Would you ski if you were pregnant.

by Es 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Hi, if I were coordinated enough to ski in the first place-I would think in the first 3 months I still would. After that, I think the baby is a little less protected by your body as it is larger and also displacing your organs. I have taken some bad spills in my early preg. with 2 of my kids and there were no problems from it. Basically, if you ski, your biggest dangers are to your extremities, I'd think. And when you(baby) are bigger, your balance can be off with a baby. So, the more danger to you-the more to your baby. If you are wanting to be esp. careful, just play in the snow with your little one (didn't you just have her?)

Shelly

PS I just read about the miscarriages. While I think they will happen or not-you probably will err on the side of caution.

Congratulations. Every now and again I am ragingly jealous of pregnant women or new moms. Then I remember there are women my age with grandkids that are my SON's age, and I get over it-mostly. I try to get it all out on my sibs kids and grandkids.

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

I can't get pregnant either....

But I'd advise against it. People don't have a problem until the trees 'jump' out in front of them. It can happen to even experienced skiers. Avoiding a slow skier, trees on both sides, too late to fall down and stop.

But I'm not sure as to the particulars of baby protection in early months. Snow is pretty awesome, even when it ISN'T on a mountain :P . Throw snowballs at people instead, problem solved ;) .

• R.F.
    R.F.

I can't get pregnant of course, but I would definitely advise a person to not ski while pregnant. Way too big a risk.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Would I ski if I was pregnant?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

But then....I wouldn't ski when I was NOT pregnant, so I could be biased!

And no, it is just too much of a risk to take.

hugs,

Annie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

hmmmm where is Scully when we need her?

If I recall correctly any activity that you are used to would be OK. I specifically recall an example of horseback riding that would be OK if you were used to it and in the first trimester.

I think a couple precautions would be important - if there is a history of miscarriage or high risk pregnancy

Ultimately it would be a matter of how you feel about it.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hi Es,

My wife is 14 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I wouldn't want her to ski, I would be terrified that something might happen, and then you would feel so guilty. My mother used to play netball until 8 months and I have always been healthy, so the risk probably isn't that great. However, my wife had a miscarriage about a year ago, so I guess I am a bit more cautious.

• orbison11
    orbison11

congrats on the news.

now for sking,,it is like riding a motorcycle,,you might be the best

but watch out for the others on the road,,remember sonny bono, he hit a tree,,was an avid skier

heres for a fast 9 months

wendy

• Es
    Es

Thanks all its very interesting reading different viewpoints.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Have a fun weekend anyway! We're going to Perisher on Monday, this weekend is our anniversary and we found a cute little mountain cabin near Bega. I've gone and ruined it by catching the flu. Perisher still has full cover but a lot of areas are turning to corn, so Monday is our last chance I reckon. Mr Frass has really gotten into it!

• deeskis
    deeskis

Es, I skied with all my pregnancies. my kids were born in may, march and feb so i was only early on during our ski season with each of them. My main problem was morning sickness not tummy bump!, but exercise seemed to help my morning sickness. I probably wouldn't ski when my belly got in the way of my field of vision, or affected my balance though!!

We also skied with each of the kids in a backpack in remote, uncrowded areas. You can't do that now cause they won't let the backpacks on the chairlifts, but we loved it an had some great family skis with grandparents, cousins and kids/babies.....

They don't call me Deeskis for nothing!

Best wishes

D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit