Do Witnesses have a Stronger Brotherhood than Christendom Does?

by gumby 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Overall and in general my feeling would be yes they do.

Slim

• BFD
    BFD
    The big "us and them" is not so much "us" as ex-members or inactive members against "them" as JWs...but JWs against everyone else.

Just that statement alone would lead me to believe that JWs have a stronger brotherhood or culthood is more like it. However, I am certain that there is much more brotherly love shown in the churches than I have ever witnessed in a KH.

BFD

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

IMHO, I think that the JW's feel strongly drawn towards each other (only whilst remaining faithful) as they all 'suffering' together and feel that only JW's understand what it's like to be a JW. They know if they talk about what it's truly like on the inside to someone on the outside, people would think they were nutcases. So they have this secret club bond. But once that's broken and you leave, they couldn't care less if they never saw you again so it's a weak brotherhood appearing to be strong.

• undercover
    undercover
    but JWs against everyone else.

Just that statement alone would lead me to believe that JWs have a stronger brotherhood

And that's what the WTS wants the rank and file to believe. That since they are alone in the world and have only each other, then they alone have a true Christian brotherhood.

You noted that more love is shown at others churches than at a Kingdom Hall. That may be, depending on the church or on the KH, but the reality is that true brotherly love can be shown at any church...or even at a Kingdom Hall. No one denomination or faith has a lock on it.

Some cultish types of religions want their followerers to think otherwise and try to convince them that they alone have a love that's not found elsewhere. That's the category the JWs fall into. And that's how their brotherhood comes into existance. "Us vs Them"...it keeps them bound together. But...it's not really a brotherhood of love, but of guilt and fear.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Randy Waters wrote a great article on this. Check it out:

Unity and Conformity: Why Only the Cults Seem to Achieve It

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Yes, I'd say witnesses do have a stronger brotherhood but it is based on their solidarity with the wbts. And as a witness one knew that one puts the wbts first above family and friends.

• BFD
    BFD

Very well put, Undercover, I could'nt agree more.

Thanks.

BFD

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Gumby:

No, I do not think they have a stronger brotherhood. The word 'brotherhood' should evoke feelings of love, etc. It may be more 'organized' or controlled but it is not really a brotherhood. They just keep saying it over and over again hoping to convince everybody it is so. They play songs designed to tug at your heartstrings to get you caught up in the feeling but it stopped working long ago. They say they have 'unity' but what they have is called "uniformity". Because we are examining them 'critically', the way they say we should examine other religions, we are able to see the distinction. As far as them being honest where you would let them watch over your house, etc. for the 'most' part that would be true but you had to be careful because they would overstep their boundaries. A person who doesn't respect boundaries might not think they are 'stealing' from you because your belongings belong to him, right?? And he assumes you will never have him prosecuted for stealing, right??

White Dove:

I agree with you that most friendships in the religion are just people "inflicted" on each other. Well, there were people there who I was determined would not be inflicted on me. I had some stupid but well-meaning person once tell me that I had to love the unlovable (whatever that means). If you mean "agape" love, well then would probably give that person food if they were starving. But, does this mean their association is to be "inflicted" on me like mental rape or something? I think they tried to sell this crap to women.

Undercover:

I agree that the friendships there, at best, are like the ones you have on a secular job. Once you leave the job, you seldom keep in touch. The difference, though, is that when you leave a job and you run into a former workmate they aren't forbidded to talk to you. I also agree that true brotherly love can be shown by any denomination. There are probably pockets of "true christians" everywhere whether they be christian denomination or not. It is how they behave towards their fellow man.

LHG

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Some other un-unique forms of "brotherhood"...

Sports teams (US vs THEM), when you're on a great winning team, everyone is all in a sort of super together-ness type of bond.

Fire Fighters and Police

The Military (Marines especially)

Gangs (US vs THEM), totally a super bonding takes place, members can become family-substitutes very easily.

and those in the likes of the Jim Jones klan, and the David Koresh "brotherhood" , etc.

I've experienced JW talking down about other JW in the same and other congregations, caught them lying to each other. Nothing special to me, just the "US vs THEM so let's bond" mentality.

• gumby
    gumby

Andre,

I know that no matter what I believe or differences I may have with my friends they would never turn their backs on me,

Did you know about disfellowshipping before? If so, did you know how they treat a DFed one?

a strong brotherhood would never shun you.

Is shunning scriptural? If so, is it possible to love someone yet have to shun them?

White Dove Chemo-sobie,

I think the word brotherhood is overly used

I'm talking like family kinda close. Like your related.

SweatPea, how ironic! Thanks for sharing that as that proves something. I'll bet they also have missionaries too.

Undercover ya bastard, you stole my damn comment!

Some cultish types of religions want their followerers to think otherwise and try to convince them that they alone have a love that's not found elsewhere. That's the category the JWs fall into. And that's how their brotherhood comes into existance. "Us vs Them"...it keeps them bound together. But...it's not really a brotherhood of love, but of guilt and fear.

Spot on! Witnesses believe they alone are gods friends and they believe they are above all else on the planet. This causes a family, a brotherhood. It's a people that have all given their allegiance to the same body of men, they are in the same club so to speak. Everything is based on love and trust in their eyes.

Drew,

I'd forgotten about that site from Randy's.....it's an awesome read! Thanks for the reminder.

Long Hair Gal,

I mainly was talking about really close witness friend and I realise I should have clarified.

I also can say as did Undercover that workmates are a good example that they can become close also.....like a dub. I realise from reading some of this that yes, there are many wordly people in my life that are closer than many of the witnesses.

This also much depends on how many "close" witness friends a person has had to answer this question since some may have NEVER been close to others in the Organisation. I had/have gobbs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit