If The Watchtower Decided To Show Love, Their Numbers Would Rise

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

That's what I think. They just don't get it! There's no sense of contentment and joy and happiness within the ranks of Jehovah's Witnesses. People are miserable. Depressed. Physically ill. Mentally too. But why???? It's because they never end up making people feel good. They never feel you're doing enough. They use guilt and intimidation to coerce their followers to "encourage", make them do whatever they require.

Instead of following Christian principles, they revert back to the Old Testament Judeo tradition. The religion is all about rules, regulations, sub-rules and asterisks**. It's about punishments and carrot sticks. If you do what we tell you to do, you'll get blessings. If you do fail to get blessings, it's because you're not worthy of them, evidently. Maybe you're just not doing enough! Do more! Do more! Or else Jehovah God will not bless you.

Instead of beating down the brothers at every opportunity, show a little love like "The Christ" did. But they can't because love is not their identifying mark. That's a simple truth. People wouldn't sneak if they felt "the love". Instead, you've got fearful JWs everywhere hoping they're not going to be told that they committed another infraction......If only they could show real love.

• JH
    JH

I was telling this to someone this morning, and it's true.

If they didn't shun people who leave the Org, more would come back, I'm sure.

Jesus even said to love your enemies....

Love is what the true religion should be about.

• minimus
    minimus

The Russellites seemed to have a real brotherhood. When Rutherford took over, it went downhill.

• seek2find
    seek2find

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

The above words are from 1 Cor. 13 and they do not describe life in the orginization. Good post Minimus!

• minimus
    minimus

It's much easier to show love than to to be unkind or be demanding. Persons are drawn to those that treat them kindly.

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm locked out from posting my latest Questions From Readers. I have to wait another day before I start a new topic. Can't somebody talk to the admin for me??!!

• willyloman
    willyloman

Min: Good point. I have often thought - even though I don't think WT reform is possible without a sea change - that they are "this close" to becoming an organization that could thrive and grow beyond their wildest dreams. I mean, they already have millions of loyalists who want "the truth" to really be the Truth. All they need to do is make a handful of changes, couch it all as "new light," and the dubs would start spreading the word. Growth would ensue.

Much has been written about the potential for future "mainstreaming" by the JWs. I think it is inevitable if they are to survive long into the future, but I also think any such reform is way down the road.

These simple "adjustments" would solve most of their problems:

1. Hurry up and complete the process they've aready started in terms of making blood transfusions strictly a conscience matter with no penalties actual or implied.

2. Review the whole holiday thing and start putting some of them (birthdays, Mothers' and Father's days, Thanksgiving in the U.S.) into the "approved" basket.

3. Change field service to "community service" and create a laundry list of alternatives. That way those who think of themselves as missionaries can still go door to door, but others can get the same credit (hours) for cleaning the Kingdom Hall, visiting sick "friends," preparing meals for the elderly or ill, or otherwise creating and implementing a dub "aid society," or any number of community volunteer works - which would get them out into the community in a real service role.

4. Fold the book study into one of the other meetings so they only have to meet twice a week instead of three times; designate the "off" night as family study night or personal study night.

5. Make voting an acceptable option for dubs (but don't get involved in politics as an organization).

6. Form a committee at Brooklyn and have them review all the WT doctrines from the beginning and publish a "What We Now Believe" manual and educate all the followers so they are on the same page. (This could be accomplished in more subtle fashion through the WT study). Use this opportunity to part company with the founders and some of their bizarre beliefs (some of which are still held dear by old timers) and to marginalize the wingnuts who pervade the organization.

7. Encourage large social gatherings, baseball games, talent shows and other group recreational outlets so dubs can enjoy "normal" assocation with one another.

There are probably more than these 7, but that would be a start. Imagine the change this would make in dubdom! It would become what most of the members really want it to be, a social club that just happens to have a direct pipeline to Jehovah God (in their view).

But, as I said, this will never happen in my lifetime. That's why I left the organization.

• seek2find
    seek2find

Oh, I forgot to add something. Paul said about love ...it keeps no record of wrongs. How does that corespond to all those forms in the file in new york labeled, "Do not destroy" seek2find

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

wow - if they even did a couple of those things, life would change in the org. But the major change would have to be admitting that Armageddon is NOT around the corner, that the purpose of religion is to help people live more noble lives, and that everyone is going to die.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I'm not sure that their numbers would rise that much - their
    doctrines wouldn't be any more true if their attitude changed.

However, a more relaxed attitude, with less rules and regulations
    might mean that less jws examine the watchtower doctrines
    and leave through that.

It isn't going to happen anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit