Does Anyone Know Any of the Newer GB Members? Please share your stories.

by neverendingjourney 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Ok maybe I didn't want to see those pictures.

TJ looks like an evil child killer, or something sinister like that.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

This guy is pre-qualified to fill in any vacancies just fine.....

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I personally know Geoffrey Jackson. He grew up in Hobart, Tasmania, a very small cold state at the bottom of Australia. His family and his wifes family are some of the original blood line of Tasmanian JW's. In short, he is very intelligent, a great orator, extremely funny, a really nice person, but an indoctrinated Watchtower man through and through.

Geoff's Father in Law - Frank Alcock - brought my family into the "Truth", and also studied with me when i was a teenager. His Father in Law was very strict - I remember once buying incense, and did get a roasting at my next study. I was read scriptures about how Jehovah hates incense other than if burnt by the Priests and under the Mosaic Law would have been stoned to death.

Geoff married Jenny Alcock and they went to Tuvalu as special pioneers, they could not be termed missionaries as they did not attend Gilead. There Geoff translated the first (possibly only) Tuvaluan dictionary, and hence became quite close to the King of Tuvalu, being invited to his special dinners. BTW, Tuvalu has only about 4000 inhabitants, is shaped like a 1 km banana, and the highest point is only half a meter, so will be one of the first countries to disappear with global warming.

After that Geoff and Jenny served on the Fijian Branch committee, and from memory another Branch in a neighbouring country, before being taken to Brooklyn.

Geoff is only in his fifties and did not get ‘born again’ until his forties. That was a great shock to the hardcore JW family, who found it hard to accept that Jehovah would pick a young JW as one of the 144,000 when there were so many older ones to choose from. It was also hard for his wife to accept that she would not live forever on earth with Geoff.

Ask around Hobart what people think of Geoff being chosen for the Governing Body and most would say he is nice enough and deserves it. Others though have commented that he is too much of a comedian and displayed shock at the appointment.

Jenny is now very sick, so I do wonder how it will affect Geoff’s perception of Watchtower theology if she was to die.

I personally can not understand how someone with Geoff’s intelligence could be on the Governing Body and believe it to be Jehovah’s tool, so have some hope that he may be able to affect great change, or else leave it. But that thought is tempered by the knowledge that the most intelligent of people are not immune to mind control after a life of indoctrination.

• garybuss
    garybuss

It's important to me personally whenever I think about the Watch Tower Corporation body of governors to understand how the succession of the power to channel with the spirit world works. Rather . . . how does the claim work? How does this prophet body succeed to the duties of a long line of dead governors who claim to be spirit channelers? What's the principle of succession?

What was the nature of the sequence? That's important to me, because if the nature of the sequence of the succession of governors was divine, then how can there be deletions of individual governors? And if the sequence is divine, is it divinely directed? Or is it just divinely observed, like God watching a tornado?

• sf
    sf

they made a life out of perpetuating one of the biggest theological scams in the history of religion. They all seem pious and hungry for glory. Watchtowerland is a real escape for people like that. In the real world, they would be nothing more than uneducated custodial workers. But in Watchtowerland, they are powerful, holy, spirit-appointed princes that will rule the earth from heaven with Christ!

And yet, many, even elders who have posted here for over four years now, STILL FOLLOW THEM, as if.

Mind boggling.

sKally

• Arthur
    Arthur
    He apparently almost caused a minor revolt at one assembly when he told the crowd that American football was too violent and therefore inappropriate for Christians.

I remember when Losch made these statements numerous times. As I recall, this was about ten years ago when I went to Bethel to visit some friends there. A Bethelite friend told me how Losch made these identical comments to the Bethel family. As could be expected, it caused quite a stir; which included many jokes at Losch's expense.

My friend told me that after Losch made these statements to the Bethel family, a joke started circulating around Brooklyn that the NFL stands for "Not For Losch".

• nvrgnbk
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

The football remark created a big stir in my area. Quite few elders were openly critical about the comment, which was made by a governing body member. I found that scandalous at the time since I was a faithful dub back then. I said many times that if someone was not willing to a listen to a GB member then they had no business being a JW in the first place. Of course, most dubs are completely oblivious to the JW hierarchy. Many of them had no idea what it meant to be part of the governing body. In fact, quite a few JWs described the comment as "a comment that reflected the speaker's personal opinions, not those of the society," but he WAS the society, at the highest level. It always troubled me that long-time faithful dubs couldn't see that, even many elders. It speaks to how well R&F JWs are informed. I'm glad I'm no longer a part of that mess.

Thanks for the comments.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I remember back when Bro. Losch, said that ridiculous statement. I was just waking up from my afternoon ciesta, and was busy scoping out the WT "babes", sitting by my dad (lifelong Green Bay Packer fan), and we heard the ignorance spill forth from the platform. He was questioned aftewards by attendants, and one of them requested to see the outline, the football part WAS NOT IN THERE, it was an editorial comment from Losch and a personal OPINION!!!! My dad, and many other family members and friends discussed that point the rest of the convention on what a "Wacko" that Losch was. Losch was also nice enough to run the last talk of the District convention over by more than an hour and 20 minutes!!!!! He then followed that up with a 15 minute closing prayer. During the time he was running his talk over, MANY, MANY people left, including one large black lady with a bright red hat, that was sitting on the floor near the stage. She got up and made a large waving motion to her family in the upper concourse, during the talk, and they all walked out, one of the funniest things I've ever seen at an assembly.

If there is one "higher up Dub" that I could kick square in the nuts, Losch would be the one.

• unique1
    unique1

I know Brother Herd. He was our CO several years back. Really nice guy. Too nice to be on the GB. He may very well be that lower 1/3% of the vote that Crisis of Conscience always speaks of.

I will never forget during one of his talks a the Special Day he mentioned how brothers should help their wives with the cleaning. He said it was easy to do simple things to make her life easier such as wiping down the shower after you get out. People do that??? Anyways I gave my hubby a good look to make sure he heard that. Not that it worked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit