Fun family study? Tolerable?

by Gopher 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

Was there ever such at thing in JW families, or is this phrase oxymoronic?

Sometimes the meetings encouraged "variety" in family studies, assigning certain research projects to different family members, or setting up a Bible reading as though it were a play.

None of that happened in my family. It was just dry question-and-answer. Except when it came to the "Family Life" book, which yielded embarrassing question-and-answer sessions.

What was your family study like, either as a child or a parent?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

We used to have separate YPA book underlinings as a lad of half my age...that didn't last long, thank goodness.

Currently we underline the Watchtower. If everyone's tired, then we pop in an indoctrination video. It's tolerable, but nothing to look forward to...

• Gopher
    Gopher

SirNose,

I hadn't even thought that a video could pass as family study. That's an easier way to pass an hour than I ever had back in the 70s.

• Heather
    Heather

I have to say that it was torelable in my house. My dad would do the bible reading and we would take turns...he would always stop at a word and we would have to finish it. That way he knew we were paying attention. He would also read the year book and we had a huge world map.... he would give us the name of a city and we had to find it and tell him the lnagitude and longitude of the city...I kinda thought that was fun.. not so studish....

• shell69
    shell69

My dad who was a ms, always used to end up losing his temper, and shouting at us! I think its coz he didnt really belive himself.

Pile of ***t, what a waste of everyones time! Then you get these really 'perfect' demos at the convention of lovely little families, showing us how is should be done!

I sometimes wonder how many of those perfect families are still in the 'truth'?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

The family studies at our house were a big fat fight. I didn't answer right...or was interested, so I would be sent to my room I even remember my dad crying and my mom yelling at me, "I hope your proud of yourself."

Most of the time, it was like a reward/punishment type thing...do the family study without causes problems and you can stay up and watch tv.

Hated family studies...such a waste.

lisa

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

The family study was sporadic at best. I think my dad joined in sometimes, but my main memory is studying the old "Youth" book with my mum. Excruciating. We never did any fun activities. Read the paragraph, answer the question. Read the paragraph, answer the question. Occasionally pressed to express my own thoughts and feelings, responding with the correct answer.

I mean, you would never say what you REALLY thought! What was the point?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

didn't you read my post? You said what you REALLY thought so you'd get sent to your room and no tv.

that was probably just me.

lisa

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

didn't you read my post? You said what you REALLY thought so you'd get sent to your room and no tv.

that was probably just me.

lisa

LOL. Actually, after I posted, I was thinking that when I was a kid, I really did believe it. A combination of desire for parental approval and simply never being presented with an alternative reality kept me believing for a long time. Even so, there was always a gap between how I was supposed to feel and supposed to behave and what actually happened. So, I would never admit that I fancied boys, and the meetings were boring and the ministry was embarrassing.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It was boring as hell and my parents could only keep it up for a short time then we would stop then my parents would feel guilty and start it up again but it never lasted long cuz I think my father would have rather not do it at all and my mother has a short attention span.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit