So non-flat-earthers - what do you think of those who accept a flat earth?

by AlanF 86 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Thanks guys

John Doe - i never tried a loop-the -loop in a plane so I didn't know what happens! but I think I can imagine it would feel as you say from tv clips I've seen.

Twitch - I think I understand - I need to think about your explanation and let it sink in a bit more, I prolly won't get to sleep all night now trying to get my head around it lol!

• Twitch
    Twitch

No firestorms please. But be honest. Do you think that we are of a lower level of intelligence than those who accept round-earthers' theories?

I only say so - because whenever it comes up that someone dares admit to accountablility to the higher power that created our flat earth, he/she is soon trounced upon as if just short of needing rehab at the local mental health centre. Sarcasm, and innuendo begin to flow and ebb, and soon the person just ducks for cover. I don't blame them.

I'm not asking for voluminous explanation as to why we are so stupid in our reasoning - just honestly - should we just go off and commit suicide due to our inablility to see things from your reasonable perspective? Just curious.

I admit - I believe in a flat earth. Maybe just because I prefer it to the alternative. Or perhaps I am just a superstitious genetic hold over from the dark backwards continent of ancient times. I need my rabbit's foot flat, solid earth?

Sorry - no offence intended on either side of this aisle. I just don't see why we feel compelled to attack others, insinuating great lack of mental ability due to acceptance of something you have rejected. Never mind - I don't really want to know. But since I started the thread, I shall post it.

Nice one, 'cept they've proved that the earth is round, that is if you believe Copernicus, Kepler, John Glenn, etc.

But your point is taken and agreed with. Let us all bear witness to the ugly yellow underbelly of freedom,.....

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    Mulan, I'm saying the earth is like a pizza pie.

AlanF

And so is the moon..."that's amore"

~Merry

• gymbob
    gymbob

Forget the "loop-de-loop" in a plane, it still reacts to gravity on the planet, think bigger....do it in space!

Which way is north in space?

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Which way is north in space?

That way,.....

• gymbob
    gymbob

Twitch~

Loved your bio, but hate to burst your bubble....there is no north in space...that's the point silly boy.

You can always tell a Canadian...you just can't tell them very much. Gymbob

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

AlanF, if they don't goose-step to your flat-earth diktat, simply start a new topic to cast aspersions on those unruly roundies.

***Never mind - I don't really want to know.***

Exactly.

~Sue

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

(brief topic hijack to follow)

Hey Sad Emo,

To help yourself understand, do this mental exercise...I have found it to be liberating in trying to break away from forced physical conventions that I didn't even think about for most of my life.

First, picture the Earth hanging in space. Imagine it just like you always see it in pictures. Mostly in the U.S., it is presented to us from the perspective of North America in the upper left, and Africa in the lower right.

Now, expand your view point straight out from the Earth's equater to include the other bodies in our solar system as they are usually presented to us. In most pictures, the Sun is on the farthest left, then Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, and so on. Pull the image back farther in your mind until you can see the Sun and all of the planets. The reason that your initial mental picture will be similar to mine and to most people in the U.S. is simply because that is how we are taught to view the solar system. Even the putting the Sun on the left and the planets on the right is the way it is usually done. But why? As was mentioned, just because it has been done that way...convention. It is all from your chosen reference point though. Since there is no "up" or "down", or even "right" or "left" in space, we can have some fun with this exercise....

As I said, picture our entire solar system as you usually would (with the Sun on the left and the planets going off to the right). Close your eyes if it will help. Now, with Earth as the axis, slowly rotate the picture in your mind until the 4th-9th planets are on the left (upside down from "normal") and the Sun is on the right. At first, you will constantly have to keep forcing your mind to view the Earth "upside down". The Earth looks weird "upside down" doesn't it? But it isn't really upside down, it is just that your perspective has changed.

Now try rotating your mental picture around until you can zoom in and out of any point and fly to anywhere you want.

You'll never look at a globe the same way again.

I suppose that if people from the southern hemisphere had been the primary colonizers in the last few hundred years instead of the Europeans, our globes would have Australia "up" instead of "down".

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Alan F, I did not read your parody-thread of mine. But I have never insulted you and am sorry you elected this as great fun at my expense.

Jeff

• Twitch
    Twitch

Twitch~

Loved your bio, but hate to burst your bubble....there is no north in space...that's the point silly boy.

You can always tell a Canadian...you just can't tell them very much. Gymbob

Gymbob 'course there's a north in space. It's a few degrees off of Polaris. You know, the North Star,...... We here in the Great White NORTH know how droll it is to jest about cartesian references to random stars that just happen to lie perpendicular to the plane of the ecliptic. Boo Yah!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit