Does Someone's Religion Matter To You?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I could care less, as long as they keep it to themselvs.

• agapa37
    agapa37

No a persons religion does not matter to me.

• changeling
    changeling

Strong religious beliefs color the way a person thinks. If a person is deeply religious and in a position to exert power over others we should pay attention to his beliefs.

changeling

• Terry
    Terry

I would term it differently. I'd ask the question like this:

Does it matter to you if someone is irrational?

Now, that puts a proper perspective on it.

If I know I am dealing with a person who imagines things and pretends they are real I will certainly be wary of becoming friends with them.

Why? Because they will not deal with reality. Because they will put unreality ahead of friendship and blood relations. Because they will see what isn't there and insist

they fit into a grand drama that may include my demise!

I run into this all the time. People smile and are friendly. People are nice, courteous and pleasant. Then, the subject of religion comes up and they immediately divide up the world into those deserving death at the hands of a supernatural friend of theirs and folks who agree with them. Still smiling all th while!

Religious people have a crack in their foundation. They have bald tires and drive like a bat out of hell through life. I won't be a passenger next to them!

You cannot reason with unreasonableness.

You cannot expect loyalty out of delusional vassals of the sky slavemaster.

I have these people as customers. I hear them talking in the religious section.

A very sweet old lady and her husband where browsing in Theology a couple of days ago (in the bookstore where I work). They were so nice! Friendly and happy and pleasant to be around. As they were leaving the lady glances down at the bottom shelf in the Judaism section and sees the shelf marked KABALA.

She snorted to her husband, "Look at that worthless crap! I feel sorry for anybody who wastes their time on it!" It was a momentary vicious aside with a facial expression that was scary.

It made me shudder. Why? Deep inside of her there was a core of festering hatred that was placed there by her religion. She had undoubtedly never even read anything about the Kabala nor knew what it was, yet; she despised it and all who had interest in it.

Would I want to be friends with her? No. Sorry. After all, when would she turn on me?

I think of all the wonderful JW friends I called Brother so and so and Sister so and so who cut me dead the second they found out I was disfellowshipped!

Let me tell you a story...

When I was about 14 years old I became best friends with a Jw named Johnny. I spent lots of time at his house and ended up being dragged to the Kingdom Hall with his family. Over a period of about 5 years I was absorbed into the religion cell by cell. I didn't particularly care one way or the other about Johnny's religion because the people at the Kingdom Hall were so very nice to me! They cared! They loved me! I could really tell they loved me!

Fast forward. I met this family called the Smith family and the mother was gorgeous and intelligent and artistic. She had three of the most beautiful daughters imaginable! Johnny and I spent a lot of time with them...naturally!

I formed a very close friendship with one of the daughters. Her name was Debbie. We talked on the phone, hung out together, wrote poetry and discussed all the important things in life.

Never lovers or anything serious; just great friends. And...we were brother and sister in the faith. We loved and trusted each other and cherished our friendship.

I moved to California and we didn't see each other for ten years. She married out of the Truth and had kids and moved to Kansas City.

I married in the Truth (Johnny's sister) and had kids. At the end of the 10th year I was disfellowshipped and moved back to Texas. She was back in Texas visiting her mom.

I went by to see her mother and Debbie came in and ran over and hugged me like we'd never been apart. It was wonderful!!

Ten minutes later she wouldn't look at me!! She wouldn't talk to me!!! She ignored me and treated me like I was last Saturday's garbage!!! All in the space of ten minutes.

Why? Because her mother mentioned to her causually (it didn't mean anything to her mom!) that I'd been disfellowshipped.

Right on the spot I was dead to her.

That, my friends, is the destruction of a beautiful friendship which is totally destroyed, wasted and expunged.

Why?

BECAUSE OF RELIGION!!

I rest my case.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Yes, it does arouse some concern that Billions of people worship as the "most high" exemplar of morals and behaviour a divisive and psychopathic deity which lavishly destroys and kills.

Makes for a pretty crazy and dangerous world.

j

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Much of what I think about it has been covered by those who believe the religion of a person matters.

On the subject of celebrities, while their beliefs don't affect me, it bothers me to know things like Tom Cruise may be brainwashing his children to believe in such rubbish. Look how the cult of Mormon grew- by being passed down through the family line. In 100 years, there may be people in places of power who believe aliens are involved with our fate.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

but, with mitt romney running for president, he can affect your life. i don't think he would, but, he is in a position to instill a bit of mormon values on us.

I couldn't agree more.

It's bad enough having to wear a white shirt and tie in service let alone having to do it riding a bike and wearing a backpack.

Rub a Dub

• minimus
    minimus

Extremism and being irrational is never good.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

The world will be a better place when faith is replaced by earnest investigation of reality.

Such a transformation cannot and should not be forced.

Education is making it happen, ever so slowly.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Generally, no, not at all.

Lawmakers/politicians-yes. Very much so. It's sad there will not exist a US president who is non-religious, let alone athiest. What's pathetic is watching democrats up their 'christian' presence to gain popularity. Just let it go, geesh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit