?Please explain Evolution to me in simple terms

by Guest with Questions 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Nonrandom survival of random variations. That's about as simple as I can make it.

Most of the other explanations given in this thread should be useful, with the obvious exceptions of Legolas who is for some reason recommending superstitious nonsense that has nothing to do with the subject, and of course Warlock who is unjustifiably proud of not understanding the first thing about evolution.

To really understand evolution may take a bit of work. If it was that easy, someone would have figured it out before Darwin! However, there are shortcuts: http://talk.origins.org is an excellent resource which will probably be able to answer any specific questions you have. If you want a simple introduction, Richard Dawkins' DVD "Growing Up in The Universe" is available from http://www.burningshed.com/rdshop.asp

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Uploaded here is an illustrated drawing of a very important molecule found in every living cell of humans, a protein molecule called Laminin.

.....just for fun.

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Evolution is all to do with the change of genes passed down through generations of life

The changes are caused by mutations

A lot of mutations have no benefit or give a disadvantage however some give members of a species that have the mutation an advantage over members that do not

Gradually the members that have the mutation become dominant and the species has evolved, remember though that evolutionary change can occur due to climate and circumstance so evolution does not neccessarily mean improvement as a whole, eg a members of a species migrate to a snowy climate over time it is probably advantageous to have white fur and more fat reserves which is an improvement for that isolated group but would be no good for members living in a lush green forest

Repeat this process over millions of years and you have the broad genetic diversity which we have today

This has been simplified a lot btw

• RAF
    RAF

Mariusuk : That was shortly very well explaned and provable (whithout the details wich are theories).

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.
    It's all about that ... and since they chose the monkey (just because it looks more like us instead of the swin which have more in common genetically) it looks like since there is no real answer it's easier even for a scientist to clame that the monkey is our ancestor.

Urg! This is so stupid it beggars beliefs, "they" did not chose the monkey, in fact no one claims we are descended from monkeys anyway, it has been shown that monkeys, apes and humans share a common ancestor, monkeys, apes and humans all evolved FROM this ancestor, this is not because we vaguely look like a monkey (although some do) but because we are extremely close to monkeys and apes genetically speaking

If people are going to respond to a scientific question they should actually do some research and not rehash what they have read on some rubbish anti evolutionary tract or website

• eclipse
    eclipse
    Urg! This is so stupid it beggars beliefs, "they" did not chose the monkey, in fact no one claims we are descended from monkeys anyway, it has been shown that monkeys, apes and humans share a common ancestor, monkeys, apes and humans all evolved FROM this ancestor, this is not because we vaguely look like a monkey (although some do) but because we are extremely close to monkeys and apes genetically speaking

That was perfect!

• Terry
    Terry

Simply put, evolution is a myth.

Men wrote the Bible, and men wrote all the books explaining evolution. Those who wrote about evolution are as loony as those who wrote about a creator.

Warlock

Both the Bible and Evolution are attempts at explanation. To be useful (or accurate) either/both must FIT reality or not.

The "fit" is testable and falsifiable or not.

You've heaved a large brick into the plate glass window of Bible factory and Evolution bakery and the shards are everwhere!

Would you care to explain your violence beyond mere nihilism?

In what ways does Evolution not fit reality? Do you offer a third alternaive?

(Hint: mere disagreement is not a reason)

• Warlock
    Warlock
    In what ways does Evolution not fit real ity? Do you offer a third alternaive?

The reality is that we were not there when everything began, so then, it's all speculation as to how everything got here.

I believe there is a God who created the earth and everything in it. Others believe that everything got here by chance.

I would say that the most logical, rational and common sensical conclusion one can reach is the existence of a creator. Others would say that I am crazy.

All of mans negative qualities aside, do you REALLY believe men evolved from animals? Why is there this large chasm between man and the lower life forms on this planet?

Please show me the great cities, financial systems, and governmental structures that the lower animals have created. Not just presently, but thru history.

Show me the music halls where the great musical compositions of lower animals are enjoyed.

Please show me anything even close.

Other than "I've never seen God", show me where I am wrong.

Warlock

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Evolution is the gradualprocess by which living things have been produced in such a wide variety ever since the Origin of life.

INQ

p.s. Mariusuk, your response to an ingratiating post made me LMAO!

• 5go
    5go
    All of mans negative qualities aside, do you REALLY believe men evolved from animals? Why is there this large chasm between man and the lower life forms on this planet?

There is none were not even the only animal to use tools or make war or form higher social structures. On a macro scale we are exactly the same as the rest of life on this planet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit