Does Someone's Religion Matter To You?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Lonely Sheep, Why is it sad???

• Sassy
    Sassy
    Do you care if Tom Cruise is a Scientologist? Or that Mitt Romney is a Mormon? Or that a person is either a very devout Muslim or a card carrying Communist?

well.. for the most part no..

although as I hear about the Scientologists.. how they seem to be very controlling (like the dubs) in their relationships.. who they allow as their friends.. I think that bothers me.. I hate anything cultish..

as far as other religions? no.. I don't really care if someone is a Catholic.. or athiest.. or mulim..

I probably wouldn't date an athiest or a muslim.. Christmas means too much to me.. but for friends, I don't care what they are..

Just dont' shove religion down my throat..

• minimus
    minimus

When Ronald Reagan became president, he became the champion of the "Religious Right" and now a Republican has to be a conservative very religious person or forget getting elected thru the party.

• JK666
    JK666

I care if they are cannibals and are hungry. JK

• minimus
    minimus

There are a lot of hungry religious cannibals.

• JK666
    JK666

Amen minimus! JK

• undercover
    undercover
    Do you care if Tom Cruise is a Scientologist? Or that Mitt Romney is a Mormon? Or that a person is either a very devout Muslim or a card carrying Communist?

I haven't read all the replys yet, so I may be repeating someone else's thoughts...

I don't care that Tom Cruise is a Scientologist. He's in the entertainment industry. If he makes a good movie, I'll go see it and hopefully enjoy it. His religion doesn't matter. If he makes a movie about becoming a Scientologist, I'll not go see it. Kind of like Travolta and that sorry ass alien/space movie

Mitt Romney on the other hand is representing people as a representative in government. As long as his religion does not get in the way of his representing the majority of his constituency then I'm okay with his being a Mormon. If, however, he was to allow his beliefs as a Mormon dictate in too many ways how to run his office, then it would matter to me.

As for everyday people, as long as they don't wear their religion on their sleeve, so to speak, trying to convince others of their holiness, then I don't really care what role religion plays in their life.

My next door neighbor is a preacher, has his own church but never forces his beliefs on others. He has not once ever brought up religion in any of our conversations (I'm not even sure what denomination it is). We get along fine and he doesn't expect any more from me than I from him. On the other hand, I work with a guy who is a "born again" preacher and goes around asking if people have "found Jesus" and telling them how they need to allow Jesus into their lives. He's a pain in the ass. I don't need a sermon from him everytime I see him.

I know a couple of Buddhists. If you ask them about it, they'll tell you. If you didn't already know, you would never guess it. They don't advertise it nor proselytize about it.

It is bothersome, on the world stage, that fundamentalist groups seem to attract all the nutjobs. Radical Muslims going around blowing shit up. Fundie Christians in this country protesting (to the point of being violent) abortion clinics, gay marriage and even military funerals. An idiot U.S. President who thinks God is using him to carry out His work and cannot be reasoned with because of his irrational faith.

• minimus
    minimus

Can you imagine if JWs were able to run for political office???

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Everyone - and I do mean EVERYONE - carries personal, or religious, or political ideologies with them in life, don't they?

Religious zealots CAN be dangerous. Political zealots CAN be dangerous. Personal crusaders CAN be dangerous. But most are not. There is, IMHO, far too many persons willing to strap the badge of zealotry on everyone who creates a danger to THIER perception of right and wrong.

This is not to say that such extremist - either left or right, dem or republican, religious or not - do not spell danger in some respects. They can and they do. They always have. Sometimes - perhaps more often than not - it is the reaction to such extreme position that does more damage than the extreme position itself. Pendulums tend to swing too far both ways.

High control governments that 'ban' or 'control' every ideology that moves against 'state objectives' have been the most damamging to society in general in this century. Eg Communist Russia, Cambodia, China, and the various purges that have occured there. A large population of extreme positions exist in 'free countries', and freedom continues to rule there. I think it preferable to the alternative.

I step aside now before I loose my head by machine gun fire.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit