Fun family study? Tolerable?

by Gopher 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KW13
    KW13

I never really enjoyed it or got anything from it. I found it the most dry and boring thing you could do and failing that, if it was a personal study with someone else it was just indoctrination and then you'd be plagued with guilt after.

• OpenThe3rdEye
    OpenThe3rdEye

WHAT? THERE IS A WAY TO HAVE A NONE VIOLENT FAMILY STUDY? When I was young I was def not aware of that. I hate to think back but I can remember many severe beatings to not want to read the bible, as my step mom would command me to. So my dad would come over from the BOOBIE TOOBIE and beat the shit out of me till I started reading some damn bible and start answering some damn questions. Yea I wish I could of been born 18 so that way I could of just skipped childhood, because I mean when your a JW you do not get to have a child hood anyway, so could not they just let you ffw?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Apparently there were at least these 3 types of family studies --

Sporadic

Regular and very boring

Abusive

Yes, the family study, a fine provision from Jehovah.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    WHAT? THERE IS A WAY TO HAVE A NONE VIOLENT FAMILY STUDY?

It usually ended with one of us getting a whipping with a belt, because we did not show enough respect, or we didn't answer properly, or we held our book wrong, or we did not have the right expression on our face. (seriously)

Stepdad saw anything and everything as a "bad attitude". Then the leather belt would come off, and he would fold it in half with some slack and then quickly pull it taunt so that the two haves would make a slapping sound as they came together. He would be standing there going snap snap snap with the belt while he told us to bend over.

No, it was never fun.

• KW13
    KW13
    Stepdad saw anything and everything as a "bad attitude".

pretty much the same and probably like you, it wasnt just bible study time either...mine used to push me around and hit me.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I HATED the family study, I was raised an only child and my parents were older and boring!

Older boring JW parents + boring JW literature = 1 miserable kid.

• Open mind
    Open mind

My siblings and I sometimes developed a very warped sense of "fun". Every now and then we'd try to see how L O N G we could make the study. You know, side questions,tangents, hypotheticals. I think our record was probably 3 hours.

Now we all run very successful S&M parlors. I wonder why?

Open Mind

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    What was your family study like, either as a child or a parent?

If i can recall that far back, we didnt do it much.........and as a parent? Not at all, I didnt raise my kids in the borg........hmm, all they know is that i taught them there was a god.

• FlipThis
    FlipThis

haha..

ya, I remember annoying the living shit out of my dad when it was my turn to read, pausing about 3-5 seconds between each word...

and 1-2-3-4-5 Johober 1-2-3-4-5 killed 1-2-3-4-5 some 1-2-3-4-5 more 1-2-3-4-5 bad 1-2-3-4-5 peoples 1-2-3-4-5 cuz 1-2-3-4-5 they 1-2-3-4-5 pissed 1-2-3-4-5 him 1-2-3-4-5 off...

he'd turn beat red with anger...

Then we'd have to hear "You should feel fortunate to be a witless. When your dad and I grew up, we didn't have that priviledge!"

"priviledge'

Until recently I thought that word meant 'Torture'

• Gopher
    Gopher

Torture and family study are both a form of restraint.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit