?Please explain Evolution to me in simple terms

by Guest with Questions 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

Intelligence is in the eye of the beholder.

Can man equal the honeybee in there work abilities? Have you ever studied an ant farm? A dog can detect when a person is going to experience a seizure well before it happens........can a man do this?

Those are just a couple of simple examples and do not even come close to the more complicated things that what we call "lower life" can do that humans cannot do.

As was said......Intelligence is in the eye of the beholder.

Gumby

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

One other point to toss in here. The "Theory of Evolution" isn't a "theory" in the usual sense of the word. In non-science-speak, a theory is something you're kicking around, that may or not be true, and you might have 3 or 4 theories about the same thing.

In science, a theory is where all of the currently understood facts point. It's an explanation or a model that accurately describes something. (Like "cell theory", for instance. No one thinks living things *might* be made of cells, we all accept that they *are* made of cells.)

So the name is confusing, but don't let it throw you. Evolution is not an idea the scientists are batting around, it's the explanation of how species came to be.

Dave

• Warlock
    Warlock

Warlock wrote:

: Just as a side question, why did evolution choose to stop here on planet earth, or did it start here and will soon travel thru space to the other planets?

Good Lord! This is one of the most stupid questions I've ever seen. As Enrico Fermi was fond of saying, the ideas behind it are not even wrong.

Evolution is an observed process . The question is like asking, Why did the process of photosynthesis stop here on planet earth, or did it start here and will soon travel thru space to the other planets?

AlanF

So, Alan, the universe is millions or billions of years old, with stars and planets and whatever else, and the evolutionary process started here on earth? Just here? Such a "stupid" question on my part can surely be answered by someone with your superior intelligence. Or is it just a "stupid" question because YOU can't answer it? Warlock

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

I was given the impression that this thread was started with the intention of UNDERSTANDING the theory* of evolution, not to contest its credibility. And surely not to reduce this informative discussion into a squabble over who called who what and who is smart, who is stupid.

INQ

*great point there AA (Dave)

• Warlock
    Warlock

INQ,

These threads usually "evolve" into this.

I think it's a given.

Warlock

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

This is so typical of an interesting discussion that had degenerated because those that believe in evolution insist on calling anyone who disagrees with them stupid and uneducated.

I am neither stupid or uneducated, and was enjoying the debate, and had many questions like warlock such as why is there nothing that is between species?

But now... dare I ask them because someone will no doubt shoot me down in flames because I am so STUPID for not knowing what I believe any more after almost 40 years in a mind control cult.

We've all come from a place where we are told what to believe, hopefully now we can all respect each others opinions even if we disagree.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Warlock: What makes you think our planet is the only one?

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    These threads usually "evolve" into this. - warlock

Oh yes, I trust you even knew this from the start, warlock.

I am neither stupid or uneducated, and was enjoying the debate

Poppy dear, my point was, going by the thread title, this WASN'T MEANT to be a Debate!! It says: "explain", not "justify". I cannot understand why under such a title, some would deliberately post to challenge the theory. How do you explain something by picking a fight with it?

Do I explain to my kid what God is by prefacing my reply with "First of all, He is a myth"??

INQ

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    such as why is there nothing that is between species?

The concept of "species" is a human-invented one, not one that biology has forced on anybody. One way speciation occurs is when a population of the same species gets split apart (Some migrate to the other side of a mountain, for instance.) The new environment creates new pressures and encourages new changes. Meanwhile, the old environment encourages changes on the remaining population. In time, the changes accumulate in both populations such that when a member of one meets the other, they are either incapable of mating, or are not interested in mating. Then a biologist jumps out from behind a blind and declares them different species.

You'd never "see" speciation occuring. You'd only be able to see -- after the fact -- that two populations that used to be together are no longer able or willing to mate. (This is why the question "Who does the first member of a new species mate with?" is a non-issue. There is no such thing as a "first member of a new species".)

Dave

• RAF
    RAF

Marisiuk

in fact no one claims we are descended from monkeys anyway,

it has been shown that monkeys, apes and humans share a common ancestor, monkeys, apes and humans all evolved FROM this ancestor, this is not because we vaguely look like a monkey (although some do) but because we are extremely close to monkeys and apes genetically speaking.

It means the same (weither your talking about ancestor which evoluate but you have to evolve from something NO) what is a common ancestor ... what is lucy to us for the Evolutionarist ?and what comes lucy from ?
    Yeah what about the swin ? (genetically speaking)

You guys really PFFFFFFFFFFFF !!! (without the details it was ok but with such details and mixe you're lost)

But again why arguing ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit