Would you marry someone....

by Thinking of Leaving 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Thank you PEC for posting that warning. I was going to say something as well. There is currently an investigation under way in Chicago involving a few scams and unsuspecting people missing money.

2 things - 1 ... I get canker sores when I am stressed and/or very tired. I have been told that this is common because your body's immune system is at its lowest/weakest and thus any hidden virus will rear its ugly head. Herpes is very common. As was pointed out chicken pox is a form of herpes. Once you have it, it is in your system for good.

2 - my cat has herpes and I give him lysine (sp?) every day. The vitamin supplement is also helpful in humans.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i get them when i get sunburned. for some reason, this is the only thing that triggers it.

• BrentR
    BrentR

The "doctor" that runs quackwatch is a blatant liar and has been sued countless times for slander and misrepresentation. Look it up.

Cold sores are an external indicator of your immune system. People that have them should be concerned why thier immune system is not working adequately. Stress, lack of sleep and deficient nutrients are the most common causes of a lowered immmune system. A naturpathic physician would be treating the immune system and not an indicator condition. I have the same problem with eczema and stress and lack of sleep will always fire it up.

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/supplements/a/ColdSores.htm

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

There are several topical ointments that can be recommended by your local pharmacist which can lessen the duration of the sores themselves and ease the pain.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've never had a cold sore but I do get fever blisters which are cause by the same herpes virus. First time I had a flare up was when I was 24, I had just arrived in Miami to board a cruise. I think it had to do with the heat and humidity. It was horrible, my lips were swollen, weepy, and painful. Had a few flare up after that, especially under stress. But now it's been a while since I've had them, like close to 15 years. Don't know why it's in remission, I have lots of stress and moved to a hot and humid climate.

Oh and my hubby knew about it before he married me...he didn't care.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There is a difference between a canker sore and a cold sore. A canker sore is caused by an irritation, often aggravated by stress and usually happens inside the mouth. These cannot be spread to another person. A cold sore usually happens outside the mouth, often on the lips, and is caused by the herpes virus. These can in fact be spread to others. And treatment is different for each type of sore.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Treatments for cold sores:

Aciclovir (or acyclovir) cream - This is available without a prescription in the UK. The main brand name is Zovirax, but there are also generic versions which are cheaper. Application of the cream at the "tingle" stage can stop the sore developing. At worst, the sore clears up much quicker. Talk to your pharmacist. http://www.zoviraxcream.com/pdf/ZovrxCream.pdf

Compeed, who make foot blister treatments, have launched a patch to apply to cold sores on the lips. It seals the area, makes the sore less unsightly, and is claimed to speed the healing process. It doesn't have any active ingredients, and you can't use cream with it because it wouldn't stick to the lip. I don't know if it is available in the US.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Sure, why not. If I loved that person, we would work through it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A word of warning about treating medical conditions via a forum: No forum can replace a doctor visit, natural or allopathic. Any suggested treatment on this or any forum should be researched by anyone that attempts to use them, preferably from multiple sources. If you have a definite diagnosis, then do the research on that disorder or treatment before starting (except for emergencies where you need immediate treatment).

Now, back to the thread. Someone with herpes type cold sores (or the other type of herpes) is not contagious between outbreaks. There are ways to keep those outbreaks to a minimum, both with medcation and with alternate treatments, and often with both. And, since the disease (at least herpes type 1) is often spread by relatives kissing during childhood, it is very common and if you already have it, you probably will not be able to get it any worse. However, you can get the type 2 version if you have type 1 (there are multiple strains). But, this would not be sufficient cause to call off a wedding, since there are ways to prevent transmission.

However, if the person was dishonest about how they got it, that would be a different problem. A person with a promiscuous past that is willing to come forth about it is much better than one who goes to great lengths to conceal it or lie about it. To me, honesty and integrity mean more than a temporary blemish that will be gone in a couple of weeks.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Yeah as hot as that sounds, no.

When my brother was an infant, a thoughtless individual infected with cold sores, known to some as a cousin, kissed him on the mouth. His entire mouth broke out, with the crusty bloody gums and all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit