So non-flat-earthers - what do you think of those who accept a flat earth?

by AlanF 86 Replies latest jw experiences

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Open,

Why not help keep it a little bit more "newbie/lurker friendly"?

I think this statement is probably at the crux of your argument, and it is one that I once held to myself when I first came to this Board. It is really an argument that is an evolution of the 'Good Witness' theory exalted by the WTS - back off in moments of controversy for the sake of a 'Good Witness', never tell the stark truth if it might drive people away, after all a 'Good Witness' might win that person to our side. I no longer hold to this idea, as it is arguably dishonest and while it may win short term friends, it is often at the sacrifice of truth and principle.

The point is that this Board is a mix of numerous personalities, characters and viewpoints. It is made up of different nationalities, financial demographic, social standing and intellectual capability. Adjusting our on-line behavior to suit any one of these differing stations means that we are trying to impute judgment in three dimensions where only one exists. Eventually we will need to see the flawed thinking in doing that. One is always better consistently speaking ones mind on subjects that are of interest than making it 'lurker' friendly.

As it is, a person does not have to click on any thread that might 'upset' them. They do not have to read or partake in any threads that may cause them upset, either emotionally or intellectually. Like the TV you are just one click away from 'freedom'.

HS

• Open mind
    Open mind

Good points Hillary Step.

it is arguably dishonest and while it may win short term friends, it is often at the sacrifice of truth and principle.

Agreed. I was pursuing a "means justifies the end" approach.

Guess all those poor newbies will have to continue fending for themselves like they've always done.

Somehow they'll get by without my "mother henning".

*Rodney King hangs up his cape in defeat*

Open Mind

(just wait 'til my brain gets done growing, then I'll come back and kick all your ..........)

• Warlock
    Warlock
    One is always better consistently speaking ones mind on subjects that are of interest than making it 'lurker' friendly.

Okay..............if it doesn't put food on the table or money in your pocket, who the hell cares about a "round" or "flat" earth, or even discussing it. It's like a cat chasing it's tail. Humorus to see, but that's it.

Warlock

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

If we can , for a moment, forget we are individual humans and look upon each of us as processing units working out possible answers to problems then we can find good reasons beyond simple intelligence claims for diversity. As we gain knowledge our imperfect systems will taken as an aggregate whole deduce a more factually accurate solution to the problem but that aggregate solution relies upon varying diversity. This diversity allows new ideas to be tried and sometimes to throw up novel truths that supplant the formerly held group conscensus. The critical points in this system are - the aggregate answer and fringe answers. The aggregate answer is the most useful answer for now but the fringe answers will one day challenge it.

Let's see how the above garbled idea works out.

Most people believe in a flat earth. This answer gives a benefit for the majority (maybe emotional stability?). The fringe look at wacky answers such as a pillared earth , or maybe a universe on the back of turtles but enough fringe thinkers (yesterday's establishment idiot's) postulate a curved earth. Today the spheroidal's hold the aggregate position but tomorrow may be owned by flat earthers (who would justify themselves with some mathematical model possibly based on extra dimensions and evidence from particle accelerators or maybe based on a hunch about what would happen if you went as fast as light..)

Holding out for a unique position is potentially brilliant, look for your Einsteins amongst the fringe lunatics and idiots.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Well there, John Doe. My comparison is extremely fair. Perhaps that's a good thing for you to ponder.

I understand completely what you're saying here, Open mind. I agree that it's a good thing to have a diversity of opinions based on various belief systems here. However, that doesn't mean that opinionated discussion ought not take place. After all, I'm not going to convince some people to change their beliefs, any more than they're going to convince me to change mine -- unless, of course, they present strong, conclusive, rational evidence. In my experience, these discussions, sometimes strongly worded, allow non-participating readers to form their own opinions based on information and viewpoints new to them. I know from personal experience that I wouldn't have learned nearly as much from a warm, fuzzy environment as I did from one where strong debate was the norm. Furthermore, experience shows that many "newbie/lurker" types benefit from being hit upside the head by viewpoints they might at first be offended by.

Now that wasn't so bad, eh?

stillajwexelder wrote:

: Well I am sorry Alan. I am just an old fashioned scientist. I like logic and reason and EVIDENCE.

Sorry to hear that.

: Now I am not against thinking outside the box - but I have seen the curvature of the earth persoanlly from a high altitude plane. I have witnessed eclipses. I see constellations and Galxies "appear to move" . All beautifully mathematically (and math is the purets science) explainable.

All these things are well explained by good flat-earth theories. Their methodology is admittedly different from secular scientists, but the evidence is in.

Tell me, do you really think that Australians hang by their fingers?

: So sorry - no I am a proud NON-FLAT EARTHER - but I do belive in Zeus - or was it Jupiter or Appollo - anyway , one of those ancient Gods.

Heathen!

: By the way Alan - doesnt the flat earth stand on the backs of 4 turtles - or was it on the shoulders of Atlas

It's turtles all the way down!

journey-on, your words are a bit too fuzzy for this poor flat-earther to fully comprehend, but I must comment that we rational flat-earthers really do go on reality rather than fuzzy notions of spirituality.

Mulan, I'm saying the earth is like a pizza pie.

AlanF

• wednesday
    wednesday

As it is, a person does not have to click on any thread that might 'upset' them. They do not have to read or partake in any threads that may cause them upset, either emotionally or intellectually. Like the TV you are just one click away from 'freedom'.

HS

Very true. The same can be said for allowing those who believe in and want to discuss UFO"s to do so , without being assaulted.

• startingover
    startingover
    In my experience, these discussions, sometimes strongly worded, allow non-participating readers to form their own opinions based on information and viewpoints new to them. I know from personal experience that I wouldn't have learned nearly as much from a warm, fuzzy environment as I did from one where strong debate was the norm. Furthermore, experience shows that many "newbie/lurker" types benefit from being hit upside the head by viewpoints they might at first be offended by.

Very true!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Wednesday,

Very true. The same can be said for allowing those who believe in and want to discuss UFO"s to do so , without being assaulted.

The problem with this viewpoint is that if does not allow for the fact that many view themselves as having been "assaulted" when a person merely challenges their statements. This is a pattern that one notices with regularity on this discussion Board. A person makes a statement, it gets challenged, they get offended.

Discussing controversial subjects, such as whether Unidentified Flying Objects are creatures from other planets, or whether the Bible is of Divine origin,or if Creationism is a fantasy, will result in challenging statements and provocative answers. If the fallout is untenable where our emotions are concerned, we are best scooting past these threads.

To a person used to the sort of debating that takes place at the average Jehovah's Witness bookstudy, that is, no debate at all for fear of censure, the real world can be a place full of 'assaults'. I am in no way directing this at you, as I do not know you from Adam, this is a general comment.

By the way, I see little difference between a debate and a discussion when such threads are introduced with a question mark at the end of them.

HS

• gumby
    gumby

Yip, they look identicle to me.

Gumby

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Yip, they look identicle to me.

Then try eating the BLUE one, Greeny!

Warlock

Share this

Google+