Does Anyone Know Any of the Newer GB Members? Please share your stories.

by neverendingjourney 35 Replies latest jw friends

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I have read some threads here that suggest that anyone thinking big changes are coming to the Watchtower due to all of the new GB appointments is fooling themselves. It’s been said that Ted Jaracz has been heavily involved in selecting new GB members and wants to ensure that they all share his hard-line vision for the religion. I must admit that I thought there would be big changes by now since six of the nine GB members were appointed within the last eight years. Obviously, no big changes have come through the pipes. The GB usually has around 12 members, so there are apparently three slots waiting to be filled. The type of people that get appointed might make all the difference in the direction the Watchtower sets for the future.

I’ve only seen one of the newer GB members up close, Gerrit Losch. I have to say that I was quite unimpressed by him. He reminded me of the type of hardcore brothers that were around in the 1980s when I was growing up. He mentioned specific titles of movies that JWs should not watch. I remember CO’s used to do that all the time about 15-20 years ago. He apparently almost caused a minor revolt at one assembly when he told the crowd that American football was too violent and therefore inappropriate for Christians. I wasn’t there, but I knew a lot of people that were there and told me about that. Some brothers mentioned that he grew up under persecution behind the Iron Curtain or some such thing as an explanation for his strict demeanor. A few more Losch-like GB members and I could definitely see the Watchtower becoming more cultish in the future.

Have any of you met, seen or heard any of the newer GB members? What are your impressions? Do they seem hardcore or do they seem like people that would be open to mainstream changes in the religion?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Good topic never!

Here's my take on it:

Is the Watchtower Boring Itself to Death?

I also think they would all benefit from an increase in dietary fiber.

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses- Will They Ever...

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

The only one I knew personally, other than Ray Franz, was Lyman Swingle. But he died in 2001. Its hard to say just how genuine those men actually are/were. I mean, they made a life out of perpetuating one of the biggest theological scams in the history of religion. They all seem pious and hungry for glory. Watchtowerland is a real escape for people like that. In the real world, they would be nothing more than uneducated custodial workers. But in Watchtowerland, they are powerful, holy, spirit-appointed princes that will rule the earth from heaven with Christ!

• willyloman
    willyloman

The one I know is Guy Pierce. He was our CO back in the day. He is a hard-liner, no-nonsense kind of guy. His wife, Penny, is more likeable.

Before I exited the org, back when I was in "reform mode," I wrote a long four page letter to Guy, congratulating him on his appointment and offering him a report "from the front lines." The letter raised a number of issues and suggested several reforms that I (at the time) thought were really important. While I was writing it, I was absolutely sure he would be delighted to get it. After I read it over, I realized it would cause me a great deal of trouble and so I never sent it.

When I began posting here in '03, I went back and reread it after seeing a thread on WT reform. I believe I alluded to some of the reform ideas in an old, old post. By then I was convinced the WT was beyond reform, an opinion I still hold.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I met Steve Lett about 5 years ago. He seemed kinda stiff...odd duck. I have a picture of him and another DO and someone else. His wife was pretty (at the time)...I thought, "what kind of schmuck did YOU marry?"...(I guess that goes back to cute JW sisters marrying dorky JW brothers....I guess I was not dorky enough). When Lett gives a talk, you think his face is made of silly putty. He is very animated, but his subject matter is .. by its very nature... crap. The talk I heard him give was in front of a very limited audience (under 30 people), and it was invitation only , so we seen his facial expressions up close and personal.

I knew Sam Herd some years ago when he served as a district overseer in our area. He and his wife were very kind to me. "Encouraged" me to reach out for different things...some I attained to, others not. I know they meant well, at least within the confines of the Borg After he left the area, I wondered what happened to him..then he pops up on the GB. go figure.

As for older members (dead and alive):

I met Lyman Swingle at his congo in Bensenhurst....I thought he was a pompous self-righteous ass. (stupid story that one)

I met Dan Sydlik on several occasions. He was funny and I liked him OK. After the first time meeting me, he remembered me by name after that.....no matter what state I met him in (at conventions)..back when I thought it was a cool way to spend my vacations...visiting multiple conventions each summer.... what the hell was I thinking?... and never once picked up a JW sister. As he got older, he might forget my name, but always remembered why he knew me and remembered my mom. (long story for another time)

I met John Barr when he came to give a talk at our SAD. Was supposed to have dinner with him and his wife last time he was scheduled, but he had to cancel his visit last minute because of his wife's health. Never seen him again after that.

I almost met Fred Franz when I temped at Bethel back in the 80s. I had met his assistant at lunch one day and he offered to take me to Fast Freddies room. They told me that he liked to tell stories and he liked to drink...dont know if it was true. For some reason the assistant and I could not get out connection together while I was there. (I did confirm that the bethelite really was in the executive offices, so he was legit and not pulling a "lets play games with the temp" routine,...I was on to THAT game early on...never got caught in that net)

SnakesInTheTower (of the "met a lot of GB, not impressed with most of them" Sheep Class)

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Does anyone have pictures they can post of them?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

At minimum, two of the above members, perhaps three, have died.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Barber, Schroeder and Sydlik are dead.

• R.F.
    R.F.

I've conversated with Samuel Herd on a couple of occasions, one of those was about 4 months ago at a Special Assembly Day. That's certainly not time enough to be well acquainted with him but he seemed pretty nice to me. Is wife seemed very down-to-earth also.

R.F.

• Confession
    Confession

Samuel Herd, the lone African-American on the body, was our District Overseer in Michigan back in (I think) the early 90s. Our congregation (curiously) was the "host congregation" twice during his time. (In case you forgot, only occasionally, the C.O. would bring the D.O. to whatever congregation he was visiting. That would be the "host congregation.")

My memory is that he came across as a very down-to-earth person. I remember him striking me as just a touch too down-to-earth. Almost a contrived persona he liked to project. To be even more descriptive, I'd call it a sort of old-fashioned, conservative, down-home, folksy quality. I wouldn't describe it as particularly "warm." It seemed like his talks always tried to demonstrate the simple common-sense in certain things.

I remember him giving a talk about not moving from town to town. He kept using the metaphor, "grow where you're planted." I also remember him conducting the School during a Circuit Assembly and counseling the brothers. "I noticed you all wore nice suits. They looked very nice, but they didn't all need to be dark. It's okay to wear lighter-colored suits; nothing wrong with it. Christendom's clergy might always be known for wearing dark suits, but we don't need to look like them." Then he'd counsel brothers to understand their wives' need for purchases, such as make-up, telling us they needed these things to feel good. "So give 'em their five dollars, and ten dollars, and twenty dollars..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit