Do Witnesses have a Stronger Brotherhood than Christendom Does?

by gumby 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Hi Gumby: It's great to see you instigating a post! How are things going on the "inside?"

I can address this from a Christian perspective. My family and I have been involved in a number of different denominations over the years, and yet we were all drawn close together in the brotherhood of our common personal relationship with Christ. And even when we left one denomination and attended a different one, we were never shunned, and maintained certain friendships despite the changes (the other friendships subsided with lack of time given to them, but there would never be any shunning involved and we sometimes attend festive "reunions" where we are all welcomed back with loving arms).

This is based on the understanding that the universal "church" is the "body" of Christ, made up of "believers" from all over the world, in any denomination, as long as they have trusted Christ alone for their salvation. It is not monopolized by any one group--so when I meet Christians when I am visiting another country, we do have an instant bond and unity (as happened recently at a ball-game, of all places).

That has been our experience, and we have not been impressed at all with the hollow, one-sided love proferred by the Witnesses.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

there were people from the hall that I would have trusted with my house or my kids, and there were people I just didn't know that well, or I new enough that I wouldn't want them to know we were leaving town! In other churches, I have had the same situation. Among my neighbors and family also. Some I'd trust, some I wouldn't. . .There are decent and good people in the org. and out of it.

• moshe
    moshe

The French Foreign Legion had a saying, "March or Die". Well, we know what happened to the stragglers in the desert when they stopped to rest. JW's seems to all be in lock step marching together into the new order. It's just an illusion of brotherhood as they have left tens of thousands of members behind who just couldn't keep up with the new light from the GB or manage strict schedule of meetings and FS.

We might be viewed as dead to the Borg, but most of us have found our own paradise and new friends.

• loosie
    loosie

They don't have a choice, they have to be close to each other. The WT removes them from their "fleshly" family. So they have to make close bonds on the inside. But those bonds can ripped apart in a heartbeat if you something that goes against what they say you should do.

Your "fleshly" family loves you no matter what you think or do. Or at least most do.

Like when I told me husband that I know we would never think of not going to our daughters wedding, whoever she married. Even if we had to go a tribe in Africa and wear grass skirts to attend (would be major culture shock) we would go no matter what.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I'm not a jdub and I have friends that watch my house when I go out of town, have kept my kids, watched my dog, have taken care of me when I was sick (surgery), cooked meals, picked up kids, washed clothes, cleaned house and I've done the same for them....Hell I'd trust them with my life and they will still be my friend even if we don't have the same religion.

That's better than the dubs to me.

nj

• Arthur
    Arthur

There is no doubt that true, genuine love is a major characteristic among most JWs. However, to assert that this love is absent from "Christendom" or other organizations is absolutely false. I have attended a local non-denominational church near my home for a while. It is a racially diverse church, and there is certainly a genuine love and affection that is on the same level that I have seen in the Kingdom Halls.

I have also attended various other spiritual groups over the last few years. I can say that there is a very genuine love in those places that even surpasses what I have seen in most Kingdom Halls.

Genuine love and brotherhood are not exclusive to any religion, church, or organization. Some organizations (for their own self-elevating purposes) however, would have people believe that it is.

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo

I have not gone to any other churches other then witnesses, so I can't comment about that part. I do have "worldly" friends that are closer to me then any witness ever was. And they help me out of love, not forced duty. It is refreshing to be around people who are not trying to keep up an image of piety.

I will say that when I was evicted from my home and ended up with no place to live, the local brothers did squat. Not even a ride to the kingdom hall so I could attend meeting. In contrast, when I was looking for an affordable place to live in south florida ( a difficult task ) a workmate who is very involved in her church offered me her own bedroom. She is an incredibly sweet lady who really cares for others. She showed me more compassion, unselfish kindness, and a listening ear more then any "sister" at the hall ever did.

• Marcel
    Marcel

tough question. i would like to know the answer too.

ive seen JWs stealing when the chance is there (even in the congregation). betrayers, liars, haters (in the back). gossip is a huge thing for JWs. and i think its couraged by the WTS... even though they say its wrong. but its that "what did brother xy do wrong?"-thing that helps the ball stay rolling.

but of course ive seen wonderful friends (as long as they stay the same faith of course), great trust and some kind of love.

to me (and i dont have a clue) it seems like JWs actually HAVE some unity. its way from perfect and in any congregation youll find some serious problems behind the curtain... but... i dont think i could find better in the church...

the only problem may be to use JWs "unity" as proof for being the "chosen ones".

• Marcel
    Marcel

one funny thing about this topic is, that as a JW you think JWs are ALWAYS honest hearted, loving and kind people - no matter what. you may say "but theres sister xy who did yx!". that may be true, but if she did it shes not a JW. yay!

of course other churches cant use this trick. if a catholic priest molests a child its the whole church which is bad.

• gumby
    gumby

I just want to thank everyone who responded.

The conclusion to this question it seems is that the brotherhood of the witnesses is NOT greater than the "world" offers in other churches as well as "worldly" friendships.......at least based on all the comments here.

Thanks again

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit