries.

Bottom line (no pun intended), regardless of how you put it to your parents, they are going to disregard your expectations, and cross boundaries that you would prefer that they respect.

Now, you might be able to get away with it if your daughter has a "mysterious diaper rash" that would indicate a sensitivity to the Pull Ups products. One of my kids got horrid rashes from a certain brand of diapers, so we never used them.

Alternatively, you might just need to sit down with your folks and have an honest heart-to-heart with them about this. Say things like "I know you mean well when you buy the Pull Ups for her, and I really love your generosity. Really, though, it isn't necessary - the way we've been doing it at home is really working well for us and it would help her more if you'd just follow our same toileting routine when she's with you. It's upsetting for her to come home and have "accidents" after spending a couple of nights with you, when she didn't have them at home. I'm sure you know how important it is for little children to have established routines - and I know you don't intentionally try to sabotage the routine we have at home. I would really appreciate your help in keeping to the toileting routine we practice at home - it makes her feel great to wake up with a dry bed and panties and the Pull Ups don't encourage the keeping of our routine. Thanks so much for understanding."

• helncon
    helncon
    Our youngest is slowly getting it, but he takes great offense to any help whatsoever. If we catch him going on the toilet and offer praise we are met with a loud "NOOOOO" then the door is quickly closed. He values his privacy I guess.

I get this from my three year old.....lol.....

When i trained my daughter for the night time it was easy as i would be getting home from work aroud 11/12 at night so i would wake her up and take her, this was great and did it over a fornight, we still had the occasional accident but had an extra sheet and protector under the top ones so no remaking the bed of a night.

But now with my son its a bit harder as the nights are COLD and i guess i haven't really tried hard enough but he had gotten up a few mornings recently with a dry nappy.

Pull ups are a great idea but yes they are expensive and a waste of mony my son thinks they are a nappy and still just goes to the toilet in them.

You may have to talk to the g/parents with your concern and look up so info that may help them with taking her to the toilet.

BTW what time do they go to bed around 9/10 pm if so they may be able to take her before they go to bed(depending what time your daughter goes to bed) and if they are early risers may have to wake your daughter up then and take here. Just another option.

Helen

• Scully
    Scully

Something you may want to get are the plasticized/quilted pads that will absorb any "accidents". I used those for my kids (I had about 3 of them - usually one on the bed, one in the laundry and a spare) and tucked it under a flannel receiving blanket (I had dozens of those) on their bed. It meant that I didn't have to change their sheets all the time.

I'm all for anything that cuts down on laundry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit