Active Elders who post on JWD

by Honesty 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• minimus
    minimus

There comes a point where most of us can't take living the double life any longer. You lose your spirit. When you KNOW it's bullsh*t, it's harder to make believe all is wonderful. When someone has a devout family still in, the "hypocrite" has to now look at what the possibilities might be for defecting. It may not be worth it at the moment. For some, it may never be worth leaving unless they want to live their lives totally alone.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I find the judgmentalism shown by some here to be irresponsible and counterproductive.

Most disheartening!

If I had been attacked like that, I may have been discouraged to the point of going back.

I'm glad to have the likes of Para and Bobbi and Open mind here.

Thrilled in fact.

There are many more like them.

It was easier for me because I stepped down while lurking.

I could never bring myself to post here while still an elder.

These people have shown a courage and mental toughness that I'll never have.

We, the vast majority of us, love you!

• FlipThis
    FlipThis

unfortunately, there may be similar reasons to why a woman might stay with their abusive husband (or vice-versa).

They're told for so long that they can't find anyone else, no one would want them, they're brainwashed, used and abused.

It's very difficult for many, I'm sure.

The reality is that no-one can keep their children from them; and the kids are probably the biggest reason for staying in....

(although the children themselves can cut ties; the part that really sucks I'm sure.)

• FlipThis
    FlipThis

I'd wonder what happens when you're an Elder, posting here; not believing their crap, etc etc etc...

and then an apostasy case comes up?

• Open mind
    Open mind

For the benefit of any active JW lurkers, here's my rough, open to debate, tally of individual posters on this thread so far.

Openly critical of non-believing elders:

2 (at the start)

1 now. I'm counting Changeling as switching to the middle ground.

Middle ground (maybe can't see themselves doing it but not overtly critical either. Or, didn't actually say one way or the other)

Was 6, now 7.

Supportive and/or empathetic towards non-believing elders:

I thank all who have made supportive comments and would ask still-active lurkers to take note of the overall nurturing climate here.

As for Honesty, hey, I STRONGLY support your right to call it like you see it. I thank you for doing that. If the numbers were reversed, I'd probably just go back to lurking out of respect for the prevailing sensibilities of the place.

Respectfully,

Open Mind

• changeling
    changeling

I too am glad for everyone's input on this board, including active elders. I have in no way advocated for anyone to leave the org. before they are ready and certainly not at the expense of their familiy. I have faded and not DA'd because of fear of losing dear ones.

However, the point I was making was: an elder CAN step aside and STILL stay "in" to keep family happy. Yes, it may be difficult to explain, but it CAN be done. I've seen it done may times. It's always a jolt when an elder steps aside, but people get over it.

I still honestly don't understand how elders can sit on JC's like the ridiculous ones Gary1914 mentioned, knowing the reasons are ridiculous (masturbation for goodness sake!). Even if they cast the mercy vote, they are still party to the system!

I will post no further comments on this thread. I do not stand in judgement of anyone. I'm pretty good at seeing the other side in most cases. But on this issue: I just don't get it.

changeling

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    If the numbers were reversed, I'd probably just go back to lurking out of respect for the prevailing sensibilities of the place.

To hell with that!

We all have to stick together!

Since when does the majority know what it's talking about?

Just look at the Governing Body! LMAO!

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

wow....

every person has to make the decision that is right for them and their set of circumstances.

I remember when I was trying to figure out what to do once I realized that the truth was not the truth. I decided, that I would fade. Admittedly, I could have done much better The months that I was in, not beleiving, I did it for one reason....I didn't want to lose my family. I knew that they would shun me. Losing my family, losing my friends has been one of the most difficult things in the world to deal with.

I also remember that when an elder stepped down and an anouncement was made, there was an eery silence in the congregation like "Woe, what happened?"

Stepping down, indicates there is a problem, either in the home or with an individual. It raises eyebrows.

If any one of our friends on jwd who live a life as an elder were to step down, he would more then likely have to have a really good reason why to avoid suspicion from family and close friends and the rest of the elders.

They have to do what is going to be best for them and for their loved ones and neither myself nor any of us can say what that is.

to the active jw's on the board still figuring it out, be you elder, ms or pub

• Open mind
    Open mind

We all have to stick together!

Since when does the majority know what it's talking about?

I think that's the longest oxymoron I've ever read.

I'm sure your tongue was mainly in your cheek Nvr, but that fact that we DON'T have to stick together is what I love about JWD.

Love you bro.

Open Mind

• BFD
    BFD

((((((Open Mind))))))

How did you know it was you I was thinking about while typing my rant on the first page of this thread? I am glad you are here even if we don't always agree.

Nvr- great observation! lol

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit