So non-flat-earthers - what do you think of those who accept a flat earth?

by AlanF 86 Replies latest jw experiences

• journey-on
    journey-on
    The post your trying to satirize is not a fair comparison, imo.

ditto.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Religion has tried to support or enforce belief in bad science in the past, just as it does with creationism now. Religion may or may not have pushed the idea of a "flat earth", that's a controversial subject.

Maybe geocentrism, the notion that earth is fixed in the center of the universe, would be a better example. This unscientific notion was definitely taught as Christian orthodoxy a few centuries ago.

So the question to modern day religionists who believe in creationism (be it of the young earth variety or not) is, how is your viewpoint any more defendable than geocentrism (or even the flat earth teaching)?

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Do you think that we are of a lower level of intelligence than those who accept round-earthers' theories?

Not of a lower level of intelligence.... You just see thinks dimensionally different. Perhaps you have evolved beyond the others and they are still stuck in the three-dimensional world where everything must be explained based on what the five physical senses project. Perhaps your evolution has taken you to a more spiritual dimension where you are now seeing both sides of the coin.

Be patient with them. They, too, may come full circle and develop the ability to see beyond this "if you can't see it, it ain't there" mentality. Remember, too, their experiences may not have taken them to this new level of comprehension. Sometimes the line has to go full circle to understand the whole.

• nvrgnbk
  • Open mind
    Open mind

Hey there Alan,

Rodney King here. (Can't we all just get along?)

1. You're one of my favorite JWD posters due to your brutal intellect. Some of your posts were VERY helpful to me as I was breaking free from the WT chains.

2. The other day I made a post giving Kudos to the Christians & believers on this board. My main point was: Our diversity is our strength. If a terrified JW lurker sees that there are still people who believe in Jehovah and Creation and the Bible on here, I say that's a good thing even though I no longer share those beliefs. In this case, I think the end (getting somebody out of JWism) justifies the means (maintaining a warm community of diverse beliefs).

3. One of my favorite Watchtower quotes was brought to my attention by Gary Buss. The gist of it was: 'Those who are living in a religiously divided household do well to keep a tactful tongue.' I think that's healthy advice for those who use this forum.

4. I'm not TELLING you or anyone else how to act, just gonna make a suggestion: Why go out of your way to make Creation believers feel intellectually inferior? Don't get me wrong, I personally enjoy reading a no-holds-barred intellectual debate. I say "reading" since I still consider myself to be a fledgling thinker and debater. I would humbly suggest a little more "truth in advertising" in a thread title.

5. I hope you don't think I'm trying to be a censor. I'm not. You have the right to post how you see fit (as long as the mods are OK with it). I just think JWD is such a valuable resource. Why not help keep it a little bit more "newbie/lurker friendly"?

6. Did I mention I really like the fact that you're here? (Yeah, I did) If these kind of threads are a necessary part of the overall AlanF package, then by all means keep 'em coming. Seriously. I missed your presence very much during the months you weren't posting much here.

OK, I'm ready for an a$$ kicking.

Respectfully,

Open Mind

• nvrgnbk
  • IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    OK, I'm ready for an a$$ kicking.

I'll be glad to do it for half of what Alan charges

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Is that really the goal Open mind?

Just extracting poor souls from their comfortable belief system?

Isn't that what the Watchtower wants us to be- simply venemous Watchtower haters?

Aren't we all trying to help one another to see reality, in all it's abominable glory?

I don't always get Alan, but I think he nailed this one.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well I am sorry Alan. I am just an old fashioned scientist. I like logic and reason and EVIDENCE. Now I am not against thinking outside the box - but I have seen the curvature of the earth persoanlly from a high altitude plane. I have witnessed eclipses. I see constellations and Galxies "appear to move" . All beautifully mathematically (and math is the purets science) explainable. So sorry - no I am a proud NON-FLAT EARTHER - but I do belive in Zeus - or was it Jupiter or Appollo - anyway , one of those ancient Gods.

By the way Alan - doesnt the flat earth stand on the backs of 4 turtles - or was it on the shoulders of Atlas

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hey Nvr:

Is that really the goal Open mind?

I don't think there's any one "goal" for JWD. This place reminds me of the Oracle Software Super Bowl ad that had the wranglers trying to herd cats. Did you see it?

Most of us "cats" would scram PDQ if JWD had a unified "goal".

It was just a suggestion. Take it for what it's worth. Which Alan can probably mathematically demonstrate to be < = 0.

Open Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit