Santa Clause, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy...

by changeling 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

They're not real? . . . I'm sick, just sick to hear it!

bwah hah bwahh bawl!

BTW, the greatest pleasures in my life have included celebrating my daughter's birthdays, and observing pagan holidays with her.

I also gleefully take a deep, perverse pleasure in knowing that I have brought into the world a darling atheist daughter who seems only able to date atheist boys, hahahaha (meniachal laughter). Take that, Watchtower Society!

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

Madame Quixote...

How old would this daughter of yours be? :P

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

My daddy dresses up lik Sana Cause and my Mummy dresss up lik the Easter Bunnny every night when they ar in they bedroom with the door locked and I always here laughter and squeals and lots of YES,YES and all kinds of fun stuf lik that so I really do beelieve in Sana Clause and the eASTER bUNNY. They are really real.

LOVE,

Timmy

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts

Whats worse is that many of these ones that claim to reject the toothfairy, Santa, Leprechauns, etc,...will fight tooth and nail to preserve their own myth,..namely the existance of Gods.

"But But But,...the tooth fairy IS false...MY God is real!!"

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Since I grew up without the those fantasy characters in my life, I've had fun making up traditions for my children and grandchildren.

One that we have made up is ...about the Tooth Fairy. With my granddauther first lost tooth, we put a two dollar bill under my her pillow. She was so excited and said she KNEW the tooth fairy had to be real. Because we didn't have two dollar bills.

lisa

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

So, I wonder, have you ever met an adult who was messed up because of having found out that Santa Clause and friends were not real? Are therapist's couches everywhere filled with these poor souls?

Uhhhm...nope, never.

On the other hand, have you ever met a screwed up witness kid or a person raised as a witness who needs therapy (changeling raises her hand)?

Hell yes....me included.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I maintain that fantasy is essential to a child's development. There's a wonderful treat that comes with language; we can create an entire world in our heads, without any of it becoming real. Once pre-school children catch on to this, their mind catches fire with complexity.

Listen to a toddler's play-talk some time, "And mommy will pick me up and we will stop at McDonald's and I get to pick out a Happy Meal and then we will go back in the car and drive to the STORE to get ice-cream and then we will go HOME and we will watch TV until daddy comes home and he will tickle me and I am a good boy and then it will be Time to Go to Bed but I have to brush my teeth first don't forget to wash your hands TEDDY is on my bed." The toddler is rehearsing a future event. I can't tell you how important this is to human development. Without it, language is merely a series of commands with no forethought, like we use with a trained animal "Sit here", "Eat this." I've read tragic stories of deaf children who missed those early development years, and language is NO playground for them. They cannot plan. They cannot anticipate.

So how does fantasy play in to this? Somewhere between the ages of two and three, the child starts to distinguish between a manufactured reality from words, and the real thing. The fantasy plays vivid within their own minds. And to think, this is done with words alone. The child delights in rehearsing the story in their minds, and even makes up his own fantasies and plays them out in his head. So when we see the child dancing around Santa Claus, or asking if the Tooth Fairy will remember, they know deep down that this is a temporary bridge to the fantasy world. We are giving them a few moments of delight.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

OMG! Lisavegas! I absolutely love that!!!!! What could be more darling?
    For our daughter (1st child) thank god we were already distancing ourselves from the JW's when she was losing her teeth. Unfortunately I don't think we did the tooth fairy with her first one or two teeth, but by the third--- she put a little lipstick case (the kind with a mirror that snaps closed) under her pillow. I put a dollar or twos worth of quarters in it, and put two little glitter makeup marks on the outside of the case to look like the tooth fairy left handprints from opening the case. She was so excited and sure the tooth fairy had come! What a baby angel!
    Last year was the first christmas. She was 7 and our son was 5, still young enough to believe. They put out reindeer food (oatmeal and glitter on the lawn to attract the reindeer that our son had made in his Pre-K class) and carrots by the fireplace. Our daughter even left Santa a note on the chair.
    The Easter Bunny had to "find" our kids in a hotel this last Easter. We were traveling and they were ecstatic with their baskets and the little guy said he knew the bunny would find him. That was their second Easter.
    I love holidays!!!! Thanks for the thread changling! I have to say, if it wasn't for my grandparents and my dad celebrating when I was young and giving me great memories, we would be a such a loss on how to celebrate. Hubby has never had any celebrations until now. I am so glad we can give these to our kids. I only wish my husband could have a memory to draw upon. (He got an Easter Basket too his first Easter! I made sure of that!) I am already singing christmas songs and thinking of presents! The Hallmark store has it ornaments out and we have been looking! I am so happy to have these traditions being established in our home!
    Kitten Whiskers

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Thank you for bringing back a great memory I had forgotten - when I lost my teeth, not only did I get some money from the tooth fairy, I got a long letter telling me how much he/she appreciatedit and what the fairies were going to use it for - building castles, etc. You won't believe it but my dad - I think he was an elder at the time - was the one that wrote the letters! LOL. Now I know why I was able to brek free from this cult and why I don't feel guilty about the future with my children and the fantasy world they will believe in for a time. I don't remember being upset to learn the tooth fairy wasn't real, just thought it hilarious that my dad had written the letters - what a cool dad, shame it didn't extend to Father Christmas or the Easter Bunny......

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

OOOhhh...I got another story about the tooth fairy. My s-i-l's daughter lost one of her teeth while they were on vacation. We were all drinking and partying and completely forgot about the tooth.

The next morning the little girl came in the room and was so upset. She said..."Well that proves it. Tooth Fairy must be real, 'cause I know my parents would have never forgotten"

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit