?Please explain Evolution to me in simple terms

by Guest with Questions 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Once again, a perfectly innocent and sincere question turns into an insult fest.

LOL!

See why TV doesn't do it for me anymore?

LOL!

• RAF
    RAF

RAF, from where did you learn that humans are genetically closer to pigs than to hominids? I've only ever heard that pig insulin can be made very identical to human insulin to treat diabetes, but I've never encountered any claim that the pig/swine is our closest relative. Please show me the evidence.

INQ

I've heard about it several times on scientific debates it but here is a link (in English) I kept from an other topic on here (thinking that it could help one day) this is the day : http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/Discover/discover37.cfm

the bigining : "Another mystery of life has been unraveled, one DNA strand at a time. University of Illinois animal geneticists Lawrence Schook and Jonathan Beever have created a side-by-side comparison of the human genome and the pig genome that reveals remarkable similarities. "We took the human genome, cut it into 173 puzzle pieces and rearranged it to make a pig," said Schook. "Everything matches up perfectly. The pig is genetically very close to humans."

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    why did evolution choose to stop here on planet earth, or did it start here and will soon travel thru space to the other planets?

It still sounds like you're asking, "Why did evolution happen here and not anywhere else in the universe?"

The fact is, we haven't a clue if evolution is happening anywhere else. It seems incredibly unlikely that it isn't, but there's no way currently to know one way or the other.

As mentioned by others, evolution is just a name for a process. It isn't a thing, or a force, or even an intent. It's what happens when anything replicates imperfectly and has to compete with similar (and dissimilar) other things for resources.

I like the candy dish illustration. If you set out a bowl of M&M's, everyone will grab some. Some people will grab any of them, but some will pick out the red ones. Others like green ones. But NOBODY (for sake of the illustration) likes the blue ones. At the end of the day, without any intent on anyone's part, the bowl will contain nothing but blue M&M's.

If the M&M's could reproduce, blue ones may well fill the bowl. Then people would HAVE to pick a blue one. But they might prefer the ones that are uncracked. Sure enough, you wind up with a bowl of blue, cracked M&M's.

And so it goes...

Dave

• Warlock
    Warlock

the bigining : "Another mystery of life has been unraveled, one DNA strand at a time. University of Illinois animal geneticists Lawrence Schook and Jonathan Beever have created a side-by-side comparison of the human genome and the pig genome that reveals remarkable similarities. "We took the human genome, cut it into 173 puzzle pieces and rearranged it to make a pig," said Schook. " Everything matches up perfectly. The pig is genetically very close to humans ."

So, I'm a fool, an ignoramus, AND NOW I'M ALSO A PIG!!!!?????

OINK, OINK.

Warlock

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Ay, ay, ay.

LOL!

• RAF
    RAF

LOL Warlok OINK OINK ...

since I'm a human (well I think) I don't care form what evolution (related or not to a God) I'm coming from

Also the queston of evolution vs creation stays pointless to me regarding the question of God. But theories becomes facts for lots of people (even when it's not proove for good yet).

• Warlock
    Warlock
    why did evolution choose to stop here on planet earth, or did it start here and will soon travel thru space to the other planets?

It still sounds like you're asking, "Why did evolution happen here and not anywhere else in the universe?"

The fact is, we haven't a clue if evolution is happening anywhere else. It seems incredibly unlikely that it isn't, but there's no way currently to know one way or the other.

As mentioned by others, evolution is just a name for a process. It isn't a thing, or a force, or even an intent. It's what happens when anything replicates imperfectly and has to compete with similar (and dissimilar) other things for resources.

I like the candy dish illustration. If you set out a bowl of M&M's, everyone will grab some. Some people will grab any of them, but some will pick out the red ones. Others like green ones. But NOBODY (for sake of the illustration) likes the blue ones. At the end of the day, without any intent on anyone's part, the bowl will contain nothing but blue M&M's.

If the M&M's could reproduce, blue ones may well fill the bowl. Then people would HAVE to pick a blue one. But they might prefer the ones that are uncracked. Sure enough, you wind up with a bowl of blue, cracked M&M's.

And so it goes...

Dave

Dave,

I see what you are saying, but here is what we were taught about evolution, and it's very simple: From the primordial "soup" came life, and from the most simple one celled organism which evolved over millions of years, came every animal on earth, culminating in man. So when I speak of "evolution", this is what I mean, and I sure don't believe that. Now, this brings up another question: If "evolution ' is a process that is continuing, what is man evolving into? Warlock
  • AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

RAF,

The article you listed is interesting. I'm not sure that they are saying they actually used the entire human genome to recreate the entire pig genome, though. Forgetting for a moment what an incredibly difficult (if not impossible) task that would be, note the last sentence of the article:

Schook and Beever along with other U of I researchers are in the third year of a five-year study funded by the USDA to create comprehensive genome maps of the pig and the cow.

So they did not have a complete genome of the pig at the time they did the comparison. Moreover, they had a five-year study to merely map it. How long would it take to then compare it to another creature, note the sequencing differences, and rearrange them?

There are certainly useful similarities between pigs and humans, but that doesn't mean we can draw an evolutionary line straight from Porky Pig to Elmer Fudd.

One notable difference between us is the fact that pigs are able to manufacture vitamin-C. We can't, since our vitamin-C gene is damaged. We share this handicap with chimpanzees (and curiously, guinea pigs).

Dave

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    What is man evolving into?

The fossil record will say, millions of years from now.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

RAF,

The study you quote merely shows similarities between humans and pigs. That is not news. I can show you links that talk about similarities between humans and mice. It is on the basis of these similarities that medical research is performed on these animals as test subjects.

What you ought to have shown (which is what you ORIGINALLY ASSERTED) is that PIGS are genetically CLOSER to humans THAN APES.

I want proof of this statement.

INQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit