Potty training kids and different views...

by FreedomFrog 34 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

When I was growing up, I remember my parents would put those plastic "cover" things over my sisters panties and put those protective sheets on the bed to help them with potty training. Especially when they were doing great with using the potty on their own during the daytime.

My aunt in Texas would beat her kids arses if they wet the bed. (Now I do NOT agree with this way)

Now days they have pull-up. I have mixed feeling about this way for several reasons. First reason is they are too darn expensive. Second, they feel like diaper, they look like diapers...and even when I've gotten them before my daughter would call them diapers even though I'd tell her they are "panties".

When my daughter spends the night with Grandparents (the ones that are not JW's) they want to put her in the pull-ups. They spend the night quite often and when I put my daughter down for a nap she cries for a diaper (pull-ups). We were doing well with the training and no pull-ups and no accidents. She has accidents sometimes but if you set an alarm once through the night and get her up to go potty, she does not and has not had an accident. I'm not sure how I want to handle this because I feel that they putting her in these "diapers" called pull-ups are defeating my training purposes. She hadn't had an accident once until this morning when she took a small nap. They had told me they had put her in pull-ups.

There are ways to put her to bed using protective sheets and plastic covers for her panties but they seem to not wanna do this.

Now, I have her for most of the time but I'm getting frustrated because they have her at least 2 nights in a week and those 2 nights are undoing what progress we make. I'm taking my son camping and they will have her for the weekend...I don't know if I should just let it go or try to convince them not to use them.

She's potty trained for the most part and now I'm trying to get her totally away from diapers/pull-ups.

For you parents...how did you potty train your children for the night time? Again, she's totally trained during the day...and 90% during the night.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Most kids will have accidents no matter how potty trained they are doing the day. All I can tell you is to be patient and keep doing what has been working for you, I recomend that you have a talk with the "unhelpful" care takers and explain that they are confusing your child by letting her wear pull ups vs what you are teaching her at home. Pull ups are not meant to be used as a diaper in the traditional sense but rather a way for the kids to be able to pull them down easily when they need to go and use the toilet, since your daughter knows to go in the toilet without accidents during the day she should not be using pull ups at all.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I recommend putting the pullups on over top of the underwear at any sleep period. This is whether she's two or 4 and wetting the bed.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I recommend those Pull-Ups that feel wet when they do have an accident. They will not leak, but they will be somewhat uncomfortable until they are changed. That is the incentive for them to learn--if they do have an accident, it will feel wet. The beatings are totally unnecessary and unhealthy.

And, if any Witless parent thinks the kids will never have an accident while in service or at the meeting, you are wrong. And I am not talking 2- and 3-year olds, either. If you want your child to pee his or her pants, all you have to do is keep them in service non-stop long enough. I saw a thread here a while ago where a pioneer did this, and the initial bathroom need was ignored too long until the kid peed right on the porch of a householder (good thing the boards had gaps between them). And I have heard of where another child (about 12) peed his pants on his way to the meeting because they were robbed en route to the meeting, and they still went anyway. This is NOT the way to toilet train children!

Expect accidents. But, you can minimize them by providing frequent breaks. Usually once per hour or two will allow fewer accidents, and the ones that still happen will decrease as the child grows older. Ultimately, they will grow out of it. However, a percentage of children will pee the bed even when they get older. Stress may be at fault--some will do this occasionally when going to college or to the Army. Of course, if they go to Beth Hell, there is a percentage of those children that pee the bed once they get there, at least occasionally. This is not necessarily permanent, and mattress pads and other protectors will definitely help.

• shell69
    shell69

As a mother of 4, I would say that inevitabley accidents do happen. One of my four children went of the bed wet for quite some time before he stopped completely.

What I used to do was always 'lift' them when it was time for me to go to bed. The kiddy had already been asleep for a few hours at that point and were very drowsy.

Plonk them on the loo, tell them do 'wee wee's' and pop them back into bed. Theyre so drowsy they go straight back to sleep.

Worked a treat!

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    a way for the kids to be able to pull them down easily when they need to go and use the toilet, since your daughter knows to go in the toilet without accidents during the day she should not be using pull ups at all.

That's what I thought they were made for...mainly to teach them how to pull their undies down and go on their own. She's there with going on her own. She's even there at night time for most of the time and all of the time if you set up a couple of alarms to get her to the potty. She's doing great without diapers/pull-ups but because she has pull-ups somewhere else...she cries for a "diaper" before she goes to bed. I know it's because she's getting them away from home.

I recommend putting the pullups on over top of the underwear at any sleep period. This is whether she's two or 4 and wetting the bed.

I don't know about this because she still sees and "feels" the diaper feeling. I trained my 9 year old son when he was 3 and I didn't use any pull-ups. He was totally trained with-in 6 months. But I didn't have anyone undoing what I was doing. I trained him on my own. It takes a bit of work (like getting up with 2 alarms) but it's much faster not using these crutches in the long run.

Again, she's 100% trained during the day...and about 90% trained for the night. I feel that a person can over use pull-ups. Sometimes I wish they hadn't invented them. My nephew was 6 years old and still using pull-ups. When my sister moved to Texas, my aunt took the pull-ups away from him and he hasn't had a problem since. My sister was a bit lazy not wanting to work with my nephew.

Again, pull-ups are expensive and I can't afford this...maybe I should ask her grandparents to pay for pull-ups here since they are determined to use them there...(lol, j/k, but I feel like asking!!!)

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

What I used to do was always 'lift' them when it was time for me to go to bed. The kiddy had already been asleep for a few hours at that point and were very drowsy.

Plonk them on the loo, tell them do 'wee wee's' and pop them back into bed. Theyre so drowsy they go straight back to sleep.

Worked a treat!

THANK YOU!!!! That is EXACTLY what I've been doing and it works great....I set an alarm (if I go to bed early too) to get her to do her thing. Like you said, she's so drowsy that she falls back to sleep afterwords. If we do have an "accident", it's mainly cause I was lazy and didn't get her to the potty.

My personal feelings is pull-ups (in this case) is just a way to be a bit more lazy.

I just got to figure out how to talk to them to show them that they are undoing what I'm trying to do.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

All of ours had trained themselves. Any attempts at helping were very unwelcome.

We found that so long as they had anything on, they would have an accident every time. So our solution? Let them go commando! Naked from the waist down they started to realize when the urge came and rather than make a mess, would scurry to the bathroom. Once they went, we would lavish praise on them. If they had an accident we would show them the spot and reinforce that they should use the bathroom when they feel the urge.

Our youngest is slowly getting it, but he takes great offense to any help whatsoever. If we catch him going on the toilet and offer praise we are met with a loud "NOOOOO" then the door is quickly closed. He values his privacy I guess.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

FF,

I agree pull-ups are just like diapers. I used the thick training pants and rubber pants with all 3 of my kids. It is a little more messy if the have an accident, but they learn more quickly.

The key to easy potty training is consistancy. If you flip flop they have a hard time remembering!

Keep doing what you are doing, and maybe talk to the grandparents and let them know that she is having a hard time adjusting to what they do vs what you do.

nj

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    I used the thick training pants and rubber pants with all 3 of my kids. It is a little more messy if the have an accident, but they learn more quickly.

Oh, I forgot about those...they are cloth but thicker...right? I do use the rubber pants over her panties sometimes but most times I just put her to bed in her undies and get her up 2 times during the night. She does great as long as I remember to get her up. I'm just having the problem of her crying for a diaper when I put her down for her nap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit