?Please explain Evolution to me in simple terms

by Guest with Questions 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mary
    Mary
    Please explain Evolution to me in simple terms

Here ya go............

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

In the beginning we were fish..mmkay...swimming around in the water. And then one day a couple fish had a retard baby, and the retard baby was different so it got to live. The retard fish goes on to make more retard babies, and then one day a retard baby fish crawled out of the ocean with it's...mutant fish hands. And it..had [xxxx] with a squirrel or something and it made this: retard frog squirrel. And then that had a retard baby which was a...monkey fish frog. And then this monkey fish frog had [xxxx] with that monkey, and that monkey had a mutant retard baby who [xxxx] another monkey, and that made you.

[xxxx] with a fish squirrel, congratulations!

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

I always wondered why I was drawn to bannanas and acorn hoarding. Now I know.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    So there you go. You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having xxx with a fish squirrel, congratulations!

I love South Park.

• startingover
    startingover

IMO, those who don't believe in evolution are just not able to fathom the vast times it takes for evolution to make changes.

Great illustration about the puzzle B_Deserter!

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Just here for a few moments. I was really surprised by the response. Not feeling well today. Will try to read all the threads over the weekend. Going to bed. Have a great weekend.

• Terry
    Terry

Thank you, Mary. I had a long, hard laugh. After this "discussion" I needed one.

Here is one point to consider.

Things aren't either completely True or completely False based on evidence like a light switch marked "on" or "off".

Truth and evidence are like a scale from 1 to 100.

100 would be absolute Truth which is forever unassailable.

None of us dwell with absolute Truth unassailable except in a few "givens" which are vanishingly rare.

So, the scientific evidence for evolution is somewhere on the scale from 1-100 and the evidence for creation is somewhere on the scale from 1-100.

Evolution is in the high 80's, I'd personally say, in my mind.

Creation is in the low 20's, likewise.

So, I'm not absolutely sure about all things Evolution nor am I completely Atheist.

But, if you look at my scale of conviction and belief you'll see exactly where I am about each.

The proof for the Evolutionary Theory is overwhelmingly obvious to an honest inquiry.

The proof for a Creator is remarkably thin.

I'm convinced about Evolution. Not irrevocably and utterly about every last facet, but; enough to state with confidence.

At least, now, I have something substantial and non-ethereal to back up my conviction. Whereas, when I was deeply religious I had very little more than clever wordplay and superstition.

T.

• Warlock
    Warlock

People who do not believe in God usually want proof. They want to see God. I cannot give you that proof, and I admit it, not just here and now, but I have stated this on some other threads.

Now, in the way you want to see God, I want to see those transitional species that are between monkey and man. The "they disappeared" excuse just won't cut it. They were supposed to be the superior species and they are nowhere to be found. Maybe they are nowhere to be found, because they never existed.

Maybe they were really the inferior species and we, being above them, are the most inferior of them all and will naturally become as they are now, extinct. Does that make sense? Yeah, about as much as the superior transitional species dying off and the inferior species surviving, namely monkeys.

What ever the case, I will look at some things that Dave suggested.

Warlock

• press any key
    press any key

Warlock They were supposed to be the superior species Evolution only makes the new species superior in their current environment, when the environment changes (very cold winter, new predator etc) what was once an advantage could easily become a disadvantage and so the intermediate species dies off. Population A splits into two separate groups. A2 evolves into B then into C. New predator arrives and finds B particularly tasty. So A1 still exists in a separate population and C in the new group. Rinse and repeat. I note from your 70/10 SMA comment that you're a trader??? What do you trade? cheers pak

• PoppyR
    PoppyR
    Under that system, the brown haired, brown eyed, 5ft tall people of the world would think of themselves as a different life form than the blond haired, blue eyed, 6 ft tall people (again, just an illustration here).

You see this doesn't make sense, because a brown haired 5ft tall person can quite happily mate with a 6ft tall blond person and produce beautiful babies that have charachteristics of both. As can a tiny dog mate with a great dane, the offspring will still be a dog and only be able to mate with other dogs.

The fact someone with brown skin has evolved to the environment is one thing, they are not changing species. And if they mate with someone with white skin the children will get lighter again. Is this evolution? Or just as you get a particular type of pedigree dog by interbreeding, is it not more likely that two dark skinned people mated, and moved away and could survive in a hot land, and slowly the group got darker and more distinct features, If the dark skinned thing is true, what possible evolutionary benefit could it have been to have thicker lips? Or for oriental people to have slanted eyes?

And I SO understand the question about there being NOTHING in the world today that is between the species. They are distinct. If we have evolved and adapted to our environment, why are we all still living together doing our respective jobs? No doubt some of you will be shaking your heads and thinking how stupid that is, but to me, it's just common sense.

Thanks to Warlock and Dave for making this a really interesting discussion. I'm still on the fence, but have some better understanding.

Poppy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit