Does Anyone Know Any of the Newer GB Members? Please share your stories.

by neverendingjourney 35 Replies latest jw friends

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

I met Geoffery Jackson last year when he visited Charlotte, NC. The family he was staying with took him to Discovery Place to see the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit. The family was so impressed that he was able to pick out the tetragrammaton out of the scrolls.... I was like "whatever..."

Anyway I met him at the KH on a Saturday afternoon where he was giving a special talk. I had talked to him for a few minutes and he seemed like a down to earth sort of person, told me a few jokes also. I made a video of the talk he gave at the hall, I'll see if I can upload it and send the link.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    The one I know is Guy Pierce. He was our CO back in the day. He is a hard-liner, no-nonsense kind of guy. His wife, Penny, is more likeable.

Same here. He was a substitute CO once and is from the Seattle area. I thought Guy was very nice, approachable, and kind. His wife Penny, is Chinese, very nice woman..............very smart.

• watson
    watson

The picture of Guy Pierce makes me think of "Grandpa" from "The Munsters."

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Here's a thread I started a while ago on comments from a Bethelite about the new GB members:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/130704/1.ashx

Could someone activate it for me? The gist is that these guys are real company men and you'll see no innovations for the better from them. These are executives in a publishing company. Not a real Bible scholar in the bunch.

Sam Herd was one of my elder school instructors and a DO in my circuit. Seemed OK in some ways, but nothing especially noticeable about him. Down to earth is a good description - at least as down to earth as someone who's life has been taken care of by the WTS can get!

S4

• White Dove
    White Dove

I knew Guy Pierce and his wife Penny. He gave a talk at our hall in about 1996 and said that class reunions are not for Christians and to not go because you will not find any JWs there. That is the first time that I ever heard something from the platform that I was going to violate. My class reunion was to be the very next year and I was going to attend. For other reasons, I didn't go:( I think Pierce is hard core and is the take over type.

• neverendingjourney
  • brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Guy Pierce served as the CO for a circuit I was in only briefly because I had moved, but it was obvious the man was incredibly rigid. His wife was quite nice, but I didn't speak to her much, leaving it instead to the admiring crowd of stay-at-home elder's wives. As an elder's wife forced to work full-time because my husband "couldn't" get a full-time job, I had nothing in common with her. The CO's and their wives always seemed to operate in a bubble of unreality. How could they even begin to understand what I was dealing with - bills, daycare, a long commute, car repairs and a husband who always was available to take on more responsibility in the congregation but was content to work part-time as a school bus driver.

Maybe that's why Herd's comments are so infuriating - "give them a five, ten or twenty for their make-up"???? You have got to be kidding me! But in Watchtowerland (love that btw) wives didn't work so of course they didn't have access to the money. What a crock.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

Guy Pierce - hardline. He was our bookstudy conductor back before the day when he became a CO. Very much a company man - WT comes way ahead of Bible.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    "give them a five, ten or twenty for their make-up"????

He sure has no clue how much makeup costs!

• Deleted
    Deleted

Guy Pierce was our CO in rural Portland OR around the time we were at our JW peak (MS, pioneer) so he ate at our home a couple of times. As said elsewhere his wife Penny is very nice, but he is a hardliner, and evidently the 'right' man for the job. I wouldn't expect him to lead the reformation that the WTS clearly needs, or even to consider it needs one. Glen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit