by Legolas 43 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

when i really think if aliens have been here

mostly what comes to my mind

is how stupid we must look to them

• John Doe
    John Doe

Why would we look stupid? I'm very proud of what humankind has accomplished.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I'm sure I saw a couple of their advance guard at Wal-Mart Saturday.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Why would we look stupid? I'm very proud of what humankind has accomplished.

I believe that coming from you.

Why do you think I would say that?

purps

• fedorE
  • changeling
    changeling

Seriously guys: Mexico has an airforce? News to me...

changeling

• jaredg
    jaredg

that story is 3 years old

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

While it seems likely to me that there is other intelligent life in the universe, it seems unlikely that we'd ever meet them.

They'd be on a planet circling a star that's many light years away from us. (The two dozen stars closest to us are from 4 to 12 light-years away). We've only been creating radiowaves for 100 years or so, so they'd have to be within 100 light years to even know we exist. That's a pretty small circle, universe-wise. Reduce that circle further to allow them time to come visit us after realizing we're here.

Then they'd have to have the means and desire to visit us, while at the same time NOT having the means or desire to contact us thru speed-of-light methods such as radio or laser.

Of course, maybe they don't live on a planet at all. Maybe they developed in the vacuum of space. Maybe there are bazillions of them throughout the galaxy and they couldn't help but bump into us. Maybe they've been trying to communicate and we haven't been listening correctly. Lots of maybe's, lots of possibilities.

It seems unlikely to me, but impossible to rule out.

Dave

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Our species is so young, immature and selfish that I don't think any aliens would want to meet us yet. If they know of our existence, they're most likely waiting for some big changes.

300 years ago, we didn't even know all the continents on our planet. The majority of humans believe an invisible man in the sky made everything and/or controls our fate. We still fight each other on a daily basis. Most of us are too concerned about our tiny insignificant (in terms of galactic events) lives to ever see the big picture.

Once our species grows up, then we may be worth contacting. Right now, I'd be too embarrased.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I believe that coming from you.

Why do you think I would say that?

purps

I think you would say that because you were once part of a thought controlling environment that made taking pride in our accomplishments or even acknowledging them taboo. The in vogue thing to do is harp on our defeats and belittle our greatest works and think we're enlightened if we badmouth our race and call ourselves "stupid."

If aliens were to observe us, I don't think they would laugh or think we're stupid. They would be observing to learn and understand--otherwise they wouldn't be space travelers in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit