Active Elders who post on JWD

by Honesty 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

Perhaps tijkmo, a better illustration would be, "A good commander picks his battlefield."

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Even if you DA or are df'd, some family members will still have hope and "encourage" you, as will some elders.

Can't wait for that....

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

When I first started posting here I was an active Elder. I had just come to the realisation that I would need to leave the WTS but had no plan and very little information. It got harder and harder to give talks and my "Ministry" became more and more about encouraging householders than placing literature, hence I spent far more time on my own (which as a Book Study Conductor wasn't that hard to arrange).

I have nothing but sympathy for those who tread the [sharp] wire of trying to keep their family together and perhaps influence them. I certainly found myself unable to do it, which is why I DAed less than six months later...

• Quandry
    Quandry

If they have a wife and kids in the organization, screw 'em. Cast off your family like a snake sheds it's skin.

Ooooooh, harsh. Sounds like disfellowshipping.

I think that there are some very sincere people in the borg. I know that I was. I would never have looked at anyone picketing with signs or read "apostate literature" but would have likely listened to reasoning from an elder whom I admired. There may be opportunity down the road for those still "in" to help not only their family, but others, to think for themselves.

If you are an active elder, don't be disheartened by all the negative comments. You must decide for yourself how to proceed. And I for one am glad to have you with us on this forum.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

jgnat has a great point

It is these elders and other nominal JW's that the society is most afraid of.

Why do you think the WTS conductor has been instructed to not include outside research, the flock has been told to not do research outside the WT and the PT has been reduced to 30min with the same outlines? They know there are more than a few elders and others who have serious doubts or completely do not believe anymore. And, it scares them as well it should. I think the crackdown will serve to push more out or at least force them to abandon their positions of authority.

Gary1914, I can relate to what you are going through. When I started posting (was lurking for quite a while before) I too was an active elder. I used wesel words when giving talks (gee I wonder where I learned that particular skill?) and slacked off quite a bit in FS & meetings. However, the final straw for me came when they tried to give me a book study (I had one previously but had moved). I just could not bring myself to conduct that awful, insane Revelation climax book. PLUS (and I think this is the real reason) I had a reason that seemed legitimate to both the local elders and the WTS. That's something else that we should understand about these guys that are still elders. If they step aside, the questioning will be very intense (more so than a publisher would get if they skip meetings and service). A letter goes to the WTS with the stated reasons. If you express doubts (although OTWO did that and he hasn't faced the firing squad yet) you will more than likely get more attention than you would ever want.

I do think these active elders serve a vital link in helping the cults demise. They leak information, discourage loyalty in their local congregations in subtle ways and are difficult to ferret out. Make no mistake, the WTS holds its elders in extremely low opinion and in my opinion would love to figure out a way to replace them with a congregation servant whose loyalty is above question.

To all those guys currently elders, there will probably come a time when you can't stomach it anymore. In the meantime, your insight into what the WTS is up to is appreciated.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Some JWs are in the unfortunate position of not being able to leave openly because that would destroy their families due to the ruthless shunning policy of the FDS, divorce, loss of communication with shunning children or parents and long time friends. All they can do is step down as elders or remain in that position and try and to minimise the harm done by the FDS.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

BFD and Quandry,

Para's comments were tongue in cheek - sarcasm - and not meant to be taken literally!

S4

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I declined eldership twice over the last five years. Still an active MS though. I suppose I qualify to answer this post.

My direction is hoping for JW reform in some way, shape or form. I believe it will happen. History will and does repeat itself. Somewhat like what happened with the Bible Students who had the JWs branch off from them in the early 20th century. Gary Buss painted the picture (in words of course) of the Watchtower Witnesses and the Jehovah's Witnesses. Yes, I do see it happening one day.

I believe many of the core teachings, such as non-Trinity, no hellfire, no immortal soul, paradise in both heaven and earth...etc. However, I don't entertain the other so-called "understandings", especially in regards to speculative theories the WTS constantly changes with over time. Those doctrines I avoid. I don't force anyone to believe those "understandings" and neither will anybody force me to believe what I don't want to. I pick and choose my material for talks to present to the congregation. There hasn't been any problems with the elder body nor the CO in this regard. I personally think they envy me because of the freedom I have. My hands aren't tied up like theirs with organizational policy and procedure.

I do go out in FS. I do so out of my own willingness. I strictly use the Bible to offer hope and encouragement. I don't not focus on debating. If I want to offer any literature in order to leave a thought, it may be a tract. Probably the one on "Who is Jehovah?", "Who is Jesus Christ?" or "Would you like to know more about the Bible?". Something simple to stimulate interest or to stir up questions for returning. My ministry is simple, but heartfelt.

Jehovah is my God. Jesus is my Master and the Head of the congregation. NOT THE WTS.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    That's something else that we should understand about these guys that are still elders. If they step aside, the questioning will be very intense (more so than a publisher would get if they skip meetings and service).

True, Doubting Bro.

I had to attempt to "step down" 3 or 4 times before they accepted it.

I avoided the "firing squad" because I moved congregations( back to English) before the next CO's visit.

BFD and Quandry,

Para's comments were tongue in cheek - sarcasm - and not meant to be taken literally!

S4
    Due To Our Former JW Life, Are Some Ex-JWs Forever Humor-Impaired

Do we sometimes suffer from literal-mindedness?

Is there a cure?

LOL!

• Quandry
    Quandry

Seeker 4,

Thanks!! I guess I didn't get it.

Quandry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit